Samsung Note 7 Defects (FULL recall; banned from ALL flights in the US)

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Samsung rushed a phone that was going to be the best on the market no matter when in August or September they released it. I wish they took their time with it when they knew the Iphone 7 was going to be a joke anyways. But reckless and immoral? Give it a rest.

Rushing a phone to market without proper testing? Issuing replacement devices without understanding the problem?

Yes, it's reckless and immoral. At least.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

EDIT: this may be the cause from the first recall.

So one theory is this, the other is the processor was overloading the battery because of the quick charge, enlarging the anodes to make it a ticking time bomb since these were exploding off chargers as well.

The thing is, why haven't their other curve screen phones had the same results then? I get it, they were reckless etc, but even then, I'm not loyal to a brand I just go with the company that makes the phone that suits my needs. Google Pixel is priced like they have been making fantastic phones under their name for years, no bueno for me and the lack of expandable memory is a non-starter for me which is why I won't ever touch an Apple phone (had the 4s and 6s, garbage).

I am curious about the S7 Edge, but now I want to know if that will have the same problems, eventually.

And I am laughing at the tainted and tarnished image stuff. Samsung will get hit with lawsuits for sure, but it won't bring down a company, they'll just focus on what works and make that better.

I just hope that it isn't the end of the Note line.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The thing is, why haven't their other curve screen phones had the same results then? I get it, they were reckless etc, but even then, I'm not loyal to a brand I just go with the company that makes the phone that suits my needs. Google Pixel is priced like they have been making fantastic phones under their name for years, no bueno for me and the lack of expandable memory is a non-starter for me which is why I won't ever touch an Apple phone (had the 4s and 6s, garbage).

I am curious about the S7 Edge, but now I want to know if that will have the same problems, eventually.

And I am laughing at the tainted and tarnished image stuff. Samsung will get hit with lawsuits for sure, but it won't bring down a company, they'll just focus on what works and make that better.

I don't think that anyone thinks Samsung will go away, but they have a ton of bad PR to dig out of. To most casual phone users, Samsung are the phones that "blow up". Especially after news of the lawsuits come pouring in.

It's the same idea as Wells Fargo right now. It'll certainly still be around for a long time, but their image is awful to much of the public right now.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The Note line of phones isn't going away. It's a very popular Samsung flagship phone. It may be rebranded under a different name but they will be making more large (5.7") phones with styluses in the future

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Might look to a different manufacturer for my next Droid phone. Nothing will make me switch to Apple. I'd rather go back to flip phones.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Samsung rushed a phone that was going to be the best on the market no matter when in August or September they released it. I wish they took their time with it when they knew the Iphone 7 was going to be a joke anyways. But reckless and immoral? Give it a rest.

They were absolutely reckless.

The tweet doesn't confirm it, and those were the ATL batteries, they moved away from those in the recalled versions. It's very possible they crammed the battery in there to cause it whereas they know what they're dealing with with the Edge devices.

I wouldn't be surprised if the theory about the chip pushing too much towards the battery to charge it quicker is legit, causing the anodes to enlarge and essentially make it a ticking time bomb.

The Note line will probably be rebranded.

Jori

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They were absolutely reckless.

The tweet doesn't confirm it, and those were the ATL batteries, they moved away from those in the recalled versions. It's very possible they crammed the battery in there to cause it whereas they know what they're dealing with with the Edge devices.

I wouldn't be surprised if the theory about the chip pushing too much towards the battery to charge it quicker is legit, causing the anodes to enlarge and essentially make it a ticking time bomb.

The Note line will probably be rebranded.

Yeah, I mean, I think rushing a product to market and then rushing a fix to market without actually knowing what the problem was probably satisfies reckless behavior. If it was just rushing the product to market and then taking their time with the fix (and messing up), that probably wouldn't. But you had two rush jobs. I am shocked that they rushed the fix out and it seemed quite fishy in how quick it all came together in the first place.

The entire thing is just essentially a guide on how not to do a recall. Instead of taking their time and getting a fix out (along with properly working with the regulatory authorities), they rushed to get their "fix" onto the market and seemingly ****ed up even more.

This should (and likely will) cost them the trust of consumers. Combining this with the problems that they are having with their washing machines and fridges, it's just not a good look for them. As of today, the only Samsung-branded product I would buy are their TVs. Perhaps even that will change (and, frankly, I've been enamored with Sony on that end more than Samsung lately).

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Samsung will abandon the "Note" brand.

They'll keep the "Galaxy" branding, but "Note" is dead. They're going to rebrand it. Wouldn't be surprised if they just go with "Pro".

If the S8 has this issue... well, RIP Galaxy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Samsung will abandon the "Note" brand.

They'll keep the "Galaxy" branding, but "Note" is dead. They're going to rebrand it. Wouldn't be surprised if they just go with "Pro".

If the S8 has this issue... well, RIP Galaxy.

Gotta think they go with mostly new internals in an S8. Perhaps they figure it out during the design process.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Whatever they did with the S7 worked, clearly. No need to mess with anything that overloads the battery too much. Fast charging is nice but I'd rather have a battery that lasts me over a day and I can charge overnight if need be than have super fast charging that degrades the battery quicker and could lead it to explode if it's too overloaded.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Whatever they did with the S7 worked, clearly. No need to mess with anything that overloads the battery too much. Fast charging is nice but I'd rather have a battery that lasts me over a day and I can charge overnight if need be than have super fast charging that degrades the battery quicker and could lead it to explode if it's too overloaded.
We need new battery technology instead of always trying to charge batteries faster because they die too quickly.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
We need new battery technology instead of always trying to charge batteries faster because they die too quickly.

I'd blame it much more on the operating systems than battery technology.

My 3 year old Blackberry z30 battery lasts far longer than my wife's brand new (3rd one already) Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge despite my using it either as much or more than she uses hers.

It's not that the 3 year old battery is better, but the OS is far more optimized. Can't even blame apps and their usage since the majority of apps I use daily are Android apps from Google Play.

How about Apple and Android cut down all of the bloat?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I'd blame it much more on the operating systems than battery technology.

My 3 year old Blackberry z30 battery lasts far longer than my wife's brand new (3rd one already) Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge despite my using it either as much or more than she uses hers.

It's not that the 3 year old battery is better, but the OS is far more optimized. Can't even blame apps and their usage since the majority of apps I use daily are Android apps from Google Play.

How about Apple and Android cut down all of the bloat?
I have no idea how you can compare old tech with new tech and say that the OSs are to blame.Something like Quad HD screens will kill your battery no matter what you're using.

Jori

Apparently Amazon may be refunding customers who bought accessories outside the 30-day return period for Note 7s (like myself). I had purchased a case and wireless charger for the Note 7. The charger I gave to my dad who exchanged his Note for a S7 Edge. I emailed Amazon about the case. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/12/13262538/samsung-galaxy-note-7-amazon-accessory-refunds

Just to update, Amazon is letting me return the case I ordered for a full refund.

Good guy Amazon :nod:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There was a fake news article about Jason Pierre Paul (an NFL star that lost 3 fingers in an accident a year or so back) losing his other hand to a note 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad