San Jose Sharks top prospect

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I don't see how or why anyone would think Goldobin's "ceiling" is higher than any of the others mentioned. His defense is beyond horrible and that is a big part of ice hockey. Tierney has put up right around the same amount of points as him but while playing both ends of the ice well. To me he has way more potential and is definitely more likely to make it as a top line player. I'd be surprised if Goldobin ever makes as an NHL'er to be honest. He has been a star player on horrible teams and has never even sniffed being a + player. That scares me. Then you take a guy like Meier who seems to have all the tools but played in the Q. Hard to gauge sometimes but he did well in the tourneys and whatnot too. So I'd take him over Goldobin too.

Goldobin put up more points on a terribad Sarnia team, than Tierney did on a very good London Knights team.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I don't see how or why anyone would think Goldobin's "ceiling" is higher than any of the others mentioned. His defense is beyond horrible and that is a big part of ice hockey. Tierney has put up right around the same amount of points as him but while playing both ends of the ice well. To me he has way more potential and is definitely more likely to make it as a top line player. I'd be surprised if Goldobin ever makes as an NHL'er to be honest. He has been a star player on horrible teams and has never even sniffed being a + player. That scares me. Then you take a guy like Meier who seems to have all the tools but played in the Q. Hard to gauge sometimes but he did well in the tourneys and whatnot too. So I'd take him over Goldobin too.
Goldobin has the tools to be a top line player. Elite offensive instincts, high hockey IQ, great vision and playmaking, and a good shot. While his defense does lack, his ceiling is highest because of all the tools he possesses. Now whether or not he can handle the physicality of the league and not be a complete liability defensively where it actively hurts the team when he's on the ice is another story, and will be his biggest challenge when trying to crack the lineup.

Tierney is the much safer bet to become a better NHL player, but his potential is not as high as Goldobin's.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Goldobin put up more points on a terribad Sarnia team, than Tierney did on a very good London Knights team.

He barely put up more points and he certainly was on the ice for WAY more goals against. It's safe to say the edge Tierney has defensively is way bigger than the edge Goldobin might have in offensive talent. Plus Tierney is a tremendous playmaker/passer/setup guy.

Goldobin has the tools to be a top line player. Elite offensive instincts, high hockey IQ, great vision and playmaking, and a good shot. While his defense does lack, his ceiling is highest because of all the tools he possesses. Now whether or not he can handle the physicality of the league and not be a complete liability defensively where it actively hurts the team when he's on the ice is another story, and will be his biggest challenge when trying to crack the lineup.

Tierney is the much safer bet to become a better NHL player, but his potential is not as high as Goldobin's.

Goldobin gets the edge in goal scoring but not playmaking imo. And Tierney severley out-classes him in defense. Therefore I think Tierney is the better prospect. However, Goldobin is younger and that is a big factor and argument for having a chance at going full beast mode at any point in the next couple of years I guess.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If we are talking ceiling, Roy probably has it over Goldobin. I still think Tierney will be the better than Goldobin or Meier.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He barely put up more points

I'm not gonna get into a debate about defense but Tierney put up 34pts in 65 games in his draft year. That's not even in the same hemisphere as Goldobin's 94pts in 67.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Goldobin gets the edge in goal scoring but not playmaking imo.
I never said he was a better playmaker than Tierney, but he is a very good playmaker and that only helps his high offensive potential. I agree that Tierney is currently the better prospect, but Goldobin has the higher ceiling.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Tierney is definitely the most likely to make it in the NHL but he's not up there in raw talent. Probably either Goldobin or Meier but I know nothing of the new kid.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
make this a top 10 vote do #1 then #2 and so on and only players who haven't graduated because Mueller and Tierney are not really prospects anymore

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Tierney only played 4 more games than Mueller.

What do you think the odds of Mueller playing in the AHL this year are?

What do you think the odds of Tierney playing in the AHL this year?

Until Mueller makes the team this year I say he's a prospect and I'm a Mueller defender around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad