Confirmed with Link: San Jose terminating Evander Kane's contract

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
For sure. It is important to remember that for all their faults and blunders that one may have, an athlete is still a human. It does not excuse shitty behaviour and some one needs to be accountable for same, but the context is important. It is very easy to hammer away on a keyboard criticizing someone's personality that you don't even know; the internet and forums like this are bad for that. Evander will pay the piper one way of another in terms of being accountable financially, legally, or emotionally. But it is very important to also remember he has kids, and those kids will one day do an internet search on dad only to find innumerable anonymous people ripping the guy a part. I don't think they deserve to read that garbage. They will likely have enough to deal with as far as collateral effects from a very public parental separation.

As long as you have some similar sense of understanding and sympathy for the countless good and decent people that Kane insulted, assaulted, creeped on, stiffed on tips, ditched on tabs, and in general treated not as a human but as a prop, as sociopaths are wont to do, to justify his own selfish behaviour. TL;DR: I guess I just don't see much of a reason why "anonymous keyboard warrior criticizing famous person" is so much worse than "famous person accusing anonymous civilians of moral failure by the millions, as that was preferable to personal accountability".

Like, if the phrase "punching up / punching down" has even the tiniest ounce of credibility, then surely it would apply here to people who are taking delight in the self-inflicted downfall of a (EDIT: formerly) rich, famous, privileged male athlete.

Retaliatory delight as well, I might add.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The NHLPA has to file a grievance , probably because Kane wants them to, and secondly because the NHLPA just has to disagree with anything the teams or league does just on principle.

Interesting that this is the same NHLPA that doesn't appear to care when one of their players is sexually assaulted but are willing to go to bat for a person like Kane. :eyeroll:

they also couldn’t care less about headshots, NHLPA does nothing but cry when a player dies from dementia caused by multiple head injuries but says nothing when current players are knocked and battered in the head, getting Spezza’s suspension reduced for the head shot on Pionk, all good says the NHLPA more money for Spezza!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Evander Kane cleared unconditional waivers Sunday and the San Jose Sharks terminated what was left of his seven-year, $49 million contract.

Per the NHL’s CBA with the PA, any grievance by the NHLPA must be initiated within 60 days of Sunday’s decision. If the grievance cannot be resolved by the parties, the NHLPA and Kane may elect to have the case heard by an impartial arbitrator.

So, Kane has cleared waivers as expected...does this mean he can sign with another team today or does he have to wait until the grievance is dealt with?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Evander Kane cleared unconditional waivers Sunday and the San Jose Sharks terminated what was left of his seven-year, $49 million contract.

Per the NHL’s CBA with the PA, any grievance by the NHLPA must be initiated within 60 days of Sunday’s decision. If the grievance cannot be resolved by the parties, the NHLPA and Kane may elect to have the case heard by an impartial arbitrator.

So, Kane has cleared waivers as expected...does this mean he can sign with another team today or does he have to wait until the grievance is dealt with?

I believe the PA and league need to sort that out. If he signs somewhere else and then wins his grievance he'd have two contracts which i don't see as being allowed.

Reactions: weslox

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just had a post deleted from this thread. OK, fine, not complaining about that. But I don't know which post.

The system should be set up to link to the deleted post somehow. Or the alert informing me of the deletion should contain the offensive content, or something. I have no idea what line I crossed. How will I ever learn?
Yeah I don't really know thy this was changed. When I was a mod you let the poster know exactly what was edited or deleted and why.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I believe the PA and league need to sort that out. If he signs somewhere else and then wins his grievance he'd have two contracts which i don't see as being allowed.

San Jose already has a player they are still paying for, yet that player has signed with another team... Martin Jones. Now this is a buyout, so even though he is getting paid by SJ, he can't play for SJ.

Where with Kane... if he wins his case then SJ would be paying him, but he could technically play for them also? While being under contract to play for someone else?

If Kane wins, maybe the NHL / NHLPA would see Kane as a buyout, but with his full contract value, but then what's the cap hit to SJ? Maybe SJ just has to pay him his whole contract remaining then he's off the books with no cap hit?

Just very interested to see how this plays out.

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
San Jose already has a player they are still paying for, yet that player has signed with another team... Martin Jones. Now this is a buyout, so even though he is getting paid by SJ, he can't play for SJ.

Where with Kane... if he wins his case then SJ would be paying him, but he could technically play for them also? While being under contract to play for someone else?

If Kane wins, maybe the NHL / NHLPA would see Kane as a buyout, but with his full contract value, but then what's the cap hit to SJ? Maybe SJ just has to pay him his whole contract remaining then he's off the books with no cap hit?

Imo they settle prior to arbitration ala Richard's.

Reactions: ps241

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I would agree the argument is they placed him on unconditional waivers to terminate his contract, but in order to do so he needs to be bought out.
He'll never play for SJ again regardless...enjoy the hot dogs Kaner.

Reactions: Jets 31

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Why any team would even consider having this guy in their dressing room is beyond me, but the allure of his skills on the ice is, I guess, just too tempting. There's a new wrinkle to this saga. The NHL is now investigating if EK broke rules when he crossed the border to Canada while playing for SJ farm team.

There's been a lot of commentary today about EK and a thought came to my mind that made me laugh out loud. With all this interest in EK's services, there are clearly at least 3 teams that have absolutely no interest. SJ, of course. Buffalo and Winnipeg. What made me laugh was two of those 3 teams are frequently on players no trade list.

How bad must you be that the 2 teams no player wants to be traded to don't want you. LOL

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Why any team would even consider having this guy in their dressing room is beyond me, but the allure of his skills on the ice is, I guess, just too tempting. There's a new wrinkle to this saga. The NHL is now investigating if EK broke rules when he crossed the border to Canada while playing for SJ farm team.

There's been a lot of commentary today about EK and a thought came to my mind that made me laugh out loud. With all this interest in EK's services, there are clearly at least 3 teams that have absolutely no interest. SJ, of course. Buffalo and Winnipeg. What made me laugh was two of those 3 teams are frequently on players no trade list.

How bad must you be that the 2 teams no player wants to be traded to don't want you. LOL

What's really funny is Kane has a list of teams he wants to be traded too and Winnipeg is one of them! :laugh:

He put Winnipeg on there cause knows the Jets don't want him thereby limiting San Jose's trade options! :thumbu:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
What's really funny is Kane has a list of teams he wants to be traded too and Winnipeg is one of them! :laugh:

He put Winnipeg on there cause knows the Jets don't want him thereby limiting San Jose's trade options! :thumbu:

Buffalo is reportedly also on Kane's 3 team trade list.

EDIT: WAS on his list, his contract has already been terminated.

Reactions: Guardian17

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I just had a post deleted from this thread. OK, fine, not complaining about that. But I don't know which post.

The system should be set up to link to the deleted post somehow. Or the alert informing me of the deletion should contain the offensive content, or something. I have no idea what line I crossed. How will I ever learn?

How will you ever learn? I think Evander Kane will be moderating a sensitivity seminar in the near future. Attendees must wear a track suit.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad