Confirmed with Link: Sanford traded

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Brown can skate, can shoot can pass. But he's disengaged, doesn't win any battles, plays like he's 5'2 and has no work ethic. He's a waste of talent, should be an nhler no question but I guess hes meh about it.
looks like he (Brown) passed thru waivers so now he can go to the A and play. if he stays there most of the year, we get him and the pick out of the deal

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
looks like he (Brown) passed thru waivers so now he can go to the A and play. if he stays there most of the year, we get him and the pick out of the deal

At 23, if he can't force his way onto the roster this year, then keeping him doesn't matter all that much. Kostin is a year younger, made the team, and people are still writing him off for not securing a top 9 role. Brown either learns to compete in puck battles and defense before the end of this year, or I wouldn't even bother to qualify him for next year. If he learns to compete and give full effort, then we should call him up because the skill is there.

Reactions: Brian39

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
At 23, if he can't force his way onto the roster this year, then keeping him doesn't matter all that much. Kostin is a year younger, made the team, and people are still writing him off for not securing a top 9 role. Brown either learns to compete in puck battles and defense before the end of this year, or I wouldn't even bother to qualify him for next year. If he learns to compete and give full effort, then we should call him up because the skill is there.
I wonder if Army didn't do this trade with NEXT year in mind. roster is crowded as is

give Brown a year in the system and see how he does. my understanding is, when healthy, he is a very productive player in the A

so I guess we see how he does, hopefully he grows this year, and we can get something out of him

if not, no big deal as he prolly wasn't as important in the deal than the cap savings was

Reactions: Brian39

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wonder if Army didn't do this trade with NEXT year in mind. roster is crowded as is

give Brown a year in the system and see how he does. my understanding is, when healthy, he is a very productive player in the A

so I guess we see how he does, hopefully he grows this year, and we can get something out of him

if not, no big deal as he prolly wasn't as important in the deal than the cap savings was
Brown is a lottery ticket. We did this deal for cap. Getting pick was nice value given that reality. If brown figures it out and becomes a player that would be awesome. But I don’t think we had any real expectations of him helping us this year, if ever.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Brown is a lottery ticket. We did this deal for cap. Getting pick was nice value given that reality. If brown figures it out and becomes a player that would be awesome. But I don’t think we had any real expectations of him helping us this year, if ever.
I agree! After watching him, I am convinced he is too soft to play in the NHL, especially on the Blues. If worst comes to worst, we gained cap space, a late pick, and a career AHL'er. I am okay with that.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It was a good trade for both teams. Sanford for a 4th plus cap flexibility is fair value. If the Blues had had Brown last season, he probably would have gotten his 30 games in with all the injuries elsewhere.

Hopefully he'll reset his career and find a path back to the NHL. Its not going to be easy on the Blues, but indications are that his enthusiasm is pretty high. I don't know the Ottawa organization well enough to know whether his development may have been suboptimal, but I think they actually do pretty well in that department overall.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It was a good trade for both teams. Sanford for a 4th plus cap flexibility is fair value. If the Blues had had Brown last season, he probably would have gotten his 30 games in with all the injuries elsewhere.

Hopefully he'll reset his career and find a path back to the NHL. Its not going to be easy on the Blues, but indications are that his enthusiasm is pretty high. I don't know the Ottawa organization well enough to know whether his development may have been suboptimal, but I think they actually do pretty well in that department overall.
Indeed. The Blues have a way of making lower skilled players excel at their game and get some NHL ice time. Lets see what a different organization from Ottawa can do with him for a change.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Sunny had 5pts in 42 games in his first year with the Blues as a 23yr old. He then had 31pts in 74 games the following year.

Maybe Brown puts it together over the course of the year, maybe not. Just clearing the cap of Sanford was enough to make what’s likely to be a 4th round pick worth it, if Brown ends up being something, all the better.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Sunny had 5pts in 42 games in his first year with the Blues as a 23yr old. He then had 31pts in 74 games the following year.

Maybe Brown puts it together over the course of the year, maybe not. Just clearing the cap of Sanford was enough to make what’s likely to be a 4th round pick worth it, if Brown ends up being something, all the better.
I felt like the Blues targeted Sundqvist and at least somewhat targeted Sanford in trade (or was that Pheonix Copely :sarcasm:). But I don't think they targeted Brown at all.

Its not the kind of trade that is going to have big ramifications in and of itself, but it allowed the Blues to fit Tarasenko under the cap after making a signing like Neal. I don't even think Sundqvist's return will create the crisis it once appeared to bring. So the cap space may end up being the most value asset the Blues obtained. Good luck to Sanford, but I don't think he was going to become more than he is...and that's a pretty replaceable piece.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Berube said Brown needs to figure out what type of player he is and get stronger and quicker.

Lol, not a good sign when you’re 6’6 220 and the coach is calling you out for needing to be stronger.

He’s a huge bust.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Berube said Brown needs to figure out what type of player he is and get stronger and quicker.

Lol, not a good sign when you’re 6’6 220 and the coach is calling you out for needing to be stronger.

He’s a huge bust.
Didn’t take long for berube to sour on him.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
its a shame sanford cannot put it all together. the guy has talent and can play playoff hockey when hes on.

Looks like we dodged a bullet here and got a much needed cap dump.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
2g2a in 8 games. Not great, not horrible.
I haven’t seen anything but highlights, but he was the #1 star last night despite Ellis’ performance and other teammates having more points. I hope that is an indication of having an impact on the game when he’s not necessarily on the score sheet a lot, something he desperately needs to work on if he is going to make it to the NHL and stick.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad