Sarnia Sting 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
So where is Goldobin? I heard he is playing in KHL due to family issues. Can anyone confirm?

He opted to report directly to San Jose's training camp rather than come to Sarnia's. Belief is that he wants to play professionally. Where that is depends on what San Jose decides to do with him.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
You had wanted to know earlier in the Sting camp how well the two Ottawa area players White and Renaud were performing. In an earlier comment I was very high on White but thought that Renaud from the scrimmage that I saw was a bit of a disappointment. I now stand corrected. Renaud has played very well in the preseason games. He was the second star tonight with two goals against the London Knights. He also got one goal last night against London. He was throwing his 200 pound plus body around making numerous checks. His long reach gives him an advantage that he was using tonight to get the puck. He was also constantly getting himself into good positions to score. If he continues to play like this he will be a strong asset for the Sting.
My opinion of White has not changed. He is dependable and has the fire to compete whenever he is on the ice.

Thank you very much for the info----really appreciate it.

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Renaud

I agree with your assessment of Renaud. He was on fire last night, I was really impressed. Different player from the last two seasons, much more confidence. Good to see.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Renaud

Agreed. Good time to build confidence, and better late than never. Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it is exhibition and London had its B team on the ice. If he can carry it thru, he will be the real thing. Fingers crossed.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Made the trek down to Windsor to catch the Sting in town...

Here are some thoughts on the Sting players (this was my first preseason viewing of them)

Overall, I was very impressed with how this young core played considering they were missing DeAngelo (camp), Goldobin (camp, TBD), Hodgson (scratch), Chapman (scratch), Nikandrov (scratch) and White (scratch). The youngsters looked very poised and I was especially impressed with some of the young blueliners - specifically Alex Black and Jake O'Donnell.

Fazio was outstanding in goal and came up big in the shootout. He made some very difficult saves early in the second after pretty much being left alone in the first (one shot from the Spits). He's not the biggest goaltender but his reflexes and mental toughness is impressive. I value the latter in goaltenders.

I was expecting Jakob Chychrun to come in and flash his end-to-end rushing ability but I was pleasantly surprised how he maintained his defensive focus throughout the game. He seems to recognize that at the OHL level he won't be able to freestyle as much as he could in minor midget. We've read enough on his superb skill and he certainly showed them all last night. He's going to be a franchise defenseman for Sarnia and that's a player they haven't built around before. He was especially vocal last night which is good to see from a leadership perspective.

Jake O'Donnell - I remember watching O'Donnell play for the first time last year at the Toronto Titans tournament (one year ago last weekend to be exact) and fancying his game. He immediately stood out for me because of his low-maintenance style of play. He was never overly offensive but he appears to be developing significantly in that area. It's unlikely you see him leading an end-to-end rush but he showed me last night that he's going to be a stalwart in this league. Exceptional positioning in all three zones makes it so easy for him to play. He provides tremendous puck support and acts as an outlet if his partner is in trouble. Those innate instincts are hard to teach. O'Donnell was always a good skater but his transitions from forward to backward skating (and vice versa) looked improve. Basically, his skating is a treat to watch. He was the most impressive dman last night and should make this team but I am sure it's a numbers game.

Alex Black - good signing by the Sting as this kid looks ready to make the jump. He still could add some power in his stride (a bit light on his feet) but he processes the game very well. Like O'Donnell, positioning is his strength.

Schlichting and Core both appear ready to handle more of a work load. With Spinozzi looking to be a good middle-of-the-pack dman, this young d-core is shaping up nicely...especially in the coming years.

Up front, Jordan Kyrou, Jeff King, Noah Bushnell, Nikita Korostelev, Troy Lajeunesse, Davis Brown and Pavel Zacha were the standouts for me

It was good to see Sarnia play Jeff King on forward (except on a few PPs) because he was fun to watch. His hockey sense and quick feet caused all sorts of problems for the young Spits dcore. Specifically, King made a few outstanding soft passes in and around the crease to set up his linemates for good scoring chances. I'd certainly welcome seeing him skate more as a forward.

Pavel Zacha comes as advertised. Lengthy skater with impressive mobility and a real sense of whats going on. He reminds me a bit of Galchenyuk in the way that he navigates and sees the ice. He's extremely patient in possession, holding the puck for the extra second in order for a lane to open up. He's got the full tool box of skills at his disposal and once he finds chemistry with his linemates. Exciting prospect to watch indeed and worth the price of admission. He's only going to get better

Jordan Kyrou - I tend to really like types of players like Kyrou. You know, players who methodically puruse the ice using superb hockey sense and soft skilled hands. Kyrou may not immediately produce big numbers out of the gate but if the coaching staff provides him with ample PP time (not easy for rookies) then I'd expect him to exceed his offensive expectations this season. He's tremendously smart with the puck and has the ability to use deceptive delays or fakes to throw off defenders. I think the Sting hit a homerun with this pick. Hoping they let him show his stuff. Long term, I think we can see him become a Charlie Sarault-type of producer.

Davis Brown - looks like a new player this season. His confidence has improved exponentially and he's showing a willingness to handle the puck more than before. Previously, Brown would receive the puck and then unleash it to a linemate. Now, he's skating up the wing (fast, of course) and gaining the offensive zone in possession. Also, I love how he challenged defenders one-on-one last night with good success. He definitely led the team in shots on goal last night. Scored a nice breakaway goal too. Big year coming? I think it's possible.

Alex Renaud - I've been reading that he's had a good preseason. i was impressed with his improved skating but he seemed to wear down as the game unfolded. He didn't have the strongest game last night. Looked more like a bottom six guy last night. Maybe it was a bit of an off night. I will say that he was definitely more involved than he was in my viewings last year.

Troy Lajeunesse - now here is an interesting player. I remember really liking Lajeunesse's energy and abilities as a member of the 97 Kitchener Jr Rangers and it looks as though he is still bringing that workman-like attitude to the rink. He was buzzing around the ice throwing hits and providing constant pressure. It's unlikely that he cracks the Sting's lineup due to numbers but he could be a worthy signing. He'd bring some excellent energy to the bottom six and looked pretty good working the powerplay too.

Ryan Vendramin - was hoping to see more progress out of him. Great size and skills but it appeared he doesn't look quite confident yet. Seemed to be rushing passes (specifically in the cycle) where he would be better off using his lengthy stride and wingspan to shield off checkers. That would buy him more time for things to open up. It starts with engaging and seeing how that opens things up for him more. Still like his potential but the competition is strong so he needs to show up now.

Noah Bushnell - Love this player. I tweeted it out last night but he's the type of player every coach wants on his bench. Hits, fights and owns good offensive skills. I wonder if he can elevate his offensive game to become a Tyler Bertuzzi-type of player. That would be great for the Sting. Should be a fun player for NHL scouts to watch this season.

Nikita Korostelev - Another potential top NHL pick (Top 50). He will be a difficult player to analyze. Tremendous shooter but not the greatest skater (average at best). He's strong on his skates but lacks the explosiveness you want in scorer. I am a little perplexed by his puck handling as well. There was a few rushes were i deemed his stick handling as choppy as he was in full flight but then seconds later, I was mesmorized by his dangles (while he was standing still). I know he has the puck skills because I've seen it first hand but at other times, he looks like a different player. If he can round out those "rough edges" in his game, he could really improve his draft stock. Skating will be the biggest issue (he has shown improvement but still has room to grow in that area).

If there are any other players you want my opinion on, don't hesitate to ask.

Love the direction of this team and the competitiveness is a sign of improvement. It's going to be a fun year watching this squad.

Sting Fire

Aug 31, 2008
Hockeyland
Made the trek down to Windsor to catch the Sting in town...

Here are some thoughts on the Sting players (this was my first preseason viewing of them)

Overall, I was very impressed with how this young core played considering they were missing DeAngelo (camp), Goldobin (camp, TBD), Hodgson (scratch), Chapman (scratch), Nikandrov (scratch) and White (scratch). The youngsters looked very poised and I was especially impressed with some of the young blueliners - specifically Alex Black and Jake O'Donnell.

Fazio was outstanding in goal and came up big in the shootout. He made some very difficult saves early in the second after pretty much being left alone in the first (one shot from the Spits). He's not the biggest goaltender but his reflexes and mental toughness is impressive. I value the latter in goaltenders.

I was expecting Jakob Chychrun to come in and flash his end-to-end rushing ability but I was pleasantly surprised how he maintained his defensive focus throughout the game. He seems to recognize that at the OHL level he won't be able to freestyle as much as he could in minor midget. We've read enough on his superb skill and he certainly showed them all last night. He's going to be a franchise defenseman for Sarnia and that's a player they haven't built around before. He was especially vocal last night which is good to see from a leadership perspective.

Jake O'Donnell - I remember watching O'Donnell play for the first time last year at the Toronto Titans tournament (one year ago last weekend to be exact) and fancying his game. He immediately stood out for me because of his low-maintenance style of play. He was never overly offensive but he appears to be developing significantly in that area. It's unlikely you see him leading an end-to-end rush but he showed me last night that he's going to be a stalwart in this league. Exceptional positioning in all three zones makes it so easy for him to play. He provides tremendous puck support and acts as an outlet if his partner is in trouble. Those innate instincts are hard to teach. O'Donnell was always a good skater but his transitions from forward to backward skating (and vice versa) looked improve. Basically, his skating is a treat to watch. He was the most impressive dman last night and should make this team but I am sure it's a numbers game.

Alex Black - good signing by the Sting as this kid looks ready to make the jump. He still could add some power in his stride (a bit light on his feet) but he processes the game very well. Like O'Donnell, positioning is his strength.

Schlichting and Core both appear ready to handle more of a work load. With Spinozzi looking to be a good middle-of-the-pack dman, this young d-core is shaping up nicely...especially in the coming years.

Up front, Jordan Kyrou, Jeff King, Noah Bushnell, Nikita Korostelev, Troy Lajeunesse, Davis Brown and Pavel Zacha were the standouts for me

It was good to see Sarnia play Jeff King on forward (except on a few PPs) because he was fun to watch. His hockey sense and quick feet caused all sorts of problems for the young Spits dcore. Specifically, King made a few outstanding soft passes in and around the crease to set up his linemates for good scoring chances. I'd certainly welcome seeing him skate more as a forward.

Pavel Zacha comes as advertised. Lengthy skater with impressive mobility and a real sense of whats going on. He reminds me a bit of Galchenyuk in the way that he navigates and sees the ice. He's extremely patient in possession, holding the puck for the extra second in order for a lane to open up. He's got the full tool box of skills at his disposal and once he finds chemistry with his linemates. Exciting prospect to watch indeed and worth the price of admission. He's only going to get better

Jordan Kyrou - I tend to really like types of players like Kyrou. You know, players who methodically puruse the ice using superb hockey sense and soft skilled hands. Kyrou may not immediately produce big numbers out of the gate but if the coaching staff provides him with ample PP time (not easy for rookies) then I'd expect him to exceed his offensive expectations this season. He's tremendously smart with the puck and has the ability to use deceptive delays or fakes to throw off defenders. I think the Sting hit a homerun with this pick. Hoping they let him show his stuff. Long term, I think we can see him become a Charlie Sarault-type of producer.

Davis Brown - looks like a new player this season. His confidence has improved exponentially and he's showing a willingness to handle the puck more than before. Previously, Brown would receive the puck and then unleash it to a linemate. Now, he's skating up the wing (fast, of course) and gaining the offensive zone in possession. Also, I love how he challenged defenders one-on-one last night with good success. He definitely led the team in shots on goal last night. Scored a nice breakaway goal too. Big year coming? I think it's possible.

Alex Renaud - I've been reading that he's had a good preseason. i was impressed with his improved skating but he seemed to wear down as the game unfolded. He didn't have the strongest game last night. Looked more like a bottom six guy last night. Maybe it was a bit of an off night. I will say that he was definitely more involved than he was in my viewings last year.

Troy Lajeunesse - now here is an interesting player. I remember really liking Lajeunesse's energy and abilities as a member of the 97 Kitchener Jr Rangers and it looks as though he is still bringing that workman-like attitude to the rink. He was buzzing around the ice throwing hits and providing constant pressure. It's unlikely that he cracks the Sting's lineup due to numbers but he could be a worthy signing. He'd bring some excellent energy to the bottom six and looked pretty good working the powerplay too.

Ryan Vendramin - was hoping to see more progress out of him. Great size and skills but it appeared he doesn't look quite confident yet. Seemed to be rushing passes (specifically in the cycle) where he would be better off using his lengthy stride and wingspan to shield off checkers. That would buy him more time for things to open up. It starts with engaging and seeing how that opens things up for him more. Still like his potential but the competition is strong so he needs to show up now.

Noah Bushnell - Love this player. I tweeted it out last night but he's the type of player every coach wants on his bench. Hits, fights and owns good offensive skills. I wonder if he can elevate his offensive game to become a Tyler Bertuzzi-type of player. That would be great for the Sting. Should be a fun player for NHL scouts to watch this season.

Nikita Korostelev - Another potential top NHL pick (Top 50). He will be a difficult player to analyze. Tremendous shooter but not the greatest skater (average at best). He's strong on his skates but lacks the explosiveness you want in scorer. I am a little perplexed by his puck handling as well. There was a few rushes were i deemed his stick handling as choppy as he was in full flight but then seconds later, I was mesmorized by his dangles (while he was standing still). I know he has the puck skills because I've seen it first hand but at other times, he looks like a different player. If he can round out those "rough edges" in his game, he could really improve his draft stock. Skating will be the biggest issue (he has shown improvement but still has room to grow in that area).

If there are any other players you want my opinion on, don't hesitate to ask.

Love the direction of this team and the competitiveness is a sign of improvement. It's going to be a fun year watching this squad.

Good observations, Sting looked poised to have a nice team down the road. PS Hodgson was not a scratch but is at the Red Wings camp in Traverse City

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Dean is right have to be pleased with the Stings compete level and overall team speed was pretty good, Fazio was outstanding, defense was physical, Zacha did not do a lot for a good part of the night but you can see his skill level, also got away with a head check on Doggett.
After the Spits got the games 1st 2 powerplays,Sting got the next 6 spread over the final 45 minutes of the contest
While the Sting were missing some key guys, Windsor was as well as Ho-Sang, Vail, Degiacinto and Soberg are away at NHL prospect tourneys

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Good observations, Sting looked poised to have a nice team down the road. PS Hodgson was not a scratch but is at the Red Wings camp in Traverse City

are we saying Renaud has a bad game and he is now third line or below, and Troy boy won't make it? Hmmmmm that would confound the solutions. Nothing will change if nothing changes. So where does that leave the likes of Matteo, White, Nickandrov? do like Kyrou and once he gets a feeling for a faster game, both he and Chyrchruyn will be excellent players. Does anyone thing the 2 russians are resting on their laurels. Might be time to let go of their jocks and pull up the socks.

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Kodola

Dean Youngblood, did Kodola play last night? He was a scratch last weekend Saturday. Wondering how he looked if he played? Thanks for your analysis, very informative.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
are we saying Renaud has a bad game and he is now third line or below, and Troy boy won't make it? Hmmmmm that would confound the solutions. Nothing will change if nothing changes. So where does that leave the likes of Matteo, White, Nickandrov? do like Kyrou and once he gets a feeling for a faster game, both he and Chyrchruyn will be excellent players. Does anyone thing the 2 russians are resting on their laurels. Might be time to let go of their jocks and pull up the socks.

I think Renaud is suited best for the third line. Teams need depth throughout the lineup and he'd be being good size and respectable skill there

Dean Youngblood, did Kodola play last night? He was a scratch last weekend Saturday. Wondering how he looked if he played? Thanks for your analysis, very informative.

Yep Kodola played and looked very good. I should have touched on him but he was used sparingly. Sarnia gave their young guys battling for spots lots of ice time last night.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
This is how the lineup should shake out this season:

Brown-Zacha-Korostelev
Kyrou-Nikandrov-Hodgson
Renaud-Kodola-Bushnell
Lindberg-White-King/Vendramin

Extras: Ciccarelli, Trottier, Lajeunesse (likely going back to Siskins tho)

Core-Chychrun
Schlichting-DeAngelo
Spinozzi-Chapman
King(PP2)/Black

Extras:Black and O'Donnell (probably Legionnaires bound but I think he can be an impact now)

Dupuis
Fazio

D-pairings are by no means set in stone. Same goes for F group. IF Goldobin returns then he'll bump Vendramin into an extra spot.

The only issue with the line combos is that Kyrou needs to play C. He's much more effective in his natural position.

Am I missing anyone? It's quite possible

hardoil3232

Mar 3, 2011
This is how the lineup should shake out this season:

Brown-Zacha-Korostelev
Kyrou-Nikandrov-Hodgson
Renaud-Kodola-Bushnell
Lindberg-White-King/Vendramin

Extras: Ciccarelli, Trottier, Lajeunesse (likely going back to Siskins tho)

Core-Chychrun
Schlichting-DeAngelo
Spinozzi-Chapman
King(PP2)/Black

Extras:Black and O'Donnell (probably Legionnaires bound but I think he can be an impact now)

Dupuis
Fazio

D-pairings are by no means set in stone. Same goes for F group. IF Goldobin returns then he'll bump Vendramin into an extra spot.

The only issue with the line combos is that Kyrou needs to play C. He's much more effective in his natural position.

Am I missing anyone? It's quite possible

mateo will be 3rd line

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Does anybody know why Dupuis was not the back up in Windsor and again will not be in the lineup tonight?

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

In my opinion he got off lucky getting 10. This is the sort of thing the league needs to hit and hit hard. There is no sport that needs bush league attempts to injure like this.

Looks like he is on his way to being more of a Todd Bertuzzi-type.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
In my opinion he got off lucky getting 10. This is the sort of thing the league needs to hit and hit hard. There is no sport that needs bush league attempts to injure like this.

Completely agree. I would have been fine with 20 games. Do you know if anything happened between these two earlier in the game?

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Completely agree. I would have been fine with 20 games. Do you know if anything happened between these two earlier in the game?

he is a train wreck waiting to happen… we thought tony had anger issues, Bushnut is ready implode. And even if something happened earlier, Bushnut is vicious, vengeful and downright mean in the worst way.
Who saw the game last night? Not able to make it but read Vendramin had two goals… not a mobile forward, but alway liked hands. When do they make the final cuts. See Renaud had an assist … so he must be rebounded after a slow game in windsor…
When are all the injury guys back like Chapman, White, Ciccarell, Dupuis coming back…
And for the speculators, what are the line combos?

I didn't see anything out of the normal realm of a game. I also didn't see the elbow at game speed because my angle doesn't facilitate me viewing head on plays like that(I'm on the end up high). Having viewed it on video..it was viscious..and I'm not just saying this because it happened to a Knights player. I'd like to see the league be more harsh with these types of incidents and really send a message. I was a blatant attempt to injure...and that total BS crap needs to be entirely removed from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad