San Jose Sharks top prospect

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Chris Tierney

Nikolay Goldobin

Timo Meier

Jeremy Roy

Just thought it was funny that there could be four different answers for these questions :laugh:. But absolutely true, it depends how each individual values a prospect.

1) Who is most NHL-ready right now?
Tierney, Meier, Goldobin

2) Who has the highest ceiling?

Meier, Goldobin, Roy

3) Who holds the most value in a trade?

Meier, Tierney, Roy

4) Organization need?

Roy, Meier, Goldobin

Pretty interesting pattern hehe.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Imagine if Goldobin was never not on a line with one of Ehlers,Drouin, or Fiala. He would have put up 130+ points in Jrs. and would be called the Russian Patrick Kane.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Meier is top prospect as of now. Tierney not far behind. Roy has the potential to be a top 10 prospect in the league if he keeps improving.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How are you defining "prospects"? Tierney has played 43 NHL games already.

Just not guaranteed a spot on the roster next year. I would say that Tierney hasn't. He has almost completely won the spot, but DeBoer may decide to move Hertl to center and keep Tierney in the AHL.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Just not guaranteed a spot on the roster next year. I would say that Tierney hasn't. He has almost completely won the spot, but DeBoer may decide to move Hertl to center and keep Tierney in the AHL.

Who here honestly thinks Tierney won't get a roster spot next season? Tierney is a responsible two-way forward who had a .49 ppg while only playing 12mins/game.

Jul 10, 2010
How can anyone have Roy above Meier? Do you think our scouts are complete idiots?
#2 D that can QB the PP>>>>Top 6 winger

Meier is just much more likely to hit the top 6 winger, hence he went ninth

Also Tierney is not a prospect anymore... in my mind if hes uneligible for the calder hes a young NHLer now

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I honestly think Jeremy Roy will end up being the best player out of all of them, but, right now, the top prospect is undoubtedly Meier, simply due to draft status. Tierney is the most proven, and is already a solid NHL 3rd line center.

Tierney won't be playing a game in the AHL next season barring injury or some sort of ridiculous circumstances. In 2015, when Tierney was called up for the second time, he played 29 games and scored 19 points. He scored 10 points in the last 10 games of the season. This is in addition to the fact that he's a defensively responsible, strong two-way center. He's here to stay.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Which part? Whether you like Meier or not, almost no one in any mock draft or scouting report had Roy rated above Meier.

Meier is definitely a better prospect. Roy is going to be good but he appears to be a more sexy pick because of our need of an offensive top-pairing D-man.

The "do I think our scouts are stupid?" part. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Chris Tierney

Nikolay Goldobin

Timo Meier

Jeremy Roy

Just thought it was funny that there could be four different answers for these questions :laugh:. But absolutely true, it depends how each individual values a prospect.

Sharks best prospect: Jermo Goldoney. Or Timmy Tierdobin

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I honestly think Jeremy Roy will end up being the best player out of all of them, but, right now, the top prospect is undoubtedly Meier, simply due to draft status. Tierney is the most proven, and is already a solid NHL 3rd line center.

Tierney won't be playing a game in the AHL next season barring injury or some sort of ridiculous circumstances. In 2015, when Tierney was called up for the second time, he played 29 games and scored 19 points. He scored 10 points in the last 10 games of the season. This is in addition to the fact that he's a defensively responsible, strong two-way center. He's here to stay.

Why does draft status (slot) matter? The best prospects aren't always the highest draft picks.

Based on draft status Mueller is the 2nd best prospect & I can pretty easily argue that's not the case.

I think Roy has the highest upside among SJ prospects, to me that puts him at the top.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Top Prospect eh... Does Jones count now? He's played in fewer games than Tierney.

He was traded for after I made this thread. If a prospect other than Tierney wins, I will take him out of the running.

Also the prospects that are set to be added for the next round:
Rourke Chartier
Kevin LaBanc
Joonos Donskoi
Nikita Jevpalos
Dan O'Regan
Noah Rod
Dylan DeMelo
Michael Brodzinski
Julius Bergman

If anyone can think of anyone else that needs to be added then by all means let me know!

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Definitely liking the way our depth chart looks after the last 2 years (yes the forward positions might not be 100% correct):

Jevpalovs-Tierney-Meier
Chartier-Rod-Goldobin
Sadowy-O'Regan-Labanc

Roy
Mueller
Bergman

Last edited:

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Definitely liking the way our depth chart looks after the last 2 years (yes the forward positions might not be 100% correct):

Jevpalovs-Tierney-Meier
Chartier-Rod-Goldobin
Sadowy-O'Regan-Labanc

Roy
Mueller
Bergman

Mueller can't play RD.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
I don't see how or why anyone would think Goldobin's "ceiling" is higher than any of the others mentioned. His defense is beyond horrible and that is a big part of ice hockey. Tierney has put up right around the same amount of points as him but while playing both ends of the ice well. To me he has way more potential and is definitely more likely to make it as a top line player. I'd be surprised if Goldobin ever makes as an NHL'er to be honest. He has been a star player on horrible teams and has never even sniffed being a + player. That scares me. Then you take a guy like Meier who seems to have all the tools but played in the Q. Hard to gauge sometimes but he did well in the tourneys and whatnot too. So I'd take him over Goldobin too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad