Confirmed with Link: Sanford traded

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I have pretty low expectations from Brown, but at least he’s an asset with some potential to be a contributor. I won’t be surprised if he struggles to stick in the NHL with the Blues or avoid being a healthy scratch. The door opens for Kostin.

There may be a legit opportunity for one of the PTOs to make the team now.

Could Brown clear waivers? I bet Arizona would claim him, or hell maybe Ottawa.

After watching Neal score three in his Blues debut, I thought to myself..."look - another guy who will score in bunches, then disappear for 25 games...Zach Sanford's obvious replacement". While Logan Brown may seem like the logical swap for Sanford's roster spot, Brown is probably behind Kostin at the very least, and maybe one of these PTO'ers, as well. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Army sign a vet for depth and leave Brown AND Kostin both fighting for a role.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sanford wasn't going to make the Blues team this year. There was too much good competition for him at wing.

Sanford has "sick mitts" but he lacks the intensity to be a regular on this team.

He's just too nice a guy for the NHL.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Sanford wasn't going to make the Blues team this year. There was too much good competition for him at wing.

Sanford has "sick mitts" but he lacks the intensity to be a regular on this team.

I'm pretty sure Sanford would have made the team based on ability, but he was certainly replaceable. But if Sanford was "too nice" for the NHL, what does that mean for Logan Brown? Based on everything I've read, he's even "nicer" than Sanford is and like Sanford his intensity has been questioned. I wonder if he'll stick in the lineup, considering how much depth we have. Sens fans seem to think he needs to play center in a top 9 role and that he doesn't have the defensive game and toughness to be an effective 4th liner.

Will be interesting to watch, for sure. I'm intriguied by Brown but he'll have to find another gear if he expects to crack our lineup regularly.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
2 years ago Sanford was on pace for 42 points. Whether he can maintain that type of play over 82 games is questionable, but he'll get a lot of opportunities and maybe more playing time seeing as he played nearly 15 min a night. It would be the kind of scenario where the change of scenery motivates him and the following year he slumps back down to his career numbers. However, I do agree it's Kostin's time.

There are plenty of dumb gm's who would give up a 2nd for Sanford if the cap worked out. Plenty of players got 3rds, so I think you could trick someone into giving up a 2nd.
I would just think that if he paced 40ish pts playing with ROR/Perron, then I'm not seeing 50ish with OTT... especially if he plays on their 3rd line
stranger things have happened tho

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I am not a hockey savant, and I think Sanford’s problem was that his mistakes were usually the type that any of us could see. Stuff like dumb drop passes going the other way or trying to carry it in vs a clear dump and chase situation.

But he had and has size and skill, and shows ability to fit in with a middle 6 role. I can see where this makes sense for everyone.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Dang. That’s rough.

He might even come after the bus driver.
Do you really think that there are NHL teams that would give up a 2nd Rounder for Sanford? I'm not saying no team would want him. I'm just saying that the teams that might want him for their 3rd Line would trade a 3rd Rounder for him, but not a 2nd. I'm not saying he's trash. But, he's too old now to expect that he's got much upside, and although he is quite adequate when he is on (playing a physical game and scoring in bunches), those periods only last for a week or so, 2 or 3 times per season. In between, he seems to drift semi-consciously all over the ice, with little purpose, and doesn't get involved enough in the offensive or defensive plays. Better for The Blues to play prospects there who aren't so streaky, and seem to have good upside potential. And they needed the extra cap space, in any case.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s been said here already but I’ll agree that Brown was one of our most (if not the most) creative playmakers. Lacked intensity and although also being our biggest player at 6’6” he is not a physical player, but…..he does make use of that long reach.

Can wow you with silky smooth offensive plays. Produced well at every level. Even looked good in his NHL games. Needs to figure out how to stay healthy.
Not sure I see him as a winger.

Good luck to him and you this season. Hopeful Sanford comes in pumped up.

Reactions: stl76

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Do you really think that there are NHL teams that would give up a 2nd Rounder for Sanford? I'm not saying no team would want him. I'm just saying that the teams that might want him for their 3rd Line would trade a 3rd Rounder for him, but not a 2nd. I'm not saying he's trash. But, he's too old now to expect that he's got much upside, and although he is quite adequate when he is on (playing a physical game and scoring in bunches), those periods only last for a week or so, 2 or 3 times per season. In between, he seems to drift semi-consciously all over the ice, with little purpose, and doesn't get involved enough in the offensive or defensive plays. Better for The Blues to play prospects there who aren't so streaky, and seem to have good upside potential. And they needed the extra cap space, in any case.
Yo, Geezer! It was a joke. Too many words in response to a stupid joke.

In seriousness, however, there was a time when my wishful fan brain thought Sanford to AZ for a 2nd (cuz they own 5) was a possibility.

It's not.

It wasn't about worth, when it came to Sanford. It was more about what another GM was willing to do.

For me, Sanford was worth one dinner at Ponderosa, soooooooo........Sayonara, Big Dummy!!

Logan Brown can be an AHLer, cuz that's what he is and the 4th rounder we receive will have as much of a chance as Tanner Dickinson. Or we use the 4th to round out a trade.

We lose a piece of forward depth, but gained some cap relief.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

Exactly, despite his raw skills, he simply has no idea how to play hockey.

Good to see us finally move on.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brown's skill, vision and playmaking ability was among the best in the Sens organization. Put up over a PPG in the AHL the last season he was healthy for a reason. Kid has eyes in the back of his head and can find seams on the PP that few others can.

I wouldn't expect much from him unless he's getting some offensive opportunity and PP time, but if he does get opportunities, can stay healthy, and actually starts giving a crap now that he's out of Ottawa, he has the potential to develop into a decent #2 center.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Brown's skill, vision and playmaking ability was among the best in the Sens organization. Put up over a PPG in the AHL the last season he was healthy for a reason. Kid has eyes in the back of his head and can find seams on the PP that few others can.

I wouldn't expect much from him unless he's getting some offensive opportunity and PP time, but if he does get opportunities, can stay healthy, and actually starts giving a crap now that he's out of Ottawa, he has the potential to develop into a decent #2 center.
Does Brown skate well enough to be a second liner? I seem to remember a few Sens' fans writing that he's too slow.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Does Brown skate well enough to be a second liner? I seem to remember a few Sens' fans writing that he's too slow.
Unlikely. Unless this change of scenery puts extra pep never before seen in his step. It’s possible he was just totally unmotivated here.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

If any team in the league, could of used a top 6 centre in the last few years, it was the Sens, and he couldn’t crack the lineup and stay.

Reactions: Icelevel

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

He is 6-foot-7. He's a decent skater, but it does take him a fair bit of ramp-up time to get going. His tall, gangly body also makes his skating look visually unappealing...you'd really need to sit down and watch the kid for awhile to get a better handle on his skating. He's a bit like Chara in that it's really difficult to gauge how much speed he can get on his skates.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If any team in the league, could of used a top 6 centre in the last few years, it was the Sens, and he couldn’t crack the lineup and stay.

The Sens aren’t exactly built or coached to really go anywhere. That front office is a disaster.

Plug Brown in and see what happens. Kids got talent and the eye and is on a team whose front office is out to win. Might bring out the best in him.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He is 6-foot-7. He's a decent skater, but it does take him a fair bit of ramp-up time to get going. His tall, gangly body also makes his skating look visually unappealing...you'd really need to sit down and watch the kid for awhile to get a better handle on his skating. He's a bit like Chara in that it's really difficult to gauge how much speed he can get on his skates.

Perhaps he is happy and will try a little harder
watching him coast from the other teams goal to the bench during a line change was painfull, the other team would be deep in the zone creating scoring chances before he completed his change. It may have been out of spite but it was how he played every chance he got

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Would love any updates on Brown if he gets in a pre season game fellas.

Oh for the record....we all hate Sandford after 1 game.

But we understand the necessity of getting to the cap floor and moving a disgruntled player in Brown.
haha, told ya.. some good peeps over there

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

But we understand the necessity of getting to the cap floor and moving a disgruntled player in Brown.

He played last night. Brown, imo, was horrible and not at all a fit for our team. He made some decent passes. He definitely has some creativity and puck skills. But he is also deathly afraid of any contact. He forechecked like his stick was a smelly piece of trash he was trying to hand to the opposing player and he held it out as far away from him as he could and turned his nose away from it. He completely disengaged in a board battle if anyone came near him. He would be going to the board to grab a puck and straghten up completely when someone got near, so they wouldn't touch him. It was weird. The Blues are about puck possession and cycling down low. They need forwards who can dig out pucks and win board battles to maintain possession. That is their game. We don't have a role on a line for a guy will make occasional pretty plays and never touch anyone.

One person liked what he provided better on our GDT. But a few others did not like his game either. Take it for what's its worth. Sanford is frustrating but he is a 3rd line NHL player. You guys won the trade easily. We got the cap space we needed though, so its fine for us too. But you got the far, far better player, and I am not a Sanford fan at all.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
He played last night. Brown, imo, was horrible and not at all a fit for our team. He made some decent passes. He definitely has some creativity and puck skills. But he is also deathly afraid of any contact. He forechecked like his stick was a smelly piece of trash he was trying to hand to the opposing player and he held it out as far away from him as he could and turned his nose away from it. He completely disengaged in a board battle if anyone came near him. He would be going to the board to grab a puck and straghten up completely when someone got near, so they wouldn't touch him. It was weird. The Blues are about puck possession and cycling down low. They need forwards who can dig out pucks and win board battles to maintain possession. That is their game. We don't have a role on a line for a guy will make occasional pretty plays and never touch anyone.

One person liked what he provided better on our GDT. But a few others did not like his game either. Take it for what's its worth. Sanford is frustrating but he is a 3rd line NHL player. You guys won the trade easily. We got the cap space we needed though, so its fine for us too. But you got the far, far better player, and I am not a Sanford fan at all.
this is sounding like 'you got better garbage than we got' lol

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Sounds exactly like the Brown Sens fans soured on. Hes very frustrating.

Thanks for the update!

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015

lol jeez

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Brown can skate, can shoot can pass. But he's disengaged, doesn't win any battles, plays like he's 5'2 and has no work ethic. He's a waste of talent, should be an nhler no question but I guess hes meh about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad