Friedman: Saros linked to devils and canes

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s a lot more to being a really good goaltender, than simple save percentage. Any of Saros, Markstrom or Gibson, is an upgrade in net. The type of goalies who can bail out the mistakes we’re seeing from these young dmen.

They’re in a real tough spot. If they choose to pursue a Hanifin for example, they probably still don’t have the goaltending, and also create future cap hurdles, with another big salary on the blue line, with 2 more coming.

They chose to go this route with the kids and Hamilton. That was a big decision. They couldn’t have been stupid enough, not to know it was going to take 2-3 years before the kids mature, and Hamilton isn’t exactly the type to protect them much, even if he’s there.

The big move to make, is in net. Not only would a Saros or Markstrom bail out those young dmen much more….. as they keep maturing, they’ll have a much better chance to contend quicker.

There’s only so many more games like tonight, before it’s time to cash the season in. It certainly doesn’t look like Detroit, Tampa or the Islanders are going anywhere. Every win Detroit and the Isles get, makes the decision to wait for the summer easier BUT who’s to say there’s a goaltender as good as either, still available?

Generally, when you have a chance to grab a core piece to your team, you do it. Even if it doesn’t work out this season. Like I said, they chose to go through the ups and downs with the kids. Go get a goaltender who helps it not hurt as much.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Pointless trade with this coaching staff.

Ruff is a perennial loser who hasn't jack shit in DECADES of coaching.

Travis Green is a fraud and a huge downgrade on Brunette.

Goalie "coach" Rogalski might be the worst in the entire NHL. He'd probably manage to make Saros a bottom 10 goaltender.

Reactions: My3Sons

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I just don't really understand them not trading for a goalie. Your top player has been asking for a goalie. You're losing important games down the stretch here.

And it isn't just that Markstrom or Saros is better. They give your team confidence in front of them to play more loosely and take more risks. Overall the team will get a huge jolt of energy.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
It's insanity that the Devils haven't traded for a goalie. Season will be lost and they will miss playoffs at this point.

At this point, even Jack Hughes has been preforming pretty half assed. Not even a ppg player since December 1. Defense pretty consistently bleeds high bad chances (especially with Smith in the lineup), offense has taken a small step back. The skaters can't put forth any degree of consistent effort. The only thing consistent about this team is their inconsistency. Haven't won or lost more than 3 in a row all year. I don't imagine that changes. They have one of the toughest SOS rest of the season.

Just one of those years. I'd be more inclined to sell than to buy, but I know that they won't do that.

Reactions: HBK27

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I'm going to assume if they don't trade for a goalie by end of tomorrow, they have given up on the season.

There is no reason to trade for Saros or Markstrom in a week or 2 when they are 10 points out of the playoff picture.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm going to assume if they don't trade for a goalie by end of tomorrow, they have given up on the season.

There is no reason to trade for Saros or Markstrom in a week or 2 when they are 10 points out of the playoff picture.
Two of their next three are also against rangers and lightning. Pretty bad spot to be in when you're five back in the division and 4 in the wild card.

I think the flames and predators are actually closer to a playoff spot right now. If each of those teams can sell, there's certainly no reason that the devils can't be sellers as well

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Two of their next three are also against rangers and lightning. Pretty bad spot to be in when you're five back in the division and 4 in the wild card.

I think the flames and predators are actually closer to a playoff spot right now. If each of those teams can sell, there's certainly no reason that the devils can't be sellers as well
Well if you look at the roster vs the Flames, I would argue that the Devils have a much better roster outside of goaltending. I truly believe the Flames are a bottom 5 team this year without Markstrom.

That being said, if they lose the next 2 it might be pointless to add. That's why they should add now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Giving up on the season is the best option. This team is fundamentally broken and will not recover until they make a coaching change and allow their injured core players to actually heal instead of playing them at 50% effectiveness.

NJ is still in fantastic position long-term. All of their core is either locked up long term or on ELC/RFA deals. Nearly all of their best players are 25 or under. It's not the end of the world to punt on this season and run it back next year. We saw how good this core is in 2023. It sucks to take a step back like this, but people forget how young this team is. Hischier just turned 25 last month, Jack turns 23 in May, Luke won't turn 21 until training camp, Nemec just turned 20 last week.

The WORST thing they could do right now is mortgage long-term pieces to try to salvage a lost season. Trading Holtz or Mercer for a goalie while ignoring the fundamental problems underneath would not change anything, it's putting lipstick on a pig.

Fitzgerald just got promoted, ownership gave him a vote of confidence and is all-in on his long-term plan. To start removing pieces now just one year into their window would be astonishingly short sighted.

Even with all that said, they may still make the playoffs even if they don't make any mores. Detroit is riding an absurd finishing wave they can't keep up, and the loss of Hart is starting to catch up to Philly. NJ is more talented than both of them, they can make the playoffs even with bad goaltending. They're tweaked the defensive system and it's largely paid dividends (except last night), the issue has been the offense failing to execute.

NJ is 8.5% on the PP in calendar year 2024, they have FIVE (5) PP goals on 59 PP opportunities in their last 20 games. Goaltending won't fix that. Jack Hughes and Timo Meier have combined for 3 goals since January 1st. Goaltending won't fix that. Curtis Lazar is T-6th on the team in points since Jan 1st. Goaltending won't fix that.

Wasting assets on a premium goalie just doesn't make sense, maybe they'll add a cheaper goalie like Kahkonen. But they are in no position to make a major add unless it plugs a major hole for the long-term (like, 5+ seasons).

Last edited:

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Why would Markstrom waive his no-trade to go to the Devils now? Even Jack Hughes isn't trying to win games.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Sportsnet insider Elliotte Friedman joined 102.5 The Game with Caroline, Willy, & D-Mase for his weekly hit on Nashville radio. While discussing the possibility of the Nashville Predators and Devils working together on a Juuse Saros deal, he had this to say about Mercer.

“I believe some of the teams that have been dealing with the Devils on other issues have asked about Mercer and I believe they’ve been told no,” Friedman explained. “But, you never know what can happen, right? I know he’s a player that the Devils value. If he was on the table, I think that would excite the predators a lot. Casey, I haven’t seen him a lot but I’ve heard good things… but I know he’s a really talented kid. If Mercer was available, there would be teams that would drive to New Jersey to pick him up. So, if in some world that deal happened, I think the Predators would be very happy with that, and their fans would eventually be happy with that too because Mercer is a real talented young kid.”

• Love
Reactions: hidek91

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Giving up on the season is the best option. This team is fundamentally broken and will not recover until they make a coaching change and allow their injured core players to actually heal instead of playing them at 50% effectiveness.

NJ is still in fantastic position long-term. All of their core is either locked up long term or on ELC/RFA deals. Nearly all of their best players are 25 or under. It's not the end of the world to punt on this season and run it back next year. We saw how good this core is in 2023. It sucks to take a step back like this, but people forget how young this team is. Hischier just turned 25 last month, Jack turns 23 in May, Luke won't turn 21 until training camp, Nemec just turned 20 last week.

The WORST thing they could do right now is mortgage long-term pieces to try to salvage a lost season. Trading Holtz or Mercer for a goalie while ignoring the fundamental problems underneath would not change anything, it's putting lipstick on a pig.

Fitzgerald just got promoted, ownership gave him a vote of confidence and is all-in on his long-term plan. To start removing pieces now just one year into their window would be astonishingly short sighted.

Even with all that said, they may still make the playoffs even if they don't make any mores. Detroit is riding an absurd finishing wave they can't keep up, and the loss of Hart is starting to catch up to Philly. NJ is more talented than both of them, they can make the playoffs even with bad goaltending. They're tweaked the defensive system and it's largely paid dividends (except last night), the issue has been the offense failing to execute.

NJ is 8.5% on the PP in calendar year 2024, they have FIVE (5) PP goals on 59 PP opportunities in their last 20 games. Goaltending won't fix that. Jack Hughes and Timo Meier have combined for 3 goals since January 1st. Goaltending won't fix that. Curtis Lazar is T-6th on the team in points since Jan 1st. Goaltending won't fix that.

Wasting assets on a premium goalie just doesn't make sense, maybe they'll add a cheaper goalie like Kahkonen. But they are in no position to make a major add unless it plugs a major hole for the long-term (like, 5+ seasons).
Send this over to Fitzy

Reactions: McDuffz88 and Forge

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
one more week and the Devils is completely out of contention with their horrible goalies

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
one more week and the Devils is completely out of contention with their horrible goalies
A goalie wouldn't even save us. It's pointless to rush to trade for one right now. This season is toast because Lindy Ruff is trash and our team has no identity and no soul. We're a bunch of cowards.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Feels like they already are. Might have missed the window for a Markstrom trade

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Feels like they already are. Might have missed the window for a Markstrom trade
I'm going to wait until they lose to Tampa to officially put the fork in them, but yeah, I think it's mostly over. I think they dropped to like 11th or 12th in East tonight

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Canes have no interest with Pyotr playing incredible of late and Freddie nearing a return.

Devils would be wise to not waste assets on a declining Saros, but I could see them making the trade to try to make a playoff push.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Canes have no interest with Pyotr playing incredible of late and Freddie nearing a return.

Devils would be wise to not waste assets on a declining Saros, but I could see them making the trade to try to make a playoff push.
Declining? He's had an off year for sure ( looked pretty good in LA tonight though ) but it's way to early to say he is declining.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm always baffled when people defend their arguments with the narrative that the Blues won with a rookie goalie, Vegas won with no-name Hill, Pittsburgh won with Murray.. blah blah.

Blues defense the year they won:

Pietrangelo
Bouweester
Parayko
Dunn
Edmundson
Gunnarsson

That is one hell of a defense. Perfectly built for the playoffs.

Vegas defense the year they won:

Pietrangelo
Theodore
Martinez
McNabb
Whitecloud
Hague

Again, probably the best top-6 defense for playoff hockey in the league.

Pittsburgh had two generational talents in Crosby and Malkin.

I'm sorry, but a team like NJD is nowhere near good enough to win with these types of goalies. Their defense is not nearly good enough. They actually DO need a decent goalie back there.

Last edited:

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC

Find me a single star goalie in the history of the NHL who never had a single season below league average numbers. I'll wait

MauriAntero

Jun 21, 2019
Find me a single star goalie in the history of the NHL who never had a single season below league average numbers. I'll wait
Ken Dryden ?
Tuukka Rask, If you don't count seasons when he played less than 10 games..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad