Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Guy hasn't even broken into league and you got him pking faster then Morrissey who was given that responsibility about a year after he broke in. People need to relax with this guy.
He can't pk.

Why hasn't he broken into the league? That is the whole issue, the whole point of the complaints.

His D was shaky, at best, in very poor usage last year. He was hesitant. That was getting much better by the end of the year.

There was no sign of that in the very limited viewing we have had this year. He looked great.

Any player can PK. It is the simplest job in hockey. It is the job given to players who can't do anything else. Obviously, some do it better than others. The best PK'ers have quickness, like what Niku has.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I didn't watch much last year so I can't comment on whether Niku is going to be a viable long term player for the team or not (and whether or not he deserves it). But it's pretty clear that despite the protestations some have made (oh it's just rehab he'll be back up in the lineup by X), that coaching/management aren't seeing what they want from him, right or wrong. It feels concerning that he can't displace someone on his 3rd team in 2 years who plays roughly 30 NHL games yearly. And if they do feel Niku's development is at that point, it sure doesn't make one feel good about the pipeline of a draft/develop team.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So ..... both Niku and Bitetto are going to play? At the same time? So who gets cut to make room? Are you suggesting that Bitetto will be re-signed for next year too?

I don't think there is any probably about it. Maurice wants his veteran presence back there. The world wonders why? Might be different if that veteran talker was any good.

Do you seriously think that Bitetto being waived is something the Jets should worry about?

Bitetto has been one of the best Jets defenceman by CF% and xG% so far this year. Niku was one of the worst in the league by these metrics last year and has been injured and not played much. I can see not wanting to throw him in against a heavy team like the wild last night and rather having Bitetto.

Bitetto was the 3rd best Jets D by these metrics again last night btw. Heinola, a smooth skating puck mover like Niku, was a pathetic 4 xG% in about 15 mins 5v5. That’s not a typo. Four percent....

Reactions: DannyGallivan

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Some people vastly overestimate how hard it is to PK. Truthfully, the guys usually associated with being a good solid PKer like Stuart, are usually far worse than the faster and more skilled guys.

Reactions: FinJetster

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Niku can't PK? Everybody can PK. Get in a box. Block shooting lanes. Get the puck out if you ever get a chance. Is Bitetto an outstanding PK'er?

OK, I was trying to see stuff from managements point here but yes, how can you put two of the slowest guys out there PK after PK and think thats the way to go. Im talking Bitetto and Test Tube naturally. Everyone else has to hustle their butts off in order to accommodate guys that are way too slow for the game.

As for Niku, Im disappointed but there has to be a reason. They do have lots of rushing, smallish D-men out there right now, so yes I can see the value in keeping some slower stay at home guys like Poolman & Bitetto around, maybe...
I have to think they have Niku rated above some of these guys right now, but we have tons of skill out there so lets keep him handy and playing on the Moose for the time being. If Heinola gets sent back, I definitely see him slotting in. But who knows already

Reactions: FinJetster

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Absolutely ridiculous to send him down. It's becoming more clear by the day that management/coaching has something against him.
Why would management have something against him? I heard a couple whispers last night at the game the organization isn't happy with where his conditioning is at. No idea if this is true but it would fit in that he missed most of camp with a groin injury that likely severely limited his ability to get into and stay in game shape. Dropping him down to the Moose to play a bigger role makes sense under those circumstances.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why would management have something against him? I heard a couple whispers last night at the game the organization isn't happy with where his conditioning is at. No idea if this is true but it would fit in that he missed most of camp with a groin injury that likely severely limited his ability to get into and stay in game shape. Dropping him down to the Moose to play a bigger role makes sense under those circumstances.
Whispers from who?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bitetto has been one of the best Jets defenceman by CF% and xG% so far this year. Niku was one of the worst in the league by these metrics last year and has been injured and not played much. I can see not wanting to throw him in against a heavy team like the wild last night and rather having Bitetto.

Bitetto was the 3rd best Jets D by these metrics again last night btw. Heinola, a smooth skating puck mover like Niku, was a pathetic 4 xG% in about 15 mins 5v5. That’s not a typo. Four percent....

Do you believe those stats actually reflect Bitetto's play? I don't. If you want to use Niku's stats from last year, use Bitetto's from last year too. And both years, keep in mind that small samples can be misleading.

Niku played 2 games in 2 days with the Moose. He is presumably going to play for the Moose again today. If his injury is still an issue - stop ****ing playing him!

Heinola has nothing to do with this.

Reactions: TS Quint

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Whispers from who?
Let's be honest then. Poolman past him on depth charts same with heinola and next year you have the kid at Duluth and Stanley that will be pushing him . I have no idea where he will fit in. Forget bitetto if he was as good as some think he surely should be in over poolman and he isnt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK, I was trying to see stuff from managements point here but yes, how can you put two of the slowest guys out there PK after PK and think thats the way to go. Im talking Bitetto and Test Tube naturally. Everyone else has to hustle their butts off in order to accommodate guys that are way too slow for the game.

As for Niku, Im disappointed but there has to be a reason. They do have lots of rushing, smallish D-men out there right now, so yes I can see the value in keeping some slower stay at home guys like Poolman & Bitetto around, maybe...
I have to think they have Niku rated above some of these guys right now, but we have tons of skill out there so lets keep him handy and playing on the Moose for the time being. If Heinola gets sent back, I definitely see him slotting in. But who knows already

I can see keeping around some more reliable stay-at-home Dman, if it was a good one. But Bitetto is bad. All these people quoting his good CF%, xG%, etc are just demonstrating some of the limitations of those stats. When the stats and the eye-test disagree it is not automatic that the eye-test is the one that is wrong.

If player A is better than player B - play player A.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you believe those stats actually reflect Bitetto's play? I don't. If you want to use Niku's stats from last year, use Bitetto's from last year too. And both years, keep in mind that small samples can be misleading.

Niku played 2 games in 2 days with the Moose. He is presumably going to play for the Moose again today. If his injury is still an issue - stop ****ing playing him!

Heinola has nothing to do with this.
Yesterday I actually looked at Bitetto's possession stats from last season and they weren't bad. He pretty much straddled the .50 CF% line ending the season with an ever so slight positive. This is considerably better than what Niku's numbers were last season.

Reactions: Duke749

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I didn't watch much last year so I can't comment on whether Niku is going to be a viable long term player for the team or not (and whether or not he deserves it). But it's pretty clear that despite the protestations some have made (oh it's just rehab he'll be back up in the lineup by X), that coaching/management aren't seeing what they want from him, right or wrong. It feels concerning that he can't displace someone on his 3rd team in 2 years who plays roughly 30 NHL games yearly. And if they do feel Niku's development is at that point, it sure doesn't make one feel good about the pipeline of a draft/develop team.
The fact that he prefers to journeyman veterans who have never been anything more than marginal NHLers over the young players coming up through the teams own development system has been a complaint about Paul Maurice in every city he’d been to.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Bitetto has been one of our best D, Poolman has been pretty good. I think they like Niku and they want him to play. Thus the move to the Moose. Its the right move. He'll be right back up anyway.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I guess more development time doesn't hurt?
Hope he's back soon

Yes, yes it does. Kills confidence and hes close to getting a career AHLer label. Then when he isn't picked up people will claim "he just wasnt good enough" when in reality he earned a shot that was never given. As many players are ruined by being buried as rushed they just aren't as obvious to see.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The fact that he prefers to journeyman veterans who have never been anything more than marginal NHLers over the young players coming up through the teams own development system has been a complaint about Paul Maurice in every city he’d been to.
That's why the 18 year old vet is playing top 4 minutes.

Reactions: Jets 31

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Bitetto has been one of our best D, Poolman has been pretty good. I think they like Niku and they want him to play. Thus the move to the Moose. Its the right move. He'll be right back up anyway.
I guess if Little is close to being activated, and they don't want to end the "pay Gus like an nhler" experiment yet, Niku might be the one to send down if you don't want to lose a body on waivers. It gives Niku some games too. They do tend to err on the side of patience in situations like these. Either that or Niku didn't come into camp in the shape he was told to.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I think the reason Niku gets sent down is that he has that option available to him.

Morrissey, Pionk, Kulikov can't as well as Bitetto & Poolman without waivers.

Ville the Kid is either with the Jets or Europe where the Jets can't really influence his development.

Beaulieu is out for a month and then there's Buff.

I don't think the Jets want to expose a D to waivers in light of the uncertainty surrounding some of their D.

Over and above whether it is deemed Niku needs to work on the defensive part of his game and might be better served doing that in the AHL.
That I don't know, or whether other factors are at play.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Yesterday I actually looked at Bitetto's possession stats from last season and they weren't bad. He pretty much straddled the .50 CF% line ending the season with an ever so slight positive. This is considerably better than what Niku's numbers were last season.
The only D-partner he spent appreciable time with was Yanncik Weber. Both were highly sheltered, but Weber did far better without Bitetto than he did with him. Bitetto was awful in terms of shot quality as well.

bitetan90

bitetan90

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
So ..... both Niku and Bitetto are going to play? At the same time? So who gets cut to make room? Are you suggesting that Bitetto will be re-signed for next year too?

I don't think there is any probably about it. Maurice wants his veteran presence back there. The world wonders why? Might be different if that veteran talker was any good.

Do you seriously think that Bitetto being waived is something the Jets should worry about?

You took that from my post?

The point was nothing Bitetto does will effect Niku future with this team, and becoming a full time player with Maurice as coach.

And last night, Maurice was right, Bitetto played very well and deserved to be in that game. Its an 82 game season, and if you recall other 82 game season, injuries will occur and most of the D will get their shot in the lineup.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Niku wasn't able to "win" a spot during pre-season because he was injured, and Bitetto "won" the job with his obvious stellar play during said pre-season :rolleyes:. Now Niku's playing catch up during the season, without a chance to play, which tends to be kind of hard.

Funny, based on last night I'd rather see Niku replace Kuli than Taters. He's a disaster on the right side.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Some people vastly overestimate how hard it is to PK. Truthfully, the guys usually associated with being a good solid PKer like Stuart, are usually far worse than the faster and more skilled guys.
That holds true for most checkers or "defensive" forwards. The fact is, the requirements associated with offense is at a higher skill level than the requirements associated with checking those players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad