Same as it ever was ..... CBJ Power Play

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
according to a tweet the power plays in practice were. #CBJ power play looks in practice:

Foligno Bemstrom-Anderson-Atkinson Jones

Wennberg Texier-Nyquist-Bjorkstrand Werenski

So Foligno and Wennberg means they are still playing 4x4 with the man advantage.

No PLD? Can't believe he wouldn't be better than those two on either lineup.

Heck I'd rather see two defenders than this line up. Add Murray, Nutivaara, Kukan, Heck even Savard can fling it from the point.

Just can't understand after stagnant PP for two years now they'd stick with the same cast and set up.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So you notice the presence of two guys that you hate, and therefore the power play is "same as it ever was" and they're "sticking with the same cast and setup". Never mind that responsibilities have been changed and moved around, and about a third of the players in there weren't on the team last year or the year before.

Hyperbole much?

Reactions: Madifer and Xoggz22

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
So you notice the presence of two guys that you hate, and therefore the power play is "same as it ever was" and they're "sticking with the same cast and setup". Never mind that responsibilities have been changed and moved around, and about a third of the players in there weren't on the team last year or the year before.

Hyperbole much?
Nope. Just explain how two guys being ineffective for two years deserve PP time? Its time to move on from them and it looks like the same system as the prior two years. One D-man and four forwards. Again how does Captain Nick and Wennberg deserve PP time at all? I sure hope Bem and Tex can make it work.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
PP is about system and outworking the killing unit and less about players though having good players in a certain spot sure helps (Ovechkin). Pretty sure the Wild had a top five PP in their third year in the league, when it was Gaborik and a bunch of scrubs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nope. Just explain how two guys being ineffective for two years deserve PP time?
Complaining about the presence of two disliked players is very different from insisting that nothing has changed. Just because what has changed isn't what you want doesn't mean that nothing has been done.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
PLD is a good net front presence. A disrupter who could be a Thomas Holstrom kinda guy. Can't see why you wouldn't utilize that. Surely this staff is more creative than what we've seen...surely?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I happen to like Foligno - actually like him a lot. Yet I’m surprised and left shaking my head to hear he’s on the top PP unit. The preseason hype on Nyquist was about how good he was at the bumper position, the spot I’m assuming Foligno will play. It didn’t work well last year and I’m left thinking there are better options.

As to Wennberg, I’ll leave it at this. How many teams have their least productive goal scoring on the PP?

Oh, l forgot how prolific our PP has been. :sarcasm:

On a more positive note, it’s nice to see Andy get a shot at PP time.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Complaining about the presence of two disliked players is very different from insisting that nothing has changed. Just because what has changed isn't what you want doesn't mean that nothing has been done.

At no point did the poster say he disliked them...I think it's fair to ask when the PP coach and ineffective players are still involved...I dont remember the PP looking great in the preseason, but admittedly its difficult to watch in florida...

We will see if you can teach an old dog new tricks

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1. Efficiency on the power play
We know the Blue Jackets power play has struggled, but we can single out some key issues within that that are related to shot and goal pacing. Last season, while playing with the man advantage, Columbus ranked 31st in seconds per shot and 27th in minutes per goal. We’ll be watching shot rate and goal scoring rates to see whether the Jackets can generate, and convert, more chances for themselves than they have historically.

Lukan: 10 metrics to watch in evaluating the Blue Jackets

If Shaw (assuming he has full control over the PP) can't at least fix the frequency of shots then he needs to be fired midseason. I'd give him until Thanksgiving at the most.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wait, which Brad is coaching the PP? Are they doing that "let's switch it up for no apparent reason" thing again?
Someone posted a video with Torts in it (looked for it for a bit but no luck) in which Torts said that Shaw was running the PP. Either Torts had a senior moment or I had a little bit pre senior moment in my recollection if Shaw isn't.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'd kinda like to see:
Jenner
Bemstrom - Nyquist - Werenski
Jones

Dubois
Bjorkstrand - Texier - Atkinson
Murray​

I think Jenner could be perfect for the top unit. He's the best faceoff man on the team and I think that special teams is when faceoffs matter the most, plus he's a pain in the ass in front of the net. I remember during his 30 goal season – most of his goals came from in tight. This team could really use some of that scoring touch to come back. Then you've got Bemstrom in the Ovechkin spot, Nyquist the bumper, Werenski for one-timers and he and Jones can create movement on the point. Lack of movement has been an issue IMO.

Second unit, I just think this is the best combo with who's left. I'd like to get Anderson in there, but felt like Bjork needed to be a priority with his shot, and that Dubois is better in front of the net. I like Murray on the point, and think Texier could be a good bumper. Cam is Cam.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'd kinda like to see:
Jenner
Jones

Dubois
Murray​

I think Jenner could be perfect for the top unit. He's the best faceoff man on the team and I think that special teams is when faceoffs matter the most, plus he's a pain in the ass in front of the net. I remember during his 30 goal season – most of his goals came from in tight. This team could really use some of that scoring touch to come back. Then you've got Bemstrom in the Ovechkin spot, Nyquist the bumper, Werenski for one-timers and he and Jones can create movement on the point. Lack of movement has been an issue IMO.

Second unit, I just think this is the best combo with who's left. I'd like to get Anderson in there, but felt like Bjork needed to be a priority with his shot, and that Dubois is better in front of the net. I like Murray on the point, and think Texier could be a good bumper. Cam is Cam.
I like the idea of giving Jenner a prolonged try on the PP with the usage you have suggested. Unit 1 or 2 doesn't matter to me.

I was checking out his 30 goal season and he had 9 PP goals that year. I don't have time of ice stats for year-by-year on him, but it would be interesting to see how much he's been used in each season on the PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I like the idea of giving Jenner a prolonged try on the PP with the usage you have suggested. Unit 1 or 2 doesn't matter to me.

I was checking out his 30 goal season and he had 9 PP goals that year. I don't have time of ice stats for year-by-year on him, but it would be interesting to see how much he's been used in each season on the PP.
Trying to find PPTOI/G for his 30 goal season. He had 1:19 in 17-18 and 1:36 last year – good for 13th and 12th respectively amongst our skaters. Website I'm on only has those two seasons. Will do some digging.

EDIT: He had 2:04 PPTOI/G during his 30 goal season (15-16), which is the second best mark behind his sophomore campaign in 14-15 (2:12). Career high in shots at 225 with a S% of 13% which was also a career high. Has had 18 goals 211 SOG 8.5% (1:08 PPTOI/G) – 13 goals 187 SOG 7.5% (1:19 PPTOI/G) – 16 goals 170 SOG 9.4% (1:36 PPTOI/G) in the three years since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Trying to find PPTOI/G for his 30 goal season. He had 1:19 in 17-18 and 1:36 last year – good for 13th and 12th respectively amongst our skaters. Website I'm on only has those two seasons. Will do some digging.

EDIT: He had 2:04 PPTOI/G during his 30 goal season (15-16), which is the second best mark behind his sophomore campaign in 14-15 (2:12). Career high in shots at 225 with a S% of 13% which was also a career high. Has had 18 goals 211 SOG 8.5% (1:08 PPTOI/G) – 13 goals 187 SOG 7.5% (1:19 PPTOI/G) – 16 goals 170 SOG 9.4% (1:36 PPTOI/G) in the three years since then.

Thanks for the info.

Would seem like a no brainer to give a prolonged try on a PP which has been struggling.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I also agree that atleast trying Jenner seems like a no brainer.

Im in between on Jones and Werenski together just for the fact there are too many shooters. Not exactly a bad thing but not exactly a good thing either and I think it frustrated Panarin and likely would under utilize Bemstrom in the same way. Id almost contemplate moving Dubois to unit 1 over Werenski but put him in the middle and Nyquist out on the boards
Also of note I suppose is with all the shooters you have a guy in Jenner who can cash in close to the net unlike guys we used before. So maybe my previous thought is no good and more quality shooters is actually a pretty brilliant idea

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd kinda like to see:
Jenner
Jones

Dubois
Murray​

Except for Jenner in for Anderson, I think that's the exact same set up I posted*. I'll give you a 9/10. :laugh:

The appeal seems pretty clear to me. You've got ideal net-mouth kind of guys. Good bumpers. Dangerous shooters in one-time position. Werenski would be dangerous from the half-wall too.

Then I look at what the actual team does, and I don't even know where to begin. For instance the left half wall is precious real estate for a RHS one-timer. That ought to be the wheelhouse for Bemstrom, Atkinson, and Bjorkstrand. Of course there can only be two. And who do the Jackets put in that spot? LHS with weak shots.

* - The argument against Jenner is the same as against Foligno. He's been unproductive on the PP for years. Anderson was more than twice as effective as Jenner on the PP last year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
One big problems with the pp is by and large the Jackets suck at passing. Just my opinion.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Personally I think it’s incredibly stupid not to have Texier on the top unit. He is our only true puck transporter in the forward ranks.

Who is gonna gain the blue line with possession after we do that drop the puck back deal in that top group — Atkinson? That guy loses it more than he controls it. He’s a trigger man not a transporter/playmaker.

This is the area we are REALLY gonna miss Panarin and his ability to transport and control the puck under pressure. I think Texier is our next best option from what I’ve seen thus far.

That and I can’t believe that leash Wennberg has. Why have him in over Dubois? Does not compute.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad