Samsung Note 7 Defects (FULL recall; banned from ALL flights in the US)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Cognitive dissonance. It's easier for some than accepting the reality that Samsung has acted in a manner well beyond reproach.

For me personally, I will not consider a Samsung phone from this point forward. I hope that this does significant damage to their market share, and someone like HTC reaps the benefits.

This certainly isn't bad news for Apple, but I would think HTC, LG, and Google will benefit the most.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rogers has stopped selling Note 7s. This is a full recall. Carriers won't be selling anymore and the company won't be selling them anymore and has completely stopped production while they do an investigation.

Methinks this may lead to an early release for the Galaxy S8.

Would be a disaster in the press if they rushed the S8, though. The narrative now is that they rushed the Note 7. Backlash for rushing the S8 would be pretty awful.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
CNN Money says that Samsung is taking a $10 Billion bath with this mess. Not enough to put them out, but ouch.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
This will set them back and drop them down in the mobile competition, there is no doubt about that. If I were them I would not rush anything and just take the hit. They're already in deep waters, there's no need to rush the Note 8, just regroup and plan the next move.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Cognitive dissonance. It's easier for some than accepting the reality that Samsung has acted in a manner well beyond reproach.

Or rather making fun at the "non american competitors are crooked" posters.
Frankly, anything defending Apple is just as laughable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm sad to hear the news, I powered mine down and I am using an older phone for now, Rogers said they can't refund my phone yet, more details to come with the recall/exchange. I checked out the S7 Edge, probably the one I will end up getting.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Give it up Samsung...your ship has sunk.

Right, a company that makes other successful phones, tvs, appliances, and other products are sunk. The Note 5 is still a fantastic phone, the Note 7 was rushed and it was still the best phone on the market if it didn't have those issues. I still wish I could keep using my Note 7.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Right, a company that makes other successful phones, tvs, appliances, and other products are sunk. The Note 5 is still a fantastic phone, the Note 7 was rushed and it was still the best phone on the market if it didn't have those issues. I still wish I could keep using my Note 7.

Um yea..but exploding phone..kinda a big issue.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

Even if they make other products, their name is tainted and will surely take some time to recover, at least in the mobile world that is.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
There are many other competitors in the Android industry that can capitalize on this. Google is coming out with Pixel, and I could only imagine others like HTC, Motorola, and LG taking advantage of this.

There are many other competitors but no other company poised to make Samsung unviable. When a company loses market share, it's because they become complacent, and are no longer industry leaders. Samsung still is. The Pixel is squarely in the high end market but it takes a while to gain significant market share let alone sink Samsung's mobile business,

Even if they make other products, their name is tainted and will surely take some time to recover, at least in the mobile world that is.

Consumers have ridiculously short memories. No one will remember this next year.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
There are many other competitors but no other company poised to make Samsung unviable. When a company loses market share, it's because they become complacent, and are no longer industry leaders. Samsung still is. The Pixel is squarely in the high end market but it takes a while to gain significant market share let alone sink Samsung's mobile business,

Consumers have ridiculously short memories. No one will remember this next year.

Tell that to Chipotle .

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This will set them back and drop them down in the mobile competition, there is no doubt about that. If I were them I would not rush anything and just take the hit. They're already in deep waters, there's no need to rush the Note 8, just regroup and plan the next move.

There will be no Note 8.

Samsung makes too many other great products for me to care about this. They'll take a huge hit and that's punishment enough. I'd still get an Edge 7 if I was in the market, but I get my phone from my company. I'd likely end up with a Samsung TV if I was in the market as well.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Some sources are reportedly saying that it's not any actual battery itself, but the processor was overloading them to charge too quickly.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
This certainly isn't bad news for Apple, but I would think HTC, LG, and Google will benefit the most.

I can see Apple, Google and Chinese phone manufacturers benefiting, but not sure about anyone else. Are HTC and LG even still relevant in the smartphone market? Seems most people I see either have an Iphone or a Samsung phone these days.

Samsung will definitely take a big hit in the short term, but if they comeback and release a great phone next year, I think they'll be fine in the long term. If they release an underwhelming product or another phone with issues like now, then that will be a major problem. This is the first time that Samsung has released a Galaxy phone with issues right? I don't know what the big deal is unless it happens again and starts becoming a pattern. A one time mistake shouldn't sink them forever.

Tell that to Chipotle .

If GM can make a comeback from knowing their cars could kill people and have 124 people die related to those defects and pay out 900 million in penalties and they're still around, then almost anyone can make a comeback.

Reasons why Samsung can EASILY make a comeback:

- as other people have said, people these days have memories of a goldfish
- if the next Samsung phone is great a product, people will quickly put aside any reservations they have and buy it
- this is the first time Samsung smartphones have had a major issue like this so most people are probably forgiving. If it happens again though, then its going to be a serious problem.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

EDIT: this may be the cause from the first recall.

So one theory is this, the other is the processor was overloading the battery because of the quick charge, enlarging the anodes to make it a ticking time bomb since these were exploding off chargers as well.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
nintchdbpict000273958050.jpg

nintchdbpict000273958048.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-funny-reactions-13-57d92f4c746f9__700.jpg

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Some sources are reportedly saying that it's not any actual battery itself, but the processor was overloading them to charge too quickly.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/1...why-the-note-7-keeps-catching-fire-nyt-claims

This is pretty huge. So Samsung didn't let testers communicate over fears of litigation. That ended up producing an environment where there was seemingly less conversation about phone problems in a rush to beat Apple to market. Talk about an environment ripe for product design issues.

Samsung is in deep ****. They also had no clue what it is and blamed the batteries to fast track the return to market. US regulators need to take them to task over that.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Samsung Canada is also recalling all Note 7s even replacements.

I'll probably get Pixel XL 128gb now (when it is available in Canada) but its price is ridiculous. IMO, it's an inferior phone to the Note 7 but will end up costing me $130 more.

Jori

I'm sad to hear the news, I powered mine down and I am using an older phone for now, Rogers said they can't refund my phone yet, more details to come with the recall/exchange. I checked out the S7 Edge, probably the one I will end up getting.

Yeah, I'm using my Nexus 6p again. I returned the Note 7 to T-Mobile on Monday night for a refund. I'm thinking of going with the Pixel XL and will wait for reviews as I cannot currently order the configuration that I want (128 GB, blk).

My dad, who also had a Note 7, opted to go with the S7 Edge.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Samsung rushed a phone that was going to be the best on the market no matter when in August or September they released it. I wish they took their time with it when they knew the Iphone 7 was going to be a joke anyways. But reckless and immoral? Give it a rest.

You basically defined reckless within your own post. Rushing a phone to market. Sounds pretty reckless to me and has now been proven correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad