Player Discussion Samson 65 over/under

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Id settle for him producing 50 points on a line by himself rather than 65 points playing with Jack.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yes Sam will score every game. He also is good enough to produce on a 2nd line to balance the scoring. It is shocking our top RW can produce with 2 superstar players. When Sam can produce 70 points on his own Id pay big money.

Jack is the reason Skinner and Reinhart are so good. Period.

Them goalposts move mighty quick with you.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The missed wide open goal that Jack gloriously set up is what seperates the stars from the very good players. Sam is a very good player. He is not a star, I have no desire to invest 6 or 7 mil into him if Skinner is kept and unless he can drive his own offense I do not want the Sabres to pay mega bucks for a passenger.

It is nice Sam is on a nice 16 point in 10 game streak while Eichel and Skinner are going beast mode. Let us not forget just a month or so ago Jason Pominville put 13 in 7/ 14 in 9. I want to see how Sam produces when Jack is not on a one man wrecking crew or he is not playing along side a 100 point center or the second leading goal scorer in the NHL. It is nice that Sam is putting up points playing with a superstar and an elite goal scorer.

Before this streak Sam had 16 in 24 and was even. So away from Jack he was scoring at a 54/55 point pace which is nice as a secondary option. But if Sam cannot do it on his own then why should he be paid 6 or 7 mil? Eventually we need to find scoring on lines 2-4. We are literally winning games because of 9 and 53. If we are paying 6 or 7 mil to another winger after giving 8-9 to Skinner that winger either needs to produce at a 6 or 7 mil rate on his own or he has to score at an extremely high rate playing with our 2 highest paid stars. When a player matches his output from nearly the first 3rd of the season (24 games) in a 10 game stretch they have to show more then that to somehow earn 6 or 7 mil. Again, as of now I would offer 5 maybe 5.5 x 8 for Sam. His current rate has not changed me to wanting to lock him on a star contract.

Because this year Sam has shown he cannot center his own line, he has 8 goals nearing the end of the first half of the season and still has not shown he can be a 60-70 point player playing away from Jack. If there are still people wary of paying Skinner who is at a ridiculous 55+ goal pace 8-9 mil, but they are Ok with paying Sam 7? Hell no, he is still an RFA and has to earn that huge contract. The beauty of that 2 year deal it gives Botts another summer and regular season to see what Sam can do. Again, if he produces at 60-65 points on a second line with Mittelstadt then sure, lets give him 6-6.5 per. If he is merely a 55 point player playing away from Jack the entire time then I offer ~5.5 on 8.

Sam still has 2 RFA years left. We are in no rush. We have seen 10 game stretches like this from Sam followed by 10 game 2 or 3 point stretches so I do not see why people can be upset about giving Sam a bridge. He has done nothing to prove Botts wrong in him signing that deal.

By the time Sams deal is up we would have seen him in 164 regular season games and hopefully 2 post seasons. Let us watch him over that whole body of work before we go in a positive or negative reaction towards the GMs moves. I am happy for Sam producing. But anyone who thinks that it is not 95% Jacks success is kidding themselves. Like I said, Poms had an even better little streak 6 weeks ago or did we forget Jack-Skinner-Poms was the #1 line in the league for a 2 week stretch? So if Skinner-Eichel-X already showed to be a superstar line with a 35/36 year old Poms why are we acting like Sam being there and this happening like it is some kind of surprise? Jack leads the league in multi point games and has gone more then a game without a point only twice (and has not had a 3 game pointless streak all season). So again, Sam riding shotgun with a superstar who is scoring virtually 8-9 out of 10 games and putting up points is not something fascinating. Good for Sam and I am glad he is doing well. I want him here a long time. I just am not into paying 3 wingers 6+ per right now. The good thing is if Sam produces like this and we move him in a hockey trade we can get a damn good return. The 4 most important pieces on the team is Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin and Risto. 2 stud top pairing D, a superstar center and elite goal scorer. Spend the 39-40 mil on those 4 and fill accordingly.

Reactions: thomas vanek

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I’d like to see how Skinner does away from mega Uber super elite ultra talented generational Eichel. Watch him earn that next fat bloated over the top contract. Put him with Mitts centering. See if he drops to snails pace pointzzz wise.

I mean, if that’s how we’re going to judge every players worth from now on is how they do away from Mecha-Eichel. Then that stupid idea should extend to any and all that grace Eichel’s presence.

Last edited:

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I’d like to see how Skinner does away from mega Uber super elite ultra talented generational Eichel. Watch him earn that next fat bloated over the top contract. Put him with Mitts centering. See if he drops to snails pace pointzzz wise.
The entire fan-base would riot if this happened. Bad idea.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I wonder if Botterill was hesitant to give Sam a long term deal or if he wanted to but Sam insisted on a bridge to bet on himself.

We'll probably never know but either way the end result is Reino is in line for some big ca$$$h money in two years.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I stopped reading this encyclopedia right here.

You are way off man. Wide open goals are missed all the time by stars, and very good players. It's just part of hockey.

He lives in his own parallel universe. He has to make up a new universe now, because last year it was Reinhart will never score more than 50-55 points, who knows why he is fixated on that number, regardless of development or even Eichel staying healthy and the team improving. Half of this post is what I told him would happen in a summer post that he regurgitated to fit his weird outlook.

But your post is spot on, I mean Jack himself misses the net all the time, most recently duffing a perfect pass by Dahlin. It’s all about creating enough opportunities to cash in, not some mythical ability to score on the best chances every time.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Botterill was hesitant to give Sam a long term deal or if he wanted to but Sam insisted on a bridge to bet on himself.

We'll probably never know but either way the end result is Reino is in line for some big ca$$$h money in two years.

I said it in the summer, but the way the roster was setting up, definitely over the next two years, if I was Reinhart’s agent I would have pushed for a bridge deal all day unless Botts was willing to give over 6 a year long term.

People have this idea that giving Reinhart a big deal this offseason was some gift or undeserved. It’s not about that all, it was a preemptive strike to limit his salary down the road. The negotiation power is firmly in his hands now.

Let’s assume he finishes the year around 65-70. I think it’s safe to assume that the team will improve next year, more money freed up from useless players, clear needs to fill. No reason to think Reinhart won’t be around 70 again.

Nylander just set the going rate at 7 for a 63 point rfa.

I suspect 70+ points in two years, with more ufa years to buy is going to cost closer to 8 million. Well played by Reinhart and his agent.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The missed wide open goal that Jack gloriously set up is what seperates the stars from the very good players. Sam is a very good player. He is not a star, I have no desire to invest 6 or 7 mil into him if Skinner is kept and unless he can drive his own offense I do not want the Sabres to pay mega bucks for a passenger.

It is nice Sam is on a nice 16 point in 10 game streak while Eichel and Skinner are going beast mode. Let us not forget just a month or so ago Jason Pominville put 13 in 7/ 14 in 9. I want to see how Sam produces when Jack is not on a one man wrecking crew or he is not playing along side a 100 point center or the second leading goal scorer in the NHL. It is nice that Sam is putting up points playing with a superstar and an elite goal scorer.

Before this streak Sam had 16 in 24 and was even. So away from Jack he was scoring at a 54/55 point pace which is nice as a secondary option. But if Sam cannot do it on his own then why should he be paid 6 or 7 mil? Eventually we need to find scoring on lines 2-4. We are literally winning games because of 9 and 53. If we are paying 6 or 7 mil to another winger after giving 8-9 to Skinner that winger either needs to produce at a 6 or 7 mil rate on his own or he has to score at an extremely high rate playing with our 2 highest paid stars. When a player matches his output from nearly the first 3rd of the season (24 games) in a 10 game stretch they have to show more then that to somehow earn 6 or 7 mil. Again, as of now I would offer 5 maybe 5.5 x 8 for Sam. His current rate has not changed me to wanting to lock him on a star contract.

Because this year Sam has shown he cannot center his own line, he has 8 goals nearing the end of the first half of the season and still has not shown he can be a 60-70 point player playing away from Jack. If there are still people wary of paying Skinner who is at a ridiculous 55+ goal pace 8-9 mil, but they are Ok with paying Sam 7? Hell no, he is still an RFA and has to earn that huge contract. The beauty of that 2 year deal it gives Botts another summer and regular season to see what Sam can do. Again, if he produces at 60-65 points on a second line with Mittelstadt then sure, lets give him 6-6.5 per. If he is merely a 55 point player playing away from Jack the entire time then I offer ~5.5 on 8.

Sam still has 2 RFA years left. We are in no rush. We have seen 10 game stretches like this from Sam followed by 10 game 2 or 3 point stretches so I do not see why people can be upset about giving Sam a bridge. He has done nothing to prove Botts wrong in him signing that deal.

By the time Sams deal is up we would have seen him in 164 regular season games and hopefully 2 post seasons. Let us watch him over that whole body of work before we go in a positive or negative reaction towards the GMs moves. I am happy for Sam producing. But anyone who thinks that it is not 95% Jacks success is kidding themselves. Like I said, Poms had an even better little streak 6 weeks ago or did we forget Jack-Skinner-Poms was the #1 line in the league for a 2 week stretch? So if Skinner-Eichel-X already showed to be a superstar line with a 35/36 year old Poms why are we acting like Sam being there and this happening like it is some kind of surprise? Jack leads the league in multi point games and has gone more then a game without a point only twice (and has not had a 3 game pointless streak all season). So again, Sam riding shotgun with a superstar who is scoring virtually 8-9 out of 10 games and putting up points is not something fascinating. Good for Sam and I am glad he is doing well. I want him here a long time. I just am not into paying 3 wingers 6+ per right now. The good thing is if Sam produces like this and we move him in a hockey trade we can get a damn good return. The 4 most important pieces on the team is Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin and Risto. 2 stud top pairing D, a superstar center and elite goal scorer. Spend the 39-40 mil on those 4 and fill accordingly.
Ovechkin is just a very good player but certainly not elite.
Just tune in Friday and watch him fan on half of his slap shots.

Pomm. Was removed from the top line because he is just productive for the first 15 games of a new season.

Yes Reinhart is not an elite or franchise talent but certainly a 1st line winger for nearly a year now production wise.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ugh good old Buffalo, let’s find the pessimistic side to everything. Reinharts playing good? ya but he’s doing it with Jack. Skinners scoring on a nightly basis? it’s unsustainable and he wouldn’t produce beside Mittelstadt. Team wins 10 in a row? it’s unsustainable. Let’s just have fun and be positive...things are the best they’ve been in almost a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad