Same as it ever was ..... CBJ Power Play

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Three plus years of a terrible powerplay. The systems change, the players change, the only thing that stays the same is the coach(s). When is enough? And Porty/Lukan are too scared to actually criticize the coaching staff.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Three plus years of a terrible powerplay. The systems change, the players change, the only thing that stays the same is the coach(s). When is enough? And Porty/Lukan are too scared to actually criticize the coaching staff.

Why is it the media’s job to criticize the coaching staff? Their job is to write about the facts, which they do, the PP sucks. Could they prod a little more about why? Sure, but it’s very unlikely Torts would answer with anything meaningful other than what we already get now. Remember a few years ago when Torts refused to answer questions about the PP? He’d probably do that again.

I think people pinning the lack of accountability of the PP failures on the media not asking the right questions pretty comical. Torts has already told Portzline to stop coaching after some of his questions. This would be no different

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I personally agree with Alison Lukan's article on the PP, which is in the constructive mode but is clearly also a critique.

She can't help but bring this stuff up to Torts to try and plant ideas in his head. His response, I think multiple times now, is an ill-tempered "Stop coaching Alison!". Apparently he really doesn't like getting ideas from reporters.

Torts has already told Portzline to stop coaching after some of his questions. This would be no different

I thought it was just directed at Alison. I suppose they both could be taking some blows for it.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Why is it the media’s job to criticize the coaching staff? Their job is to write about the facts, which they do, the PP sucks. Could they prod a little more about why? Sure, but it’s very unlikely Torts would answer with anything meaningful other than what we already get now. Remember a few years ago when Torts refused to answer questions about the PP? He’d probably do that again.

I think people pinning the lack of accountability of the PP failures on the media not asking the right questions pretty comical. Torts has already told Portzline to stop coaching after some of his questions. This would be no different
If you got that out of my post you should reread and stop assuming.

Reactions: CPTN71

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

I think people pinning the lack of accountability of the PP failures on the media not asking the right questions pretty comical.
Torts has already told Portzline to stop coaching after some of his questions. This would be no different

@CBJWennberg10 not assuming? You got this from my post.

My point was that our reporters always just make excuses as to why nobody should be fired. They also poke fun at the fans like “hey look as how dumb the fans are for complaining about the powerplay sucking.” Porty specifically likes to make it seem like he knows WAY more than the fans, which I hate.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

My point was that our reporters always just make excuses as to why nobody should be fired. They also poke fun at the fans like “hey look as how dumb the fans are for complaining about the powerplay sucking.” Porty specifically likes to make it seem like he knows WAY more than the fans, which I hate.

I think that’s fair criticism. I still didn’t assume anything.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

To be fair - in the majority of cases, he's right. Folks here are the exception, not the rule.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This team added Johnny Gaudreau and yet, they're on pace to have a worse power play than last season, pending this final month of games.

21 teams this season have a power play converting on more than 20% of their chances. The Jackets have had just one season above 20% ('14-'15...21.7%). 14 teams this alone are above that mark.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This team added Johnny Gaudreau and yet, they're on pace to have a worse power play than last season, pending this final month of games.

21 teams this season have a power play converting on more than 20% of their chances. The Jackets have had just one season above 20% ('14-'15...21.7%). 14 teams this alone are above that mark.
Caveat... this is not just for you. General gripe!

Are we digging up these old threads to compare to this year because, well, you know, we have an AHL team on the ice? You know what else sucks since adding Gaudreau? The entire team. We're last. I mean let's look at our save %, short handed goals? I know, I know... how about goal differential? NHL/AHL games played?

I mean enjoy and have at it. Just don't get the point behind some of these.

Reactions: LJ7

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Caveat... this is not just for you. General gripe!

Are we digging up these old threads to compare to this year because, well, you know, we have an AHL team on the ice? You know what else sucks since adding Gaudreau? The entire team. We're last. I mean let's look at our save %, short handed goals? I know, I know... how about goal differential? NHL/AHL games played?

I mean enjoy and have at it. Just don't get the point behind some of these.
CBJ sucks this season - nothing else need be said - close HF Boards down til next year. Lol

I get your point, I tend to agree. This entire season really does boil down to "we suck."
Hopefully the ping-pong balls think we sucked enough, without intentionally tanking, to land the #1 pick.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

That's not quite fair. Werenski only played 13 games, Bean played 14 games, Boqvist and Blankenberg didn't play much either. Laine was injured, similar like Jenner. Bjork played in the first PP Unit, Gavrikov in the second. Marchenko came to the team later. Look at the PP now, even when the team doesn't score a goal, most of the time the play is very good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's not quite fair. Werenski only played 13 games, Bean played 14 games, Boqvist and Blankenberg didn't play much either. Laine was injured, similar like Jenner. Bjork played in the first PP Unit, Gavrikov in the second. Marchenko came to the team later. Look at the PP now, even when the team doesn't score a goal, most of the time the play is very good.

They look better with Marcus Bjork than they do with Werenski. My sense has been that it hasn't looked bad lately, but I'm not watching closely lately.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
They look better with Marcus Bjork than they do with Werenski. My sense has been that it hasn't looked bad lately, but I'm not watching closely lately.
I'm comparing it to the previous power play.
If I'm just comparing the two of them, I think Werenski would have been progressively better. Although for me the ideal defenseman in the first PP Unit is Boqvist.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Hasn't the powerplay % been pretty decent since like january or february? I think the broadcast at least marketed it like that in one of the games on last week. That'd be promising progress with next season on mind.

edit.
20.7% since january 2023
23.3& since february 2023

It's not great but pretty average

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hasn't the powerplay % been pretty decent since like january or february? I think the broadcast at least marketed it like that in one of the games on last week. That'd be promising progress with next season on mind.

edit.
20.7% since january 2023
23.3& since february 2023

It's not great but pretty average
Yeah the Pp is top 10 since January and top 5 since the deadline I believe.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Since the 2000 season (start of the franchise) the Blue Jackets have the lowest cumulative PP %.

This FO group in particular has largely left the architect (Larsen) in place for, what, 7 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad