Player Discussion Samson 65 over/under

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
65pts not 69 but still quite good!
As many have pointed out that bridge deal and not having enough cap space to sign him long term was a bad move from Botterill which will cost us a few $ in cap down the road.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
60+ more like 62 considering he gets hopped around from 3rd and 1st line every few weeks.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reinhart has historically been a second half point producer.

The fact that he has 25 pts in his first 30 games this season has me believing that it will be a disappointment if he doesn't get 41 pts in the final 52 games of the season.

Reactions: kundahlini

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sam was just retro-credited with an assist tonight. I believe that makes 26 in 31...16 in his last 15...12 in his last 10...

He’s going for 80 this year :yo::handclap:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Up to 32 points in 34 games.

I really wish I knew what his negotiations with Botteril looked like over the summer. I had a feeling a bridge was in Sam's best interest, and right now he's looking poised to cash in big time in two offseasons.

Would he have signed long term for between $5 million and $6 million per season?

Buffalo doesn't have any real "bargain" contracts at the moment. Would've been nice to have one in Sam.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He’s good right now, if he brings a bit more tenacity and plays with a bit more of an edge he will be great.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He’s good right now, if he brings a bit more tenacity and plays with a bit more of an edge he will be great.

Everyone has a definition of what great is I guess...

I think he’s pretty damn tenacious now.

If he stays in the neighborhood of what he is now, while tightening up his defensive side of the puck ... i’ll be quite pleased. The team doesn’t need him to be “Risto or Bogo” physical or edgy. I’ve liked for years the way he’s developing :dunno:

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Loving this big step forward for Jack and Sam, it's going to be so crucial to the overall success of the team. At this rate, both players will blow past their career best numbers in January.

The Scheifele trajectory often laid out by @Jame continues to look accurate in terms of production.

Scheifele finished his 22-23 age season with 61 points in 71 games (.86 ppg). Samson is currently at 32 in 34 (.94 ppg). He may finish with numbers better than Scheifele's at the same age.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I will admit that I didn't want a long term contract for Reinhart and wanted him to prove can he produce consistently. I think we're gonna regret that because if he's a 70-75 point forward the next 2 years it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to keep him.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I will admit that I didn't want a long term contract for Reinhart and wanted him to prove can he produce consistently. I think we're gonna regret that because if he's a 70-75 point forward the next 2 years it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to keep him.
I'll regret nothing. If he plays his way into a big contract so be it, that's exactly what he was supposed to do.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Up to 32 points in 34 games.

I really wish I knew what his negotiations with Botteril looked like over the summer. I had a feeling a bridge was in Sam's best interest, and right now he's looking poised to cash in big time in two offseasons.

Would he have signed long term for between $5 million and $6 million per season?

Buffalo doesn't have any real "bargain" contracts at the moment. Would've been nice to have one in Sam.
Botteril didn't buy anyone out and took to much cap back in the ROR/Sheary trade so baring a trade the long term option wasnt an option cap wise.
That gamble went the wrong way for the team cap wise it seems for now.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'll regret nothing. If he plays his way into a big contract so be it, that's exactly what he was supposed to do.
Agreed. Every contact doesn't have to be a steal. Paying a guy what he earns shouldn't be viewed as a loss (unless it means paying obscene amounts of money until the player is 34 years old)

Reactions: Reddawg

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Agreed. Every contact doesn't have to be a steal. Paying a guy what he earns shouldn't be viewed as a loss (unless it means paying obscene amounts of money until the player is 34 years old)

It should be seen as good that the team pays top dollar to every great player on the team?

Every contract doesn’t have to be a steal, but at this rate, which deal will be?

Skinner is going to get paid huge. Dahlin is going to get a Jack level deal. Jack himself is paid top dollar. If we plan on being Risto back he is going to get a mint. Sam was one of the last core guys you had a good shot at getting locked up on a long term discount deal. And now, if he goes 70+ this year and next, you could seriously be looking at a 8-9 million a year deal.

I’m all for paying our good players, but in a cap world, this no regret talk will feel less powerful when we chip away at a contending team, because there’s not enough money for Pilut or Thompson when they blow up, or Reinhart gets traded for pieces when his deal is up.

Teams that last get some buy in with good deals. Tampa and Nashville now, Chicago in the past.

It’s not the end of the world, but it could be the difference between having that 8th nhl level defender or top 9 quality 13th forward in the playoffs.

The toughest part for this bridge to me, was the La Cosa Nostra magic trick theory, that it was probable enough that Reinhart could stay on an improving team and play with a guy like Eichel who we all expected to improve Reinhart’s totals just by staying healthy all year, and somehow not have Reinhart be worth more by the year, even if he stayed the same quality of player.

Enjoy the transition every one, we depart from the land of just wanting to identify and keep good players and now we take the cruise ship called keeping as many great players as possible to luck our way into the circumstances required to win a Cup.

Depending on Berglund’s deal being voided, a long term deal with Reinhart might have left you enough cap space to take a swing at Karlsson this summer. Or a number of other high quality players.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It should be seen as good that the team pays top dollar to every great player on the team?

Every contract doesn’t have to be a steal, but at this rate, which deal will be?

Skinner is going to get paid huge. Dahlin is going to get a Jack level deal. Jack himself is paid top dollar. If we plan on being Risto back he is going to get a mint. Sam was one of the last core guys you had a good shot at getting locked up on a long term discount deal. And now, if he goes 70+ this year and next, you could seriously be looking at a 8-9 million a year deal.

I’m all for paying our good players, but in a cap world, this no regret talk will feel less powerful when we chip away at a contending team, because there’s not enough money for Pilut or Thompson when they blow up, or Reinhart gets traded for pieces when his deal is up.

Teams that last get some buy in with good deals. Tampa and Nashville now, Chicago in the past.

It’s not the end of the world, but it could be the difference between having that 8th nhl level defender or top 9 quality 13th forward in the playoffs.

The toughest part for this bridge to me, was the La Cosa Nostra magic trick theory, that it was probable enough that Reinhart could stay on an improving team and play with a guy like Eichel who we all expected to improve Reinhart’s totals just by staying healthy all year, and somehow not have Reinhart be worth more by the year, even if he stayed the same quality of player.

Enjoy the transition every one, we depart from the land of just wanting to identify and keep good players and now we take the cruise ship called keeping as many great players as possible to luck our way into the circumstances required to win a Cup.

Depending on Berglund’s deal being voided, a long term deal with Reinhart might have left you enough cap space to take a swing at Karlsson this summer. Or a number of other high quality players.

We would be in some serious trouble for future cap issues if Mittelstadt was performing well, or that Thompson was playing at the level of his worth in that transaction he was a part of. Right now, we have to hope upon hope that Nylander, Thompson, and Mittelstadt don't breakout yet at the point we hope they will. Otherwise we're going to be paying some low cap hits for minimal 4th line/role players or banking on the never ending cycle of prospects playing on their ELC's cycling in and out of our roster.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes Sam will score every game. He also is good enough to produce on a 2nd line to balance the scoring. It is shocking our top RW can produce with 2 superstar players. When Sam can produce 70 points on his own Id pay big money.

Jack is the reason Skinner and Reinhart are so good. Period.

Reactions: sabresfan129103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad