Confirmed with Link: Sanford traded

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like it.

I’ve defended Sanford a lot because he’s not that bad but he was clearly gone via free agency next summer. He had no future here because the Blues have no patience left for him. He is what he is and won’t change.

Brown has his faults but in reading his quotes, he is absolutely pumped to be here and it sounds like he didn’t like Ottawa. Who knows if he will ever reach his potential (probably not), but it’s worth a shot on a 23-year old who helps our cap issues.

Clearly, the Blues were hoping Sanford and Blais would become a couple power forwards they could count on. Neither of them could do it consistently and we shipped them out. Maybe Kostin and Brown can form some chemistry and try to become those players.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
A 2nd for Sanford seems like wishful thinking. They've apparently been shopping him for a while.
Wishful thinking? Sure, but do you value a player who has a track record of "not working hard" or a late 2nd/3rd round pick? It's a hard question to think about because Brown has loads of talent and he is still quite young, but it's kind of a what if scenario. Either way I'm kind of indifferent about it.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
You could make the case that the Blues should have just taken a 2nd rounder or something for Sanford, but an asset like Brown isn't awful. I really doubt Brown makes the team and I see a realistic scenario where he's either lost to waivers or clears and plays in the AHL because he's just sitting. I'll happily eat crow on that one, but he just seems like a typically naive player with tons of talent that doesn't want to put the hard work into his playing (a la Washkurak). I hope he can find a gear here to be a nice addition to the bottom 6, but let's be honest with ourselves, it probably won't happen unless he has a major mental change.

As far as trading Sanford, I am of the belief that Kostin will more than fill Sanford's role and then some. Maybe not score 30 points in 56 games, but a nice year here with 20-ish points in 70 something games. His power forward play is what will really show it's value here, and I think he's decently skilled to show up Sanford. I hope Sanford can find a place in Ottawa, but even if he scores 50+ points, we were bound to trade him. Just too inconsistent and we're over the cap.

Edit: Over the cap with Sunny comes back***
dude has 74 CAREER pts... he's not all of a sudden scoring 50+, and he def ain't doing that from OTT's 3rd line

Kostin should be a player this year.. it's his time

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
and good question.. I thought this made the Blues cap compliant even WITH Sunny not being on LTIR. is that not true?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
and good question.. I thought this made the Blues cap compliant even WITH Sunny not being on LTIR. is that not true?

With the roster below, we’d have 17K in cap space. So we barely fit.

14 F-
O’Reilly, Tarasenko, Schenn, Perron, Buchnevich, Saad, Kyrou, Thomas, Bozak, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Kostin, Brown, Clifford

7 D-
Parayko, Krug, Faulk, Scandella, Mikkola, Bortuzzo, Walman

2 G-
Binnington, Husso

I’m starting to think that at least one of the PTO’s will be signed for the minimum, with Clifford being waived to give us a tad bit more room. That would give us the ability to call up someone like Perunovich who has a higher cap hit than Walman/Mikkola.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
A deal to get cap compliant while trading a player the Blues tried (and apparently failed) to trade earlier in the year? There is nothing not to like about this. Sanford has reached his ceiling as an NHLer. Now they have Brown, a former 11th overall pick that has been plagued with injuries but still probably has some upside and room to develop. Plus, it probably also suggests that some of the prospects like Neighbours or Kostin have impressed.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Wishful thinking? Sure, but do you value a player who has a track record of "not working hard" or a late 2nd/3rd round pick? It's a hard question to think about because Brown has loads of talent and he is still quite young, but it's kind of a what if scenario. Either way I'm kind of indifferent about it.
What makes you think someone would give us a 2nd for Sanford?

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
I know nothing about Brown but I'm happy the Blues got rid of Sanford. I wouldn't mind sending him even if we got nothing back. I wanted the Blues to get faster and trading the slowest player (Sandford) on the team helps a lot.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm absolutely good with this trade.

I've honestly never been a Sanford fan (I appreciate his goal in the 2019 7th Stanley Cup game and his solid penalty kill, but I didn't like the Shattenkirk trade, and that - probably unfairly - clouded my judgment on him.), and getting someone like Logan Brown - a kid who has oodles of potential, in my eyes, and is potentially motivated to play for a hometown team - is great. If he doesn't make it, then we have an extra fourth round pick. And then there's extra cap, which we needed. I see no downside, and plenty of upside.

I honestly think that Brown and Kostin could make this team initially with Kostin in a third line role with Thomas and Brown as a fourth line wing alongside Bozak and Barbashev, both of whom could mentor him, while providing an offensive spark that Ottawa never could/tried to cultivate.

First line: Perron - O'Reilly - Kyrou
Second line: Buchnevich - Schenn - Tarasenko
Third line: Saad - Thomas - Kostin
Fourth line: Brown - Bozak - Barbashev
Pressbox: MacEachern, Joshua (I could see us releasing Clifford for more cap space, and I honestly don't expect much from Neal or Frolik.)

When Sundqvist comes back, I could see us benching Brown, especially if he doesn't play up to what I think he could, but he has a ton of potential, and I think we have the players and coaches to unlock it.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I'm absolutely good with this trade.

I've honestly never been a Sanford fan (I appreciate his goal in the 2019 7th Stanley Cup game and his solid penalty kill, but I didn't like the Shattenkirk trade, and that - probably unfairly - clouded my judgment on him.), and getting someone like Logan Brown - a kid who has oodles of potential, in my eyes, and is potentially motivated to play for a hometown team - is great. If he doesn't make it, then we have an extra fourth round pick. And then there's extra cap, which we needed. I see no downside, and plenty of upside.

I honestly think that Brown and Kostin could make this team initially with Kostin in a third line role with Thomas and Brown as a fourth line wing alongside Bozak and Barbashev, both of whom could mentor him, while providing an offensive spark that Ottawa never could/tried to cultivate.

First line: Perron - O'Reilly - Kyrou
Second line: Buchnevich - Schenn - Tarasenko
Third line: Saad - Thomas - Kostin
Fourth line: Brown - Bozak - Barbashev
Pressbox: MacEachern, Joshua (I could see us releasing Clifford for more cap space, and I honestly don't expect much from Neal or Frolik.)

When Sundqvist comes back, I could see us benching Brown, especially if he doesn't play up to what I think he could, but he has a ton of potential, and I think we have the players and coaches to unlock it.
flip kyrou and saad just cause I wanna see a new 'kid line'!!
and I think kyrou and thomas both are at their best when they play with speed

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Wasn't really a fan of Brown his draft year, and not really a fan of him now, or his potential as a fit here.

Then again, I wasn't exactly a huge fan of Sanford, either.

All you can really hope for out of a cap dump trade is that it doesn't hurt the big club too much, and that you don't get taken to the woodshed on value. This cleared both hurdles.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Sens fan here. If any of you guys are interested, there was a scrimmage today that was posted on youtube. The whole training camp was broken into two teams. The video is on the Sens board under the scrimmage thread if you want to watch. I was actually doing a breakdown of every single Logan Brown shift until the trade happened and I gave up. You can see my post later in the thread summarizing.

The reason I mention it was because Brown played pretty well and the game gives a good example of what he can do offensively (at a low intensity anyway), but it also gives a look at some of his limitations. It is a good example of what to expect.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
A 2nd for Sanford seems like wishful thinking. They've apparently been shopping him for a while.
I agree totally. I think that a 3rd Rounder would be the highest for him, even from a desperate, injury-riddled team in the playoff race, during mid-season, just after their last forward who can do any scoring at his position (LW, RW, or C) gets a long-term injury.

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Might have been able to get a 2nd if he had multiple years left, but not being a UFA at years end.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
dude has 74 CAREER pts... he's not all of a sudden scoring 50+, and he def ain't doing that from OTT's 3rd line

Kostin should be a player this year.. it's his time
2 years ago Sanford was on pace for 42 points. Whether he can maintain that type of play over 82 games is questionable, but he'll get a lot of opportunities and maybe more playing time seeing as he played nearly 15 min a night. It would be the kind of scenario where the change of scenery motivates him and the following year he slumps back down to his career numbers. However, I do agree it's Kostin's time.

What makes you think someone would give us a 2nd for Sanford?
There are plenty of dumb gm's who would give up a 2nd for Sanford if the cap worked out. Plenty of players got 3rds, so I think you could trick someone into giving up a 2nd.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
2 years ago Sanford was on pace for 42 points. Whether he can maintain that type of play over 82 games is questionable, but he'll get a lot of opportunities and maybe more playing time seeing as he played nearly 15 min a night. It would be the kind of scenario where the change of scenery motivates him and the following year he slumps back down to his career numbers. However, I do agree it's Kostin's time.

There are plenty of dumb gm's who would give up a 2nd for Sanford if the cap worked out. Plenty of players got 3rds, so I think you could trick someone into giving up a 2nd.
He is making $2mm and is UFA in a year. While there are worse players who return 2nds, I think with cap tight leaguewide and him a year from walking, getting a 2nd at this point was steep hill.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sens fan here. If any of you guys are interested, there was a scrimmage today that was posted on youtube. The whole training camp was broken into two teams. The video is on the Sens board under the scrimmage thread if you want to watch. I was actually doing a breakdown of every single Logan Brown shift until the trade happened and I gave up. You can see my post later in the thread summarizing.

The reason I mention it was because Brown played pretty well and the game gives a good example of what he can do offensively (at a low intensity anyway), but it also gives a look at some of his limitations. It is a good example of what to expect.
Thanks for posting. Watching the scrimmage, it's clear he is really skilled and great passer both in terms of vision and accuracy. I would like to see him skate less in circles and more in straight lines/sharper turns, as he seems to take himself out of the play too often, especially in D zone. This is where it looks like he might be better suited to playing wing, where he has less defensive responsibility and can simplify things.

Reactions: Icelevel

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I agree totally. I think that a 3rd Rounder would be the highest for him, even from a desperate, injury-riddled team in the playoff race, during mid-season, just after their last forward who can do any scoring at his position (LW, RW, or C) gets a long-term injury.
Dang. That’s rough.

He might even come after the bus driver.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have pretty low expectations from Brown, but at least he’s an asset with some potential to be a contributor. I won’t be surprised if he struggles to stick in the NHL with the Blues or avoid being a healthy scratch. The door opens for Kostin.

There may be a legit opportunity for one of the PTOs to make the team now.

Could Brown clear waivers? I bet Arizona would claim him, or hell maybe Ottawa.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
did not see that coming , bye bye junkman

Sanford recorded his only goal of the postseason during Game 7 as the Blues earned their first Stanley Cup in their 52-year franchise history.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Wasn't really a fan of Brown his draft year, and not really a fan of him now, or his potential as a fit here.

Then again, I wasn't exactly a huge fan of Sanford, either.

All you can really hope for out of a cap dump trade is that it doesn't hurt the big club too much, and that you don't get taken to the woodshed on value. This cleared both hurdles.
This is where I am at.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Perfectly fine with it, we've got forwards to spare, shed some needed cap, and got a low cost reclamation project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad