Friedman: Saros linked to devils and canes

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Nashville is closer to a playoff spot than NJ. No reason the Preds should move Saros right now. Nashville gets rockin in the playoffs!

Allen, Merzlikins, Markstrom, Vejmelka should be the targets for NJ

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I'm always baffled when people defend their arguments with the narrative that the Blues won with a rookie goalie, Vegas won with no-name Hill, Pittsburgh won with Murray.. blah blah.

Blues defense the year they won:

Pietrangelo
Bouweester
Parayko
Dunn
Edmundson
Gunnarsson

That is one hell of a defense. Perfectly built for the playoffs.

Vegas defense the year they won:

Pietrangelo
Theodore
Martinez
McNabb
Whitecloud
Hague

Again, probably the best top-6 defense for playoff hockey in the league.

Pittsburgh had two generational talents in Crosby and Malkin.

I'm sorry, but a team like NJD is nowhere near good enough to win with these types of goalies. Their defense is not nearly good enough. They actually DO need a decent goalie back there.
Yeah Nemec and Hughes have no future they are toast...Our whole strength of our prospects is defense problem is it brings up youth ....Devils stand pat they reap the dividends.....Make a trade in season might mess them up down the road....This year sell and call it a growth year revisit trades in offseason....

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Ken Dryden ?
Tuukka Rask, If you don't count seasons when he played less than 10 games..
Dryden posted a .906 when he was Saros' current age (27). Tuukka is an interesting case, considering he was goalie for the Bruins during a pretty successful decade or so. I could see a case for Lundqvist. It's also worth noting how much league scoring has gone up in recent years.

Point being - those are some of the best goalies of all time, and we're still sort of grasping at straws here. 1 season on a below average team does absolutely not insinuate that Saros is declining.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Nashville is closer to a playoff spot than NJ. No reason the Preds should move Saros right now. Nashville gets rockin in the playoffs!

Allen, Merzlikins, Markstrom, Vejmelka should be the targets for NJ
Calgary is also closer to a playoff spot than NJ I'm pretty sure

Bond

May 10, 2012
Calgary is also closer to a playoff spot than NJ I'm pretty sure
Nah, the way this is playing out is that Flames will take a crappier return in the summer because Edwards was too cheap to retain lol

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sadly this only supports that the devils should have traded for him earlier. Now it does nothing for them (at least not this year)
that's the thing with him, since he has term it is not jsut this year. come the offseason more teams will be in the market for him. I think Calgary should wait till the summer to try and get a better haul, I think New Jersey should try and get him now.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
that's the thing with him, since he has term it is not jsut this year. come the offseason more teams will be in the market for him. I think Calgary should wait till the summer to try and get a better haul, I think New Jersey should try and get him now.

Yeah, but you can check that out in the offseason when you can also look into other options that may not be available now (ullmark) or may provide you additional info (extension cost on saros).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah, but you can check that out in the offseason when you can also look into other options that may not be available now (ullmark) or may provide you additional info (extension cost on saros).
Ullmark should be available now.

Was just wondering if a Roy + Talbot for Ullmark deal would make sense

Bond

May 10, 2012
Sadly this only supports that the devils should have traded for him earlier. Now it does nothing for them (at least not this year)
Yeah. The Devils have to win both games this weekend but I think the ship has sailed. A markstrom + Hanifin/Tanev deal would have been perfect

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils should no longer be looking at Saros or Markstrom until the offseason if they're available still.
Focus on either a veteran that will be a FA in the offseason or go for younger options if there are any available. The playoff have likely sailed this year, best to just write it off and move on.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I mean you are 5 points back in a 3 way tie with two teams that were thought to be pretty much out it themselves. Jersey has a -10 goal differential, and below .500 for the season at home. Neither of those are good signs for a team looking to make the playoffs.
Might as well just give up and sell everything off then. Sends a good message to the young team.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I mean you are 5 points back in a 3 way tie with two teams that were thought to be pretty much out it themselves. Jersey has a -10 goal differential, and below .500 for the season at home. Neither of those are good signs for a team looking to make the playoffs.
Nothing some good goaltending and defense cant fix.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Might as well just give up and sell everything off then. Sends a good message to the young team.
They won't sell because they want to re-sign Toffoli, but they should if they are this far out at the deadline. They dont' have to sell right now, after all.

And if the young team didn't want that message, they should have won more games.

I mean, this is kind of on the team and the coaches. They know that they haven't been very good this year. They are big boys and understand what that typically means.

At this point, realizing that it's highly unlikely you're going to make the playoffs is just being pragmatic. Doesn't mean you give up, but if it's not getting better, it's okay that you shift focus to the long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: hidek91

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just because you've come to the conclusion you aren't going to get there that doesn't mean you also come to the conclusion you need to sell everything off.

It's a young team that probably got a bit ahead of themselves last season, probably underperformed in this one. The smart move is to just keep rolling, keep building, and make smart moves in the offseason to fill spots that you may not have an answer for in the pipeline.

The dumb thing to do is blowing assets on guys that just get you in right now. Saros is fine as long as you have determined you think he is the guy long term and want to extend him, otherwise it would be smarter to just wait when it looks like there will possibly be more opportunities in the market this summer.

Nothing some good goaltending and defense cant fix.
You may be right, but I think Fitzgerald has waited to long. It's a move that should have been made 2-3 weeks ago imo.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
They won't sell because they want to re-sign Toffoli, but they should.

And if the young team didn't want that message, they should have won more games.

I mean, this is kind of on the team and the coaches.

At this point, realizing that it's highly unlikely you're going to make the playoffs is just being pragmatic.
Coaching has been ass I’ll agree. Team looks like they have no chemistry. But we know what they’re capable of. Fitz can’t be the one to give up on the season. He has to figure out something to spark the team whether it be a trade or a coaching change. Just do something at this point.

And I don’t know if it was a typo but I do want them to re-sign Toffoli. He’s exactly what was expected imo.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Coaching has been ass I’ll agree. Team looks like they have no chemistry. But we know what they’re capable of. Fitz can’t be the one to give up on the season. He has to figure out something to spark the team whether it be a trade or a coaching change. Just do something at this point.

And I don’t know if it was a typo but I do want them to re-sign Toffoli. He’s exactly what was expected imo.

I don't know if they will get him signed, but apparently that was a thing on DFO the other day and Gregor said that they want to re-sign him. I think if they want to re-sign him, not trading him would go along way to helping that. I figure Toffoli may be suffering a bit from that Haula moving exhaustion to be honest. Not quite as bad, but what's he on now, like 5 teams in 6 or 7 years?

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
An off-year is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Tampa missed the playoffs in 2017, 2 years after a Stanley Cup Finals birth and right before that high 2018-2022 peak. Similar story with Washington 2014, Dallas 2021 and Vegas 2022.

New Jersey will be a contender for a while. Think of it as a development year for the young players on defense.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Just because you've come to the conclusion you aren't going to get there that doesn't mean you also come to the conclusion you need to sell everything off.

It's a young team that probably got a bit ahead of themselves last season, probably underperformed in this one. The smart move is to just keep rolling, keep building, and make smart moves in the offseason to fill spots that you may not have an answer for in the pipeline.

The dumb thing to do is blowing assets on guys that just get you in right now. Saros is fine as long as you have determined you think he is the guy long term and want to extend him, otherwise it would be smarter to just wait when it looks like there will possibly be more opportunities in the market this summer.

You may be right, but I think Fitzgerald has waited to long. It's a move that should have been made 2-3 weeks ago imo.
They may be young but their window is open now. The rest of the teams in the bubble in the East are struggling too so, while I understand why Devils fans are down right now, I think they can still go on a hot streak and make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad