Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
There was such a run on D before our picks & that G right before us. Gotta think we maybe wanted one or two

See what Seca says. I'd be shocked if they aren't confident Gaughan isn't coming. Be very off brand of Seca to take 2 non guarantees with 2 top picks.

Alot of ppl said Edwards wasn't a sure fire never coming OHL guy. Just maybe a yr. If they get him over it would be HUGE.

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Sarnia IMO located well geographically for US born players and the ownership connections help too, cautiously optimistic!

Reactions: Jason M

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I wonder if they had been thinking about picking Edwards for a bit now. Maybe they acquired that extra fourth round pick knowing that they were going to risk it and take Edwards. He's a pretty local kid (from Komoka) and played with Elgin-Middlesex for past few years before moving to Little Caesars this past season. It would be an amazing third round get if they can convince him to decommitt from the USHL. Honestly I've never even heard of Gaughan before but his stats look good. To be fair I'd never really heard much about Barr or Hurt before last year's draft either but they've turned out to be studs. I'll trust Seca on that one. It's interesting to see them take three forwards on day one. I'm expecting a goalie and some d-men in rounds 4-6 tomorrow

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
There was such a run on D before our picks & that G right before us. Gotta think we maybe wanted one or two

See what Seca says. I'd be shocked if they aren't confident Gaughan isn't coming. Be very off brand of Seca to take 2 non guarantees with 2 top picks.

Alot of ppl said Edwards wasn't a sure fire never coming OHL guy. Just maybe a yr. If they get him over it would be HUGE.
I can't see Seca taking there 2 so high if he wasn't sure that at least 1 would show up. Plus Legwand has some connections over there so maybe we had a bug in there ears.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Won't lie it's nice to see everyone else taking this small players. Multiple guys listed at 5'6/5'7/5'8. Obviously they can grow but man such a risk in the 1st round taking guys that small..

We saw with Voit. Won't get a much better agile, shifty, creative, passing F than him. But you instantly get massive limitations.
Nothing wrong with drafting a Voit or Sim but you can’t ice a team with too many small guys.

Reactions: robp1219

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I wonder if they had been thinking about picking Edwards for a bit now. Maybe they acquired that extra fourth round pick knowing that they were going to risk it and take Edwards. He's a pretty local kid (from Komoka) and played with Elgin-Middlesex for past few years before moving to Little Caesars this past season. It would be an amazing third round get if they can convince him to decommitt from the USHL. Honestly I've never even heard of Gaughan before but his stats look good. To be fair I'd never really heard much about Barr or Hurt before last year's draft either but they've turned out to be studs. I'll trust Seca on that one. It's interesting to see them take three forwards on day one. I'm expecting a goalie and some d-men in rounds 4-6 tomorrow
Great point about adding an extra 4th so they could take a swing. In a draft that many say lacks depth why not swing for the fences when you have 4 picks in RD3&RD4.

On the D front they took so many last yr we figured it would be F heavy this go around. All 3 have size. Which I like. It's apparently a brutal G class so if their top 2 G's came off the board I'm fine passing on it. Take one at #2 in U18 draft where they've found Thornton and Surzycia

Gaughan seems to have been an unknown commodity for some but at the OHL cup he really showed out in a big way.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I would love to know the backstory of why Beckham Edwards... A Komoka, ON kid... left a very good Elgin team to go play in Detroit... If anyone has details id love to know the story.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
I would love to know the backstory of why Beckham Edwards... A Komoka, ON kid... left a very good Elgin team to go play in Detroit... If anyone has details id love to know the story.
Ya me as well. Would be so huge to get both these kids to commit. Wonder what those odds would be. Anyone know the rules on tendered players In the ushl?

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Or Aiden O'Donnell , plays for Team Pennsylvania , goes to Cole Harbour to play , then gets drafted in OHL

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Ya me as well. Would be so huge to get both these kids to commit. Wonder what those odds would be. Anyone know the rules on tendered players In the ushl?
Sidney Crosby went to Shattuck St.Mary’s at 15 in Minnesota.He is from Cole Harbour NS.Sometimes you need a change.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Piled together some Gaughan clips. I have no idea why it flips at certain points. Apologies for that.

Looks like a lengthy kid. Decent skater. Nice shot.

Seca on the pick “Chase is a right shot centre who demonstrates both hockey sense and the ability to make the players around him better. He is a player we saw multiple times in Ontario as well as some U.S.A tournaments. Chase has been into Sarnia, seen our facilities, seen a game in our League and is very excited to be part of the Sarnia Sting Organization. We look forward to welcoming him and his family to the team. ” comments Seca.

Not as confident it seems with Edwards. Says they will be in touch with him & his family & will hopefully get them to see the Sting and OHL are the best development path for him.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Would certainly appear they targeted finishers today along with solid size.

All 3 more known as goal scorers compared to pass first guys. All 3 have solid size. All 3 are Cs.

Can't be to mad with that! Obviously have work to do with Edwards. If he doesn't come that sucks but I think it's worth the gamble.

Gaughan is more of an unknown but dominated his area then has a great OHL cup showing. Intrigued to see him at rookie camp.

Two 4ths to kick off tomorrow then they have 1 pick in each RD until 11 when they have 3 & then no pick in 14&15.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sarnia uses their two 4ths on

Shane Neusteter. 6'0" D. Not many points. Only scouting report I've seen so far is this one. Sounds like a defensive minded guy.

Ryder Simpson. 6'1" LW who has 12G/11A in 32GP. Haven't found a report on him yet.

Reactions: davewheeler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The neutral zone is doing a livestream doing little reports on each pick

For Neusteter they all liked him quite a bit. Said he's a big, lengthy kid, physical, hard to play against, calmining presence back there & has some untapped offensive potential they feel.

For Simpson they said he hits everything that moves. One guy said he saw a game where he was crushing kids all game & that when he fully fills out Dmen will be hearing footsteps going back to retrieve dump-ins. Decent hands & skill to go with it.

Ryan Chamberlain the pick in RD5. He was rated top 50 in two lists I saw & top 70 on a another. Here's some reports on him

Last edited:

honeydripper

Mar 15, 2022
Real question: Do any of these player bios or scouting reports include any constructive criticism? Everything I’ve read this week is a glowing optimistic evaluation. This year’s “we had him going much higher in the draft” is “he has a great 200 foot game”

Reactions: davewheeler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Real question: Do any of these player bios or scouting reports include any constructive criticism? Everything I’ve read this week is a glowing optimistic evaluation. This year’s “we had him going much higher in the draft” is “he has a great 200 foot game”
Haha yah not as much criticism for the OHL draft. Why I do like watching that neutral zone livestream. They usually keep it honest & say what the player needs to work on.

I'm liking a lot of these day 2 picks so far. Wonder if we take some swings here with three 11ths.

Neutral Zone guys like our Brayden Hughes pick. Say he is a tank. Just obliterated some guys this yr. "he weighs 150-160 but hits like he's 200-210". Solid outlet passer. Strong defender. Will need to work on stuff, but you'd expect that in Rd 8. On top of it, he has long hair that goes down the back of the jersey. When's the last time we had somebody with that kind of flow haha

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well overall I'm pretty happy. I wish they could've got 1 more dynamic, high skilled F, but it was also said to be a weak class and that was before the USHL/BCHL stuff. Pretty apparent they wanted some size+scoring ability at the top & then went after snarl, physicality after that. Almost all with good size. Not one guy under 6 foot until the goalie in RD 7.

Stoked to see Di Iorio. I'm unsure about the Gaughan pick, but they have some conviction with it. I do like the length & scoring ability a lot tho. Edwards big swing. Hopefully one day he is here. If so this class becomes outstanding just off him & Di Iorio.

Like the sounds of Neusteter quite a bit. Quickly watched some of his game on YT & I agreed with the assessments. Big, lengthy, mobile, gritty, competent w/the puck. A lot to work with.

Simpson probably won't ever produce much but I love the guys who are just wrecking balls. We never draft enough of those guys. Constant energy, physicality. 6'1" too. He does have speed & some skill tho.

Chamberlain apparently one of the fastest skaters in the draft. Terrific on the forecheck, defensively & is 6'0". More than happy taking that type of foundation/build late in round 5. See if Osipenko grows. If he does might've got a steal.

Don't got much on most of the later picks. Took some flyers it seems. Hughes as mentioned apparently is a wrecking ball back on D. Trozzo interesting as a re-entry who was an all star in the GOJHL this yr but is tendered with USHL.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Piled together some Gaughan clips. I have no idea why it flips at certain points. Apologies for that.

Seca on the pick “Chase is a right shot centre who demonstrates both hockey sense and the ability to make the players around him better. He is a player we saw multiple times in Ontario as well as some U.S.A tournaments. Chase has been into Sarnia, seen our facilities, seen a game in our League and is very excited to be part of the Sarnia Sting Organization. We look forward to welcoming him and his family to the team. ” comments Seca.

Not as confident it seems with Edwards. Says they will be in touch with him & his family & will hopefully get them to see the Sting and OHL are the best development path for him.
View attachment 850803

View attachment 850803

Chase has been into Sarnia, seen our facilities, seen a game in our League and is very excited to be part of the Sarnia Sting Organization. We look forward to welcoming him and his family to the team. ” comments Seca.

Looks like we have our first 2 commits.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I like the guy we picked on day 2, fast, hard hitter and with abit of skill. I think that’s our identity whether you are skilled player or not. London when they beat us last year played fast and hard to beat us and it beat our skill, we lacked speed and grit and you need both in playoffs. Same the one year the Soo upset our stacked team in the first round a few years back, they played fast and out worked us. We are learning from those two series which is good.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I like the guy we picked on day 2, fast, hard hitter and with abit of skill. I think that’s our identity whether you are skilled player or not. London when they beat us last year played fast and hard to beat us and it beat our skill, we lacked speed and grit and you need both in playoffs. Same the one year the Soo upset our stacked team in the first round a few years back, they played fast and out worked us. We are learning from those two series which is good.
Yah I think in a way your almost seeing the conference as a whole changing their identities a bit

Windsor always like grit but they've built a football team lmao

Soo this yr is big & strong

LDN literally built their team to bully other teams.

Flint always has gritty teams it feels like.

Stan butler demands u play tough in Erie.

I think they probably took notice of this. Yes u can stack up on talent but they'll get their a** kicked by those teams if they don't add size & snarl themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad