Value of: Samuel Morin

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Like who? Pronger scored 117 points in 82 games in his draft year.

You can always find a couple of fans with no connection to reality. But they don't speak for the majority.

There was tons of it after his draft. His size and the fact the Flyers employed Pronger at the time drove the comparisons, and it didn't help that Morin himself gushed about meeting Pronger. But the comparisons were everywhere, from the draft show to media reports to fan buzz on social media. It wasn't just a handful of Flyers fans, it was a pretty widespread thing.

Flyers: Samuel Morin, now 6-7, compared to Chris Pronger, Zdeno Chara ... and Bobby Clarke

Prospect Info: - Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Even the evaluations in the years that past, both here and from the media, can't stop mentioning the Pronger comparisons. There are articles about how Morin is running out of time/opportunities, and they all keep name dropping Pronger.
Flyers' prospect Samuel Morin won't be Chris Pronger, but will bring much-needed nastiness next season | Sam Carchidi
Samuel Morin’s Chance is Closing
https://thehockeywriters.com/samuel-morin-philadelphia-flyers/

Reactions: captainpaxil

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I wonder if Dallas would do a Sam Morin for Julius Honka trade.

Dallas probably would entertain that, especially with Klingberg, Heiskanen and Lindell on their blue line. However, the Flyers wouldn't IMO, for the same reason. They have offensively capable D in Gostisbehere, Provorov and Sanheim. Plus have Myers, York, etc. in the system.

Look, as a Flyers fan, I am not sold on Morin. He's slow, injury-prone, and I think he's not nearly effective in today's game, which is built on speed and puck transition. However, I would take a chance on him becoming a 3rd pairing, physical, defensive crease clearer over a small, third-tier offensive D like Honka.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I was guilty of the pronger possibilities myself. Very good wingspan nasty streak and at the time he was learning under the man himself. Chara was another one because hes tall and bigger guys arw known to take a little while to grow into themselves.

Despite injury setbacks i still feel morin is an nhl player with top 4 upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00