Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I like the guy we picked on day 2, fast, hard hitter and with abit of skill. I think that’s our identity whether you are skilled player or not. London when they beat us last year played fast and hard to beat us and it beat our skill, we lacked speed and grit and you need both in playoffs. Same the one year the Soo upset our stacked team in the first round a few years back, they played fast and out worked us. We are learning from those two series which is good.
not sure why it sent my reply message twice. apologies.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seca during the press conference. Said they'll be doing some tinkering to the roster and looking at some of are needs. So sounds like we could see some moves this off-season.
I wonder what they are thinking. second time he's mentioned tinkering the roster. I think they want a new goalie. Whether that's via trade or the import draft I think we'll see a new one. Be very curious to see the age of said goalie.

Obviously he mentioned wanting a veteran Dman. I'd be shocked & pissed off if Fischer, Young, Barr, Hurt aren't locks to return. Guessing those other 2 spots are totally up for grabs. They like Bridgewater so I think he has a little lead for it, but he'll have to earn it. As I've mentioned I think Omeri is gonna be an odd man out. Andersen will be here, just a matter of can he ctrack the 6 or is he an extra/7th D. O'Toole in the mix after his late season showing. Neusteter will be a guy they send down but give games throughout the yr.

F would be most interesting to see. You'd assume Filak, Doucette, Brown, Kostuch, Doherty, Di Iorio are "locks" as would the #6 import pick. So that's 7 F spots assuming they are gonna keep the two OA Fs. Leaves 5 spots for Sim, Lominac, Hall, Denney, Gaughan, Simpson, Chamberlain.

+ whatever they do with their 2nd import pick & the #2 U18 pick.

I don't hate improving the roster, but I hope it isn't for 19/20 yr olds that take spots away from rookies (assuming they are OHL ready.) And even more so hope they don't spend any worthwhile draft picks in the trades unless it's for a 17 or 18 yr old.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Current depth chart id say is #s are age

17------------19---------------20
Brown----Wainwright Doucette

17-----------20--------??
Kostuch----Filak----Import(?)

18------------16--------19
Doherty----Di Iorio----Moses

17---------??-------??
Luecke----TBD----TBD

Fighting for spots:
17-----18------18------18-------16--------16----------16
Sim, Lominac, Hall, Denney, Gaughan, Simpson, Chamberlain

18-------17
Fischer-Hurt

19-----17
Young-Barr

Fighting for spots

17--------------17--------18-----18-------16
Bridgewater, Andersen, O'toole, Omeri, Neusteter

Surzcyia ?

Chartier

Maillet

Gillis

Then whoever they take with 2nd import pick, whoever they trade for, whoever they sign etc.

As I keep saying. I actually don't think they are gonna be to bad of a team. If they get a cost low, decent vet Dman & a solid goalie I can see them having a fairly solid season, especially in what should be a weak conference.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hopefully Osipenko hits a growth spurt this summer. And can get to atleast 6’1 if his bro is 6’4 and can translate his elite skill when he grows that would be a steal of a pick and Seca would look like a genius for doing his homework. Hope they hit on a few of these picks.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
The one interesting late round selection was 11th rounder Nicholas Bogas. It's reminds me a lot of the Zach Filak and Lukas Fischer picks. Bogas, like Filak and Fischer, attended the US Selects 15 camp (a big USA hockey camp with around 220 of the best 15 year old American players) early in the season. He probably would have gone higher if he was a guarantee to come to the OHL. He was the highest scoring defender on his team putting up 39 points (12G, 27A) in 64 games. His dad played in the NCAA at Michigan State so I'm guessing he's leaning that route but as we've mentioned before the Sting have good connections in Michigan. He could be a steal if they can convince him to come over

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The one interesting late round selection was 11th rounder Nicholas Bogas. It's reminds me a lot of the Zach Filak and Lukas Fischer picks. Bogas, like Filak and Fischer, attended the US Selects 15 camp (a big USA hockey camp with around 220 of the best 15 year old American players) early in the season. He probably would have gone higher if he was a guarantee to come to the OHL. He was the highest scoring defender on his team putting up 39 points (12G, 27A) in 64 games. His dad played in the NCAA at Michigan State so I'm guessing he's leaning that route but as we've mentioned before the Sting have good connections in Michigan. He could be a steal if they can convince him to come over
I noticed all the late picks acknowledged the pick & followed the team & some current players. Obviously most do just to be nice, but there are some who don't acknowledge at all as they have 0 interest.

Seca & Co have been pretty tactical with their gambles. Usually they have some sort of connection or have had good conversations about the possibility of them coming at some point.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Honeypot renos according to their website link, not sure about any other ones.
Know what would be great? Seamless glass.
I think there might be more Reno’s than that because Seca said the players wouldn’t be at the PASA during the rookie camp due to the renovations. They are usually on the ice during that camp aren’t they? I know a few years ago they were talking about putting NHL quality boards and glass in. I really hope they get rid of those ugly maroon seats and putting in some nice quality black seats. I think that would make the arena look a lot nicer.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think there might be more Reno’s than that because Seca said the players wouldn’t be at the PASA during the rookie camp due to the renovations. They are usually on the ice during that camp aren’t they? I know a few years ago they were talking about putting NHL quality boards and glass in. I really hope they get rid of those ugly maroon seats and putting in some nice quality black seats. I think that would make the arena look a lot nicer.
That would be awesome. Not gonna hold me breath tho. Legwand has sunk major money into this team. Really appreciate him. He was at the Di Iorio presser too. He's been such a great owner.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
That would be awesome. Not gonna hold me breath tho. Legwand has sunk major money into this team. Really appreciate him. He was at the Di Iorio presser too. He's been such a great owner.
Ya time the city steps up and puts some good money into the arena to show their appreciation to him and the club. They have been paying the bare minimum each time the club ask them to help out with paying for improvements.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I do hope they do some on ice activities at rookie camp even if it's at the barn. See some of the guys & see who all attends.

Seca said they'll be in town may 3rd & 4th. Hoping the observer interviewed him after day 2 & get his thoughts on some of those picks.

Actually excited for the U18 draft too. Whenever that is. 2nd pick. See if they can find another decent goalie or maybe a skater that pushes for a spot. They've had more success than most in this draft.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

On que! Seca seems quite happy with the class. As we thought he said they made it a point to add size because other teams, especially Windsor have added a lot.

One of my favorite picks is definitely Neusteter. Big, lengthy, gritty Dman who can skate. such a great foundation for a kid to start with

As I said I'm glad they targeted a guy like Simpson. Not a big PT guy, but a wrecking ball, energy type player. LDN always has guys like that. Wsr too. We rarely do.

Most interesting is they seem quite excited about Will Garret (D). Said he missed a lot of time & think he would've gone higher had he not. Says he'll be wearing Sting colors in the near future.

Osipenko already up to 5'9" & they believe he will grow "significantly". Called him the most competitive goalie in the class with elite tracking & vision.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I completely agree Legwand has been great ... good dude too. I wouldn't mind seeing Legwand back on the bench too..... I just saw total attendance was 137k .... gotta think they made money again this year. Keep it rolling man.
Yah I liked the idea of him running the Fs. Especially the PP. I've heard he's a great speaker to the guys & is very encouraging.

But maybe he didn't like it as much or wanna be in Sarnia 24/7. I believe he might help out in scouting/recruiting.

Won't lie I was pretty scared we could be in trouble post covid with attendance. Was a bit of an older crowd before it. They've done a marvelous job attracting younger ppl to the games & have done great packages/deals. Has helped a ton. I imagine we see a small fall off from this yr but hopefully still high 3000s. Gonna be an exciting, young team.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
With Seca mentioning they will probably have an open OA spot & that they wanna add a vet Dman I decided to look up some '04 Dmen (OAs next year) that could be on the move because their teams have to many OAs returning or thier team might sell off.

Also only listed bigger guys with Seca also mentioning he wants their defense to be bigger.

Sudbury:
Noah Van Vliet - 6'3" Stay at home D
Noah Collins - 6'4" solid 2way D

Ottawa: Matt Mayich - 6'2" rock solid 2way D.

Saginaw: PJ Forgione - 6'3" 2way D.

Owen Sound: Madden Steen - 6'2" physical stay at home D

Mayich would cost the most. NHL 4th rounder. Currently not signed. The others i can't imagine costing much more than a 4th. Could even offer Omeri + a mid Rd pick & that could do it. I'd be more than happy getting any of those 5. All play physical with some snarl. Then you'd be looking at a Dcore of (arguments sake we'll say they get Collins)

Fischer-Hurt
Young-Collins
Barr-Bridgewater
Andersen

I'd actually be quite excited about that Dcore. Some size, some snarl, good skaters, puck movers & a veteran presence for those intense moments.

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
With Seca mentioning they will probably have an open OA spot & that they wanna add a vet Dman I decided to look up some '04 Dmen (OAs next year) that could be on the move because their teams have to many OAs returning or thier team might sell off.

Also only listed bigger guys with Seca also mentioning he wants their defense to be bigger.

Sudbury:
Noah Van Vliet - 6'3" Stay at home D
Noah Collins - 6'4" solid 2way D

Ottawa: Matt Mayich - 6'2" rock solid 2way D.

Saginaw: PJ Forgione - 6'3" 2way D.

Owen Sound: Madden Steen - 6'2" physical stay at home D

Mayich would cost the most. NHL 4th rounder. Currently not signed. The others i can't imagine costing much more than a 4th. Could even offer Omeri + a mid Rd pick & that could do it. I'd be more than happy getting any of those 5. All play physical with some snarl. Then you'd be looking at a Dcore of (arguments sake we'll say they get Collins)

Fischer-Hurt
Young-Collins
Barr-Bridgewater
Andersen

I'd actually be quite excited about that Dcore. Some size, some snarl, good skaters, puck movers & a veteran presence for those intense moments.
Don't think Madden Steen fills the needs you're looking for. He'd come cheap enough though(waivers?). He's not really physical, not a great skater and not really a great puck mover. He is a veteran though. The Attack have to move bodies but not sure Steen finds a home in the league. Maybe another GM in the league thinks they can get more out of him but I don't see it.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sarnia takes 6'0" Dman Jonathan Kapageridis. He led all Dmen in the OJHL in playoff scoring with 4G/10A in 17 games.

More impressive is he was the only 2007 born Dman in the top 25 for playoff scoring.

Looks like he joined Cobourg right before playoffs so no clue if he was hurt or if he was in a different league.

Was talking to someone before the draft that said "Sarnia's getting a gem of a D at 2". So take that for what it is haha. See what Seca has to say!

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sarnia takes 6'0" Dman Jonathan Kapageridis. He led all Dmen in the OJHL in playoff scoring with 4G/10A in 17 games.

More impressive is he was the only 2007 born Dman in the top 25 for playoff scoring.

Looks like he joined Cobourg right before playoffs so no clue if he was hurt or if he was in a different league.

Was talking to someone before the draft that said "Sarnia's getting a gem of a D at 2". So take that for what it is haha. See what Seca has to say!
He played Don Mills AAA U18 before going to cobourg. He had 12pointd in 29 games. Then 3 points in 1 regular season game with cobourg, then performed well in playoffs.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
RD1 - Jonathan Kapageridis - 6'0" D
RD2 - Mark Besedin - 6'2" G
RD3 - Roan Douglas - 5'9" F from Petrolia

See what Seca has to say about it.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Two other picks were goalie Mark Besedin out of the Ottawa Myers U18 program and local kid Roen Douglas from the Lambton Jr. Sting U18 team.

Besedin is a Russian-born netminder who is a good size at 6'2". Played AA hockey in St. Louis last season before making the jump to AAA this year. Had a 3.05 GAA in 12 games, which was 5th in the HEO.

Douglas is from Petrolia and was tied for the scoring lead in the Alliance U18 league. Had 50 points (16G, 34A) in 35 regular season games. Added 10 points (5G, 5A) in 10 playoff games. Smaller kid height-wise at 5'9" but is fairly filled out at 170 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad