San Jose Sharks top prospect

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Who is the top prospect?

This is based on what you value in prospects, there is no set scale.

Also tell me any prospects that you feel should be added. I was going to do the top 10 prospects.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
As it stands right now our most valuable prospect is Meier. As much as we like Tierney, no one would trade a 1st for him (yet). Roy could be in short order, but at the moment Meier has more value. Mueller just came off a rough season. Goldobin is a big ?

I think Chartier is pretty close to being top-5 at this point.

I'd rank them Meier > Goldobin > Roy > Tierney > Mueller > Chartier > Lablanc > Bergman > Donskoi

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As it stands right now our most valuable prospect is Meier. As much as we like Tierney, no one would trade a 1st for him (yet). Roy could be in short order, but at the moment Meier has more value. Mueller just came off a rough season. Goldobin is a big ?

I'd rank them Meier > Goldobin > Roy > Tierney > Mueller > Chartier > Lablanc > Bergman > Donskoi

See I would rank them
Mueller/Meier
Meier/Mueller
Goldobin
Tierney
Roy

But we all have different scales we rank prospects on. Like I probably base more on potential than most and don't really worry about NHL readiness as much.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I got Tierney first cuz he is NHL ready and he's had a good showing both offensively and defensively at the NHL level when we didn't expect much of either really. Also IMO he's got that "it" factor that great players just have.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
It really depends on how you rate players,
Do you rate their ceilings as best prospect?
Do you rate NHL readiness?

For me, I'd rate Tierney high because he's almost there, whereas some people will rate Godolbin high because of his ceiling. Same as the 2015 pair in Meier and Roy, some will rate Meier higher because of the probability of succeeeding to the NHL is very high, whereas others will rate Roy higher because he could potentially become a #1/2 D-Man, not saying Meier can't become a Star either, just probably a lesser chance.

For me I find it hard to seperate our prospects right now, because Burke and DW have done a GREAT job in selecting different kinda prospects,
Mueller is a good Def Dman prospect, Roy is a good Off Dman prospect, Tierney is a great complimentry C prospect, Meier is a safer top 6 Wing prospect with high end skill, whilst Goldobin may turn into nothing, but has that good chance of being a star. But I voted for Meier.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
We have a good group of top-5 prospects then a small drop off. But as posted above, it really depends how you value them. Personally, I'm around 60/40 in terms of potential/readiness while also factoring in the likelihood to reach that potential.

I'd rank them Tierney > Meier > Goldobin > Mueller > Roy

As for the rest of the top-10, I'd add Chartier, Bergman, O'Regan, Brodzinski, DeMelo, Kuraly, Donskoi, Rod, Labanc.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I rated Tierney first because he has a skill set that applies very well to role for which he's competing. He holds it together like the 2nd half of last season, and he's the answer to a long lingering question.

Other guys have a longer and less certain road ahead.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
To be honest, I don't consider Tierney to be a prospect anymore.

That being said,
Tierney > Goldobin > Meier = Roy > Mueller >Chartier

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Roy is the Sharks top prospect.

As of now I'd rank the top 5:

Roy
Goldobin
Meier
Tierney
Mueller

My top 10-12 would be filled out with Chartier, Sadowy, Jevpalovs, Lebanc, O'Regan, Bergman, Donskoi.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Roy is the Sharks top prospect.

As of now I'd rank the top 5:

Roy
Goldobin
Meier
Tierney
Mueller

My top 10-12 would be filled out with Chartier, Sadowy, Jevpalovs, Lebanc, O'Regan, Bergman, Donskoi.

Out of curiosity, would you have taken Roy over many or any of the defensemen taken ahead of him?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Out of curiosity, would you have taken Roy over many or any of the defensemen taken ahead of him?

Absolutely not over Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski.

I can see pretty convincing arguments for Chabot & Juulsen over Roy but I can see arguments for Roy ahead of both of them as well.

All that said I don't think it's a stretch that Roy was the 4th best d-man available in this draft.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Absolutely not over Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski.

I can see pretty convincing arguments for Chabot & Juulsen over Roy but I can see arguments for Roy ahead of both of them as well.

All that said I don't think it's a stretch that Roy was the 4th best d-man available in this draft.

Alright, that's cool to know. It's pretty exciting to know that we have a high potential defenseman with some good offensive pop in his game.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

I basically agree 100% with this. I voted Meier simply because of the combination of skill, certainty and upside. An argument could be made for Goldobin, but I don't see a realistic argument for any other players being the top prospect.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Donskoi is going to surprise most on here.

Meier
Goldy
Chartier
Roy- only D prospect
Jevpalov

Tierney/Mueller are now nhl players so I left them off

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Depends. Are you basing your criteria on:

1) Who is most NHL-ready right now?

2) Who has the highest ceiling?

3) Who holds the most value in a trade?

4) Organization need?

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
I picked Goldobin not just because of his ceiling but because of where he fits in organizational need.

That kid can really dish the puck and he'll be a star in the NHL when he makes it.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad