Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Didn't hear that. We have noticed before that Maurice can be stubborn. :laugh: I hope it only happens late in games we are trailing.

Like last season? I hope it's Morrissey we see late more often if trailing. I think he can rush the puck as well as Myers but he moves the puck more effectively than Myers. It's so frustrating to watch Myers and his plodding reads as he starts a zone exit.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think it's just an adjustment Niku needs to get used to at the NHL level, time and space are the most valuable commodities at the NHL level, if you give it to players, you're dead. He needs to understand that and get used to how quickly it needs to be taken away and where to do it, he's not going to do that at the AHL level, he doesn't need to. Part of it is also having the confidence that he can do it, his gap can be much better but he's likely not trusting it because he hasn't seen this level enough. Sometimes it takes a player a little while to know he belongs and can play with the big boys.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My few game eye test this preseason

Pros
- Elite offensive instinct. Niku is always looking offense first. He gets into great position in the offensive zone. He makes smart plays with the puck. His shots are accurate and on net. His passing is top level.
- His defensive game is underrated. He positions himself well in the defensive zone. He gets to the puck first often and take opposing forechecking well. His first pass out generally is on the tape. He can handle pressure

Cons
-On the defensive side he is a riverboat gambler too often. He can look to make a difficult pass instead of making the safe play and this can get him and his team into trouble. Something he is going to have to adjust too is learning when to do this.
- On the offensive side again he can be too aggressive. It could lead to odd man rushes

Overall
- He isn't a speed demon but he isn't slow either. What he is is smooth.
- There is a nice overall calmness to his game. I think it shows his intelligence for the game
- He isn't big but he isn't small either. I think he can handle the "bigger" NHL quite well.
- I don't think he is Erik Karlsson but there is no reason he can't be Erik Karlsson Lite.
- He should get a good look during the season when injuries happen or if the team needs a shakeup

He is just an outstanding 7th round pick. We were very lucky to have him fall that far

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Niku is ready for a sheltered third pairing role so he can polish his defensive game against lesser NHL competition, while given opportunities on PP2. The trouble is. there is no room for him on the roster, as Morrissey, Kulikov and Morrow are still ahead of him on my depth chart, and Morrow himself deserves an opportunity to take another step up in his play. If Myers is played on the left side (a DUMB idea) that makes it even more crowded.
Niku will get his time to shine this year, but injuries and/or trades will be the catalyst. I predict that one of Morrow, Myers, Kulikov or Chiarot will not be on the team by year's end. I hope that Myers and Kuliu are given plenty of playing time to start the year so they look desirable to other teams facing injuries.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Still think you need to play him with Buff and roll with the ups and downs of that for 10-15 games, then send him down (or not if he sticks and learns on the job). It's valuable for him to understand how/where the NHL is different and what he can and can't get away with.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Like last season? I hope it's Morrissey we see late more often if trailing. I think he can rush the puck as well as Myers but he moves the puck more effectively than Myers. It's so frustrating to watch Myers and his plodding reads as he starts a zone exit.

That's another story again. If we must have a Myers-Buff pair, then I hope it is only in limited circumstances.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Still think you need to play him with Buff and roll with the ups and downs of that for 10-15 games, then send him down (or not if he sticks and learns on the job). It's valuable for him to understand how/where the NHL is different and what he can and can't get away with.

Yeah he's not learning anything in the AHL at this point. We are just delaying his development to the NHL.

Reactions: Aggie204

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Niku is ready for a sheltered third pairing role so he can polish his defensive game against lesser NHL competition, while given opportunities on PP2. The trouble is. there is no room for him on the roster, as Morrissey, Kulikov and Morrow are still ahead of him on my depth chart, and Morrow himself deserves an opportunity to take another step up in his play. If Myers is played on the left side (a DUMB idea) that makes it even more crowded.
Niku will get his time to shine this year, but injuries and/or trades will be the catalyst. I predict that one of Morrow, Myers, Kulikov or Chiarot will not be on the team by year's end. I hope that Myers and Kuliu are given plenty of playing time to start the year so they look desirable to other teams facing injuries.

It`s not only that there isn`t room on the roster, we simply do not have a savy, defensive -minded 3rd pairing D to partner with Sami (or any other LHD rookie like him for that matter) to mentor him and shelter him somewhat when he makes mistakes. Although he wouldn`t play on the top four normally, even Buff with all his strengths does not help with mentoring/sheltering. Myers is of little help, and the remaining D (Chiarot/Kulikov/Morrow are all too preoccupied with trying to survive out there themselves to provide any help.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It`s not only that there isn`t room on the roster, we simply do not have a savy, defensive -minded 3rd pairing D to partner with Sami (or any other LHD rookie like him for that matter) to mentor him and shelter him somewhat when he makes mistakes. Although he wouldn`t play on the top four normally, even Buff with all his strengths does not help with mentoring/sheltering. Myers is of little help, and the remaining D (Chiarot/Kulikov/Morrow are all too preoccupied with trying to survive out there themselves to provide any help.

I do think Kulikov could do the job as he dis pretty well with Myers in a sheltered role last year. The issue is he doesn't play on the right side that often.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I do think Kulikov could do the job as he dis pretty well with Myers in a sheltered role last year. The issue is he doesn't play on the right side that often.

That raises another thought.Niku is left handed but I`m pretty sure he played on the RD a fair bit last season. Could he possibly succeed as a RHD with the big club? Don`t think they would consider this at all given we have Trouba/Buff/ Myers pretty well locked in on the right side - but who knows, (especially with Maurice stupidly fixated on having Myers move to our 2nd line LD this pre-season hahaha)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Nothing wrong with sending him back to the Moose until injuries hit. He may not be learning a ton more. But he will be prone to lots of us and downs. As a young guy that means getting benched for mistakes.

His time will come, no need to usher out any of Morrow, Kulikov and Chiarot yet I dont think.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That raises another thought.Niku is left handed but I`m pretty sure he played on the RD a fair bit last season. Could he possibly succeed as a RHD with the big club? Don`t think they would consider this at all given we have Trouba/Buff/ Myers pretty well locked in on the right side - but who knows, (especially with Maurice stupidly fixated on having Myers move to our 2nd line LD this pre-season hahaha)

I had thought about that but they haven't used Niku at RD at all this preseason so I abandoned the idea fairly quickly.

I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But Morrissey was in a different state when we got him. He needed to get his skating back. Remember he bulked up to much before camp? Niku is not in that state. I just watched the last two games he played there is not a single time where his partner is not just as out of position if not more so than him at the worst of times. Yet we fixate on Niku like he needs the help. We focus on the younger guy to get better. Chiarot's breakout and gap conrol ****ing sucks. Why shouldn't he go to the A to get better? Poolmans positioning is atrocious at best, why doesn't he go down to get better? Morrow can't defend behind the net to save a newborn kitten, why shouldn't he go down to get better?

The truth is we think that the younger guy has more to learn so we should suffer in the short term to be rewarded in the long term. But the truth is we can be rewarded now while the young guy learns how to be better than everyone of the terrible 3rd pairing D we have at this level.

I disagree that Niku has nothing left to learn in the A. His D play was less than outstanding for the Moose last year. He can still improve it against AHL forwards.

Chiarot has learned all he will learn in the AHL. He played 169 games there, more than double Niku's total. Chiarot is 27. He is what he is.

That's not to say that Niku isn't better now than some of the depth D men we have. But there is value in keeping that depth. There will be injuries. That's when Niku will get his chance.

Reactions: Oilpeg

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I disagree that Niku has nothing left to learn in the A. His D play was less than outstanding for the Moose last year. He can still improve it against AHL forwards.

Chiarot has learned all he will learn in the AHL. He played 169 games there, more than double Niku's total. Chiarot is 27. He is what he is.

That's not to say that Niku isn't better now than some of the depth D men we have. But there is value in keeping that depth. There will be injuries. That's when Niku will get his chance.
If the Jets are truly interested in icing the best team you don't play worse players than better ones.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I don't know can he? He was widely considered the best defencemen in the AHL last year and watching him play he really wasn't having much issues with anything the AHL threw at him. Mind you I mostly watched later in the season.

Chiarot is a finished product. This is the best we are going to get from him. Poolman should likely start in the AHL this year, he still has something to learn there. Morrow may have a bit more to show but he's 25, it's unlikely he improves by much more at this point. Niku should make this team if we are icing the best players and not catering to contracts.
We have 3 spots for D on the roster open after Troubs, MoJo, Buff, Myers and Kulikov. One on the ice and 2 in the pressbox. Unless of course Vesalainen or Lemieux make the team then we only have room for 1 PB guy.

Poolman should not be on this team over Niku. He is in no way shape or form better. He hasn't proven he's better in the AHL and he hasn't proven he's better in preseason. Niku has him lapped IMO and should be on this team over both Chiarot and Morrow who should both be sitting in the PB.
We really don't have to lose anyone if we just send the worst of the 4 (Poolman) back to the AHL. He's waiver exempt and hasn't proven he NHL ready yet.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I don't know can he? He was widely considered the best defencemen in the AHL last year and watching him play he really wasn't having much issues with anything the AHL threw at him. Mind you I mostly watched later in the season.

Chiarot is a finished product. This is the best we are going to get from him. Poolman should likely start in the AHL this year, he still has something to learn there. Morrow may have a bit more to show but he's 25, it's unlikely he improves by much more at this point. Niku should make this team if we are icing the best players and not catering to contracts.
We have 3 spots for D on the roster open after Troubs, MoJo, Buff, Myers and Kulikov. One on the ice and 2 in the pressbox. Unless of course Vesalainen or Lemieux make the team then we only have room for 1 PB guy.

Poolman should not be on this team over Niku. He is in no way shape or form better. He hasn't proven he's better in the AHL and he hasn't proven he's better in preseason. Niku has him lapped IMO and should be on this team over both Chiarot and Morrow who should both be sitting in the PB.
We really don't have to lose anyone if we just send the worst of the 4 (Poolman) back to the AHL. He's waiver exempt and hasn't proven he NHL ready yet.

It looks to me like Vesalainen will be on the opening night roster.

That means:
* Dano and Petan as the extra forwards
* Morrissey-Trouba, Morrow-Buff are seeming likely as the top 4
* Chiarot and Kulikov competing for the spot with Myers
* Niku and Poolman back with the Moose

I'd suggest Niku is probably the first callup if a lefty gets injured, and might jump over Kulikov or Chiarot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Jets are truly interested in icing the best team you don't play worse players than better ones.

I agree - but it isn't that simple. You don't want to lose good depth if you can avoid it. Injuries make that depth valuable.

If Niku is actually better than our depth D, then by how much? Better offense, worse defense. What is the net difference? Enough to justify losing another player? If he is kept, does he play everyday, or does he spend time in the PB?

I don't think he is clearly better than any of our other D. I'm sure he will be, but I don't think he is yet. His potential stands out. But his ability to help us win more with him than without him does not. Not yet.

I think he needs to be ahead by a clear margin to be kept under the circumstances. I think it is very close though. TC is not over yet. The coaching staff will be evaluating him based on his entire TC, not just his pre-season games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think we might be writing off Morrow a bit too quickly here. He wouldn't be the first dmen with pedigree to bounce around a bit before he finds his game. While it was a short sample size and while it was largely with Buff, he posted some darn good numbers from both a possession and a scoring rate perspective last year for us.

I really have no issue with the team using the first bit of the season to see if he continues his play from last year. If he does the team has found an offensive minded second pairing dmen for a 4th round pick and suddenly our defense doesn't look so bad moving forward. You need to get some steals in trades to help win a cup.

Reactions: ecolad

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Nothing wrong with sending him back to the Moose until injuries hit. He may not be learning a ton more. But he will be prone to lots of us and downs. As a young guy that means getting benched for mistakes.

His time will come, no need to usher out any of Morrow, Kulikov and Chiarot yet I dont think.

Agreed. I like Niku as a player better than a few of our other D. But what I really like more is Niku being available as the 1st callup over say Stanley, or whomever they would call up as a LHD if Niku was already on the team.

I lean towards the long term organizational approach over worrying that Niku is too good for the AHL for possibly half to 3/4 of a season. Come playoffs, we maybe need to use our 8th D. I'd rather that guy be someone like Niku, Chariot, Morrow, or Poolman, over the next level of guy we would have on the Moose.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He won that award more for offense than defense. I saw him in 1 AHL game last year. It probably wasn't one of his better games but he was unimpressive. Even if he is handling most AHL forwards comfortably, he can learn to do it better. He can tighten up his gaps, develop better habits. He can fine tune his positioning. Then there is handling the top AHL forwards. They will be much more like NHL players. Some are very fast. He can improve against them.

I agree, he should make the Jets over Poolman, unless we are talking about a PB spot. I'm not convinced he is currently better than either Chiarot or Morrow. He would be if he could score at a high rate, but those 2 goals the other night are too small a sample to convince me.

If we keep 8 D, then we lose a F. I expect both Poolman and Niku to start in the AHL. Maybe Niku gets to play in Finland. Which one gets called up first is hard to say. I think it should be Niku. PM may prefer Poolman. Maybe he goes down and plays very well. Who knows?

Few players get claimed off waivers from the end of TC cut downs. Maybe Petan is waived. He might slide through at that time. Or maybe a depth F is traded. That could open the way for 8 D.

That still leaves me a little unsure about Niku. Who does he pair with? I don't think he is a natural fit with Buff. That would force him to work on his D play though. :laugh: Myers is an even worse fit but on the 3rd pair they are somewhat sheltered. Then Kuli would play with Buff. I haven't seen any sign that PM is considering that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He won that award more for offense than defense. I saw him in 1 AHL game last year. It probably wasn't one of his better games but he was unimpressive. Even if he is handling most AHL forwards comfortably, he can learn to do it better. He can tighten up his gaps, develop better habits. He can fine tune his positioning. Then there is handling the top AHL forwards. They will be much more like NHL players. Some are very fast. He can improve against them.

I agree, he should make the Jets over Poolman, unless we are talking about a PB spot. I'm not convinced he is currently better than either Chiarot or Morrow. He would be if he could score at a high rate, but those 2 goals the other night are too small a sample to convince me.

If we keep 8 D, then we lose a F. I expect both Poolman and Niku to start in the AHL. Maybe Niku gets to play in Finland. Which one gets called up first is hard to say. I think it should be Niku. PM may prefer Poolman. Maybe he goes down and plays very well. Who knows?

Few players get claimed off waivers from the end of TC cut downs. Maybe Petan is waived. He might slide through at that time. Or maybe a depth F is traded. That could open the way for 8 D.

That still leaves me a little unsure about Niku. Who does he pair with? I don't think he is a natural fit with Buff. That would force him to work on his D play though. :laugh: Myers is an even worse fit but on the 3rd pair they are somewhat sheltered. Then Kuli would play with Buff. I haven't seen any sign that PM is considering that.

It all depends on whether Vesalainen or Lemieux make the opening night roster. If not then Dano likely claims a spot playing alongside Roslovic and Petan sits in the pressbox. Then we can carry 8D, send Poolman down to the AHL for more seasoning and Niku can play on the opening night roster with Chiarot and Poolman sitting in the pressbox. It gives us 3LD (MoJo, Niku and Kuli) and 3RD (Trouba, Buff and Myers) with a LD (Chiarot) and a RD (Morrow) sitting in the PB in case of any injuries. And Poolman is a short callup away.

This is all the more aided by Vesalainen agreeing to go to the Moose rather than Europe. I think spending a year with the Moose playing 1st line minutes and PP1 time is a great way to prepare him to come into the lineup next season. Lemieux and Vesalainen will likely get games with injuries as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad