Same as it ever was ..... CBJ Power Play

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Personally I think it’s incredibly stupid not to have Texier on the top unit. He is our only true puck transporter in the forward ranks.

Who is gonna gain the blue line with possession after we do that drop the puck back deal in that top group — Atkinson? That guy loses it more than he controls it. He’s a trigger man not a transporter/playmaker.

This is the area we are REALLY gonna miss Panarin and his ability to transport and control the puck under pressure. I think Texier is our next best option from what I’ve seen thus far.

That and I can’t believe that leash Wennberg has. Why have him in over Dubois? Does not compute.
Wennberg is a quick puck-mover. He gets it off his stick quickly.....as soon as he see someone getting close to him. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Except for Jenner in for Anderson, I think that's the exact same set up I posted*. I'll give you a 9/10. :laugh:

The appeal seems pretty clear to me. You've got ideal net-mouth kind of guys. Good bumpers. Dangerous shooters in one-time position. Werenski would be dangerous from the half-wall too.

Then I look at what the actual team does, and I don't even know where to begin. For instance the left half wall is precious real estate for a RHS one-timer. That ought to be the wheelhouse for Bemstrom, Atkinson, and Bjorkstrand. Of course there can only be two. And who do the Jackets put in that spot? LHS with weak shots.

* - The argument against Jenner is the same as against Foligno. He's been unproductive on the PP for years. Anderson was more than twice as effective as Jenner on the PP last year.

Haha, maybe I'd seen yours somewhere and it made a subconscious impact ;)

Foligno has at least been given the opportunity. He's been in the top 5 of PPTOI/G for the past two years. Feeling lazy and don't have a ton of time right now, otherwise I'd get the numbers.

Personally I think it’s incredibly stupid not to have Texier on the top unit. He is our only true puck transporter in the forward ranks.

Who is gonna gain the blue line with possession after we do that drop the puck back deal in that top group — Atkinson? That guy loses it more than he controls it. He’s a trigger man not a transporter/playmaker.

This is the area we are REALLY gonna miss Panarin and his ability to transport and control the puck under pressure. I think Texier is our next best option from what I’ve seen thus far.

That and I can’t believe that leash Wennberg has. Why have him in over Dubois? Does not compute.
I understand your point, and without Panarin the team takes a huge blow on transitions. I wouldn't at all be mad about Texier in place of Nyquist on the first unit that I have, but I also believe that between Nyquist (who is pretty good in the transition game himself), Jones, Werenski, and Bemstrom they should be able to get into the zone. And again, having our top FO man on that unit will help start with possession in the zone.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Haha, maybe I'd seen yours somewhere and it made a subconscious impact ;)

Foligno has at least been given the opportunity. He's been in the top 5 of PPTOI/G for the past two years. Feeling lazy and don't have a ton of time right now, otherwise I'd get the numbers.

When I looked it up Jenner had more PP TOI last year than Anderson or Bjorkstrand. He was a mainstay on the second unit PP, and was last out of that group of 5 in terms of output.

Part of that is that our umbrella perimeter tendency tends to neglect the netmouth guys. They're primarily there as screeners, and they rarely get passed the puck. So I wouldn't expect Jenner to score as much. That's also Foligno and Wennberg's excuse, btw.

In any case, in the Tampa series Anderson and Dubois were at the netmouth and they were excellent at screening the goalie. It was a big part of throwing off Vasi. Those are my clear netmouth guys.

According to OP's post, Wennberg is on Shaw's second unit, and it clearly looks like he'd be a netmouth guy. He wouldn't be my #1 pick, I think he's not difficult enough on the defenders. But he's a great screener and I think he's been more effective than Jenner in that role.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
One big problems with the pp is by and large the Jackets suck at passing. Just my opinion.

I don't know that the team sucks at passing, it's just that they don't do it often on the PP because no one really moves. Basically, if they can get set up in the zone (which is a big if), they get into their 1-3-1 spots and kind of just stare at each other. Seth with Panarin and Atkinson last year would mostly just run set plays of passing it around the top of the arc so to speak, which actually contributed to some big goals especially in the playoffs. Other than that, there isn't much movement (though Bemstrom was skating around a lot in the preseason on the PP).

It's almost like the rest of the league figured out the 1-3-1 over 2 seasons ago and the CBJ don't want to adjust.

Reactions: The Bread Man

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I tend to think the Jackets are a below average passing team. That hurts the PP but I don't know if it's one of the biggest problems with it.

If you want to see a great PP, start watching Avs games. Their umbrella is all elite guys - Mackinnon, Makar, and Rantanen - so I'm not sure if their tactics are a repeatable approach. But FWIW, they have a very spread out 1-3-1. The half-wall guys are right on their respective walls. They're so spread out that the PKers have no chance of getting in the shot lanes, so if the goalie can't get over in time it's an empty net for a guy on his one-timer side.

I don't know that the team sucks at passing, it's just that they don't do it often on the PP because no one really moves. Basically, if they can get set up in the zone (which is a big if), they get into their 1-3-1 spots and kind of just stare at each other. Seth with Panarin and Atkinson last year would mostly just run set plays of passing it around the top of the arc so to speak, which actually contributed to some big goals especially in the playoffs. Other than that, there isn't much movement (though Bemstrom was skating around a lot in the preseason on the PP).

It's almost like the rest of the league figured out the 1-3-1 over 2 seasons ago and the CBJ don't want to adjust.

What the league figured out with our PP was that they had to block Foligno's cross-crease pass lane. We were killing it with the Wennberg -> Foligno -> Atkinson play. Some kind of 1-3-1 is the standard for almost every team, because it's more productive.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't seen anyone link to Alison Lukan's argument about the PP. I think it's spot on. This is the stuff she brings up with Torts and he says "quit coaching Alison!".

Movement is on there, as is getting Werenski on the same unit as Jones. So is getting guys on their one-timer sides*.

I always feel like they pass it around fine but when they get it to the intended shooter on the half-wall, he's on his strong side (not one timer side) so he has to pull it back across the body to get into shooting position, by which time there is no shot lane, so he passes it back to the point. It doesn't look dangerous.

** Since this confusion has come up before, the point isn't necessarily to have a literal one-timer. A guy on his one-timer side can stop a pass and shoot it and still get it off faster than a guy on his strong side.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Torontos pp vs our pp..... PP is same shit every year.. Toronto needed 5seconds we need 5period

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Why are there so many thinly veiled shots at Bread in that article? Foligno isn't hot **** on the PP. He has what, 4 PP goals the last two seasons?

I just don't understand the organization's fascination with those who've left the team - from Cam to Fligs to the front office. It's a new season. Move on.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Why are there so many thinly veiled shots at Bread in that article? Foligno isn't hot **** on the PP. He has what, 4 PP goals the last two seasons?

I just don't understand the organization's fascination with those who've left the team - from Cam to Fligs to the front office. It's a new season. Move on.

I think this has a ton to do with the media and what they choose to ask and publish, too.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Probably has a lot to do with how several folks are insisting we're doomed without those guys.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

LOYALTY!

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Using a perceived slight against the organization's leadership and its players as motivation in a competitive sport.

Oh the horror

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Since January 2017 we have the only sub-16% PP in the league.

Amazing work, Larsen.
We are at 13% this season, and it cost us last nights game . Lehner was shaky at best when we got down low on him , yet we were intent with the man advantage of slow passing around the perimeter, and then a low percentage shot from the point . I can’t blame Larsen . Torts is the head coach , knows he doesn’t know a lick about offense or the powerplay , had to bring in a consultant/ retired player last year because the power play was so bad, and he made no adjustments to his staff going into this year

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I said this before and will say it again. Try Milano on the PP. the PP allows space and rewards players with vision and scoring skills. There aren’t four forwards on this team who are better playing with space and with the vision Sonny possesses. Be bold Larsen, Torts...or is it Shaw.

If it doesn’t work, so what? The PP can’t be worse. As it is now, the better scoring opportunities are usually generated by the PKers.

Reactions: majormajor

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I said this before and will say it again. Try Milano on the PP. the PP allows space and rewards players with vision and scoring skills. There aren’t four forwards on this team who are better playing with space and with the vision Sonny possesses. Be bold Larsen, Torts...or is it Shaw.

If it doesn’t work, so what? The PP can’t be worse. As it is now, the better scoring opportunities are usually generated by the PKers.
Texier , and Milano , guys that can create in space, but also great passers , and have Bemstrom in his office .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad