Samsung Note 7 Defects (FULL recall; banned from ALL flights in the US)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13215728/samsung-galaxy-note-7-third-fire-smoke-inhalation

This is serious enough for its own thread at this point.

The most disturbing part of this is that Klering’s phone caught fire on Tuesday and Samsung knew about it and didn’t say anything. And actually, it gets worse than that.

Samsung asked Klering if they could take possession of the phone and he said no, though the company did pay to have it x-rayed — but the damning evidence comes in the form of a text message that Klering inadvertently received from a Samsung representative:

First, Samsung didn't warn folks after it already knew of another replacement Note device catching fire. That's bad enough as it is.

Next, however, is someone from Samsung somehow sent the owner a text by accident stating:

Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it

This is pretty crazy. Slow down someone for alerting the public of your dangerous device!?!?

Samsung was aware that its replacement phones were catching fire five days ago. Another caught fire on Thursday (on an airplane), and then another on Friday in the hands of a thirteen-year old girl. That’s three in less than a week, with Samsung giving its customers little more than meaningless platitudes about "[taking] every report seriously" and that "customer safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter."

Except that’s a lie. If customer safety was really the highest priority, we would have seen statements from Samsung telling customers to stop using even their replacement phones after the fire on the Southwest flight on Thursday.

Damn.

They text message from Samsung is incredible.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
No word on what Samsung Canada is doing yet.

I finally get a UPS tracking # on Friday for my replacement Note 7 and then this **** happens. LOL.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
No word on what Samsung Canada is doing yet.

I finally get a UPS tracking # on Friday for my replacement Note 7 and then this **** happens. LOL.

Rogers has stopped selling Note 7s. This is a full recall. Carriers won't be selling anymore and the company won't be selling them anymore and has completely stopped production while they do an investigation.

Methinks this may lead to an early release for the Galaxy S8.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
And unless there's some serious price reduction, I won't expect it to sell well.

This whole situation is really nothing but good news for Apple (who'll see a boost in some who switch to an iPhone) or Google (who'll see their phone sales go up and they'll have more control of Android and cut into the market).

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Rogers has stopped selling Note 7s. This is a full recall. Carriers won't be selling anymore and the company won't be selling them anymore and has completely stopped production while they do an investigation.

Methinks this may lead to an early release for the Galaxy S8.
Would be ironic since an early release caused the Note 7 to not get tested properly..

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
This whole situation is really nothing but good news for Apple (who'll see a boost in some who switch to an iPhone) or Google (who'll see their phone sales go up and they'll have more control of Android and cut into the market).

I was planning on getting a Note 7 in a couple months (before this mess). Now I'm trying to decide if I should get an iPhone7 or wait for the 8. Definitely bad news for Samsung.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think Samsung is done as a high competitor in the mobile business. As a matter fact this is going to hurt their business all around big time.

Nah, whose the other major alternative to Apple if Samsung is no longer a major comptetitor in the high end mobile industry? Apple has hit their peak and has begun to decline, they're not going to all of a sudden resurge because of this.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Nah, whose the other major alternative to Apple if Samsung is no longer a major comptetitor in the high end mobile industry? Apple has hit their peak and has begun to decline, they're not going to all of a sudden resurge because of this.

There are many other competitors in the Android industry that can capitalize on this. Google is coming out with Pixel, and I could only imagine others like HTC, Motorola, and LG taking advantage of this.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Deflect and swerve. Not sure how anyone could defend Samsung, here.

Cognitive dissonance. It's easier for some than accepting the reality that Samsung has acted in a manner well beyond reproach.

For me personally, I will not consider a Samsung phone from this point forward. I hope that this does significant damage to their market share, and someone like HTC reaps the benefits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->