GDT: San Jose Sharks @ Edmonton Oilers 1/29 6:30pm CSNCA

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Team is slumping, and has been for awhile in scoring, if Pavelski didn't get so hot recently the scoreboards would be different

I think Couture being out is finally catching up to us. The first line was able to pick up the slack for a while but the rest of the team is contributing jack ****. Also goes to show that without Pavs centering that third line we really are just a two line team.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I think Couture being out is finally catching up to us. The first line was able to pick up the slack for a while but the rest of the team is contributing jack ****. Also goes to show that without Pavs centering that third line we really are just a two line team.

Eh... You win some and you lose some.

Although, I do disagree with the strategy imposed against the Kings. The key to beating the Kings appears to be to not play like the Kings.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Missed a few big opportunities to get real close to the ducks here. That's the most frustrating part. By seasons end if we finish a couple PTS behind them. This will definitely be one of the ones that you look at

GodHatesTheSharks

Nov 20, 2010
Team is slumping, and has been for awhile in scoring, if Pavelski didn't get so hot recently the scoreboards would be different

Not only the offense has been struggling, but this team still struggles how to screen goalies. It would have been a better result if the Sharks knew how to get in Scrivens' face, put bodies in front of him. We miss a guy like Ryane Clowe who was good at that.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Edmonton fan in peace, you guys deserved that game. Thought you guys would appreciate this gif summarizing the game.

codknife.gif

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Eh... You win some and you lose some.

Although, I do disagree with the strategy imposed against the Kings. The key to beating the Kings appears to be to not play like the Kings.

I'm just saying, no one is contributing offensively like the first line is. We're barely getting any offense from anyone outside of that line. Even Burns hasn't been scoring. It's not sustainable and we really don't have anyone who can center that third line effectively besides Pavs. Maybe Hertl but we have no idea if he'll even be back this season.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I'm just saying, no one is contributing offensively like the first line is. We're barely getting any offense from anyone outside of that line. Even Burns hasn't been scoring. It's not sustainable and we really don't have anyone who can center that third line effectively besides Pavs. Maybe Hertl but we have no idea if he'll even be back this season.

Well they finally put havlat back in Torres couture should be back by Saturday. So pavs should go back to third line. Have pairs of joe burns- logan patty- pavs Torres. Then you have havlat wingels Kennedy nieto for the other spots. By this weekend we are only missing hertl this is as healthy as we have been. No excuses should be a big boost to the team

Amp30

Jan 27, 2014
Hey guys, Ducks fan here, I just wanted to leave you guys a positive note. You should be blaming NO ONE on your team right now, because Scrivens is the one who stole the game. It was a rare moment of a goalie game that we will probably never see again. You shouldn't feel down at all because the Sharks played great. Scrivens stole the game, and everyone knows that.

I look forward to playing you guys in playoffs if we meet, you guys are a fun team to watch and are definitely Stanley Cup competitors.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Tough break fellas. Sharks absolutely destroyed the Oilers, but what can you say after a performance like that? Just gotta shake your head and tip your hat to the guy

Well put. That's what it was. Personally, I am still more disappointed at the L. A. loss as with this game, we should have won but simply got beaten by a goalie having like a career game for himself (except, I still think we could have possibly helped ourselves a bit more with some bodies in front of Scrivens. This was lacking quite a bit this game. But, with everything else we threw at him, he was awesome).

Last edited:

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
Well put. That's what it was. Personally, I am still more disappointed at the L. A. loss as with this game, we should have won but simply got beaten by a goalie having like a career game for himself (except, I still think we could have possibly helped ourselves a bit more with some bodies in front of Scrivens. This was lacking quite a bit this game. But, with everything else we threw at him, he was awesome).

Yo. That was a record, and honestly is a "real" shots/shutout record (doesn't include over a whole extra game worth of OT). Calling it a career game is setting the bar way too low.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not only the offense has been struggling, but this team still struggles how to screen goalies. It would have been a better result if the Sharks knew how to get in Scrivens' face, put bodies in front of him. We miss a guy like Ryane Clowe who was good at that.

Ryane Clowe never screened the goalie. Never.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64

I'm sorry, but Clowe didn't screen goalies. Not at least in the last couple years with us when he was trying imitate thornton and failing miserably. Clowe was too busy peeling back on the boards and painting himself into a corner against the blueline before losing the puck.

Edit = Sorry, didn't see my point was already made.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

You need to stop listening to Drew Remenda and Ryane Clowe hardly ever "screened" the goalie. They do a fine job. It'd look better if the Sharks could get point shots on net. Too many get blocked or go wide.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
You need to stop listening to Drew Remenda and Ryane Clowe hardly ever "screened" the goalie. They do a fine job. It'd look better if the Sharks could get point shots on net. Too many get blocked or go wide.

I also think Drew is overly simplistic in a lot of his analysis. While not totally mutually exclusive, it's hard to be a puck possession team, a defensively responsible team, and a team that has multiple guys crashing the net and/or screening the goalie all at the same time. Every system has trade-offs.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I also think Drew is overly simplistic in a lot of his analysis. While not totally mutually exclusive, it's hard to be a puck possession team, a defensively responsible team, and a team that has multiple guys crashing the net and/or screening the goalie all at the same time. Every system has trade-offs.

This is actually a really, really good point, and one that rarely gets considered.

Just going to leave this right here:

Capture.png

You know ... the column on the right points to a part of the reason for the 0 goals. Those guys are our plugs, who don't score even when they dominate possession.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

To add....teams can't always play 100 percent from start to finish in every game.

I can't really say what the Sharks could have done, maybe back in the day , Granato could have bowled Scrivens over. :)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

And the Sharks lack shooters on the blue line except for Irwin, who hasn't been hitting the net lately. The Sharks generate their in zone offense off cycle plays and popping shooters in front of the net. If they had better shooters on the blue line then they could go low/high screened point shot type plays but they don't so they make up for it with low cycles.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
The only thing the Sharks didn't do last night that they should have was done something to get Scrivens off his game, like a few snow-showers, or someone "falling" on him, or clipping him.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Well, I guess we kinda know how Rangers fans felt now.

In what way, charlie?

The only thing the Sharks didn't do last night that they should have was done something to get Scrivens off his game, like a few snow-showers, or someone "falling" on him, or clipping him.

That was my immediate reaction after the game, but now that I've had some time to think about it ... with all the ten-bell chances the Oil were giving up, the team was absolutely correct to play like they did rather than risk taking a bad penalty, etc. Those chances weren't just good, they were golden and Scrivens just robbed them.

Near the end of the game they started to muck near the net and got some chances that way that Scrivens still robbed. So I think the Sharks played pretty much exactly as they should have, got a nearly historic offensive output, and were just met by a historic goaltending performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad