Speculation: Sam Reinhart

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Reinhart is a Swiss Army knife. He’s not the flashiest, fastest, biggest or the hardest shot. But he’s just smart and makes smart plays that lead to chances, he’s not someone who looks like a typical star but at the end of the night he’s probably just as effective.

That’s my favorite part about him. Quietly unassuming getting the job done and done well with more and more frequency. He’s developing nicely.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Not signing him to a long deal this past summer was a mistake. If he's going to be a 70-80 pt player he's going to cost a lot, a lot more than he would have cost just 4 months ago. I forget the ask price Reinhart was asking for on a longer deal, I think it was $5.75M, could have done it for $5.5M

No need to trade him, there's no real cap issues on the horizon, the Eichel contract that people have mocked already looks like fair value and will end up looking a very good deal for the team.

He's also Eichel's best friend on the team, both are now making big money yet they are still sharing a house together, Eichel bought the former GM of the Bills waterfront townhome, Dahlin lives in the same complex with Mittelstadt and Thompson as boarders. From what was supposedly a toxic culture they now have a tight knit group developing, winning some games sure helps that process.

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal and WYFR

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not signing him to a long deal this past summer was a mistake. If he's going to be a 70-80 pt player he's going to cost a lot, a lot more than he would have cost just 4 months ago. I forget the ask price Reinhart was asking for on a longer deal, I think it was $5.75M, could have done it for $5.5M

No need to trade him, there's no real cap issues on the horizon, the Eichel contract that people have mocked already looks like fair value and will end up looking a very good deal for the team.

He's also Eichel's best friend on the team, both are now making big money yet they are still sharing a house together, Eichel bought the former GM of the Bills waterfront townhome, Dahlin lives in the same complex with Mittelstadt and Thompson as boarders. From what was supposedly a toxic culture they now have a tight knit group developing, winning some games sure helps that process.

I don’t think it matters, sure he might be another million per year but he also wasn’t ready to be a big money player yet. Give him a couple years to really establish himself, then give him the big money long term deal.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

How do you know he wanted a long term deal?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Reinhart somehow stays at a 75 point pace this and next year and a long term deal is unable to be made then Reinhart is dealt in a hockey trade for a top 4 RHD in their mid 20s. Sam will be 25 when his deal expires with 2 more years of team control. If he scores 140-150 points over these 2 seasons then he will return a kings ransom.

As for right now he is not for sale. He is clicking nicely on the top line. Do I think he is a ppg player no but he can become a 60-65 point guy long term. He needs more consistency though.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
There's no reason to break up one of hockey's top lines by trading Reinhart. Especially now when the Sabres are a one line team, and doing well.

The rest of the players the team needs are either developing on the NHL roster (Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Pilut), in Rochester (Olofsson, Guhle, Borgen, Asplund, Nylander) or in minors (Davidsson, UPL, Samuelsson, Laaksonen).

No reason to move.

Reactions: ZZamboni

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Has 32 points in 34 games.

Not really a sign of inconsistency if you ask me.

Literally half of those points came in the last 10 games and the other half came in the first 24. How is that not going on a super hot streak? He was at a 55 point pace the first 24 games and is playing at over an 120 point pace the last 10 games.

I want to see him score 30-40 points the first half of the season and 30-40 the second half. Not a slight just the truth. Especially since he did this last year.

Last season he had 11 points the first 38 games and 3 of those 11 came in 1 game. So he had 8 points in 37 of the first 38 games. In his last 44 he had 39. Sam has 82 points in his last 116 games. 60 of those 82 came in a 54 game stretch. That means in those other 62 games he has 22 points. That is what I mean when he needs more consistency.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
“speculation”

I had an argument this summer with a fellow Sens fan in which he stated that Hoffman for Reinhart would be a bad trade for us and that he thought last year was about what Reinhart was capable of. I said there was no chance Hoffman returns Reinhart and he easily has 1st line upside. This was before the whole EK ugliness went public but still.... I feel very vindicated :laugh:

Glad to see Samwise doing well.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
“speculation”

I had an argument this summer with a fellow Sens fan in which he stated that Hoffman for Reinhart would be a bad trade for us and that he thought last year was about what Reinhart was capable of. I said there was no chance Hoffman returns Reinhart and he easily has 1st line upside. This was before the whole EK ugliness went public but still.... I feel very vindicated :laugh:

Glad to see Samwise doing well.
The Sabres wouldn't have even entertained Reinhart for Hoffman, like not even in a million years, even before all the legal nonsense.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The Sabres wouldn't have even entertained Reinhart for Hoffman, like not even in a million years, even before all the legal nonsense.

Oh, I know. As I said, that was the main argument I was making. I was hoping for Sam Bennett and a little extra before sh*t hit the fan so I never expected to return anything close to Reinhart.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Depends on return... I think you could plug Girgensons opposite of Eichel Skinner and that line would still dominate.

But as of now I dont see a deal that would motivate me to trade Reinhart

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
What would it take to get Reinhart out of Buffalo? It looks like the light has finally turned on for him, having a strong season on top of his great 2nd half last season.

1st plus top 4 d?

At this point he's completely out of the question. He's been stellar offensively. While he still has some things to work on (back checking), he's a top six player that we have under control for a while longer.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Depends on return... I think you could plug Girgensons opposite of Eichel Skinner and that line would still dominate.

But as of now I dont see a deal that would motivate me to trade Reinhart

This is a terrible idea. Girgensons is what he is, a bottom line energy player good for any every now and then goal. Keep him to where he is. The "Girgensons, is a top 6 talent" has passed three to four years ago.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This is a terrible idea. Girgensons is what he is, a bottom line energy player good for any every now and then goal. Keep him to where he is. The "Girgensons, is a top 6 talent" has passed three to four years ago.

Im not advocating for it... i just think the line would still dominate. Girgensons was used as hyperbole to illustrate my point. I'm happy with Girgs role as is.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Has 32 points in 34 games.

Not really a sign of inconsistency if you ask me.

Said another way: he needs to show he can score without Eichel at some point. A lot of people can put up points playing with Eichel. A lot of guys who don’t cost as much as he’s going to ask for.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Said another way: he needs to show he can score without Eichel at some point. A lot of people can put up points playing with Eichel. A lot of guys who don’t cost as much as he’s going to ask for.

He's already done that on many occasions. FFS, he was producing fine earlier this season carrying around Sobotka and Thompson. Of course he produces more with Eichel (any player would), but he might be the only forward on the team who's clearly demonstrated the ability to produce away from Eichel also.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Said another way: he needs to show he can score without Eichel at some point.

He did this last year... at that time, the anti-reinhart Sabres fans argued about sample size (half season). They patted themselves on the back after the bridge deal, and now that it looks like an idiotic move, they'll move the goal posts to make arguments about it being all Eichel's doing.... Meanwhile, Reinhart continues on the Schiefele development trajectory I laid out a year ago...

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
He makes $3.5 million, is 23 and, since Jan. 15 has been producing like these guys (GP/points):

Draisaitl 70/76
Gaudreau 69/75
Duchene 69/71
Barkov 69/71
Reinhart 73/71
Landeskog 74/71
Stamkos 68/69
Kane 71/69
Tavares 72/68
Seguin 71/68
Barzal 70/68
Benn 71/65
Couture 75/64
Huberdeau 70/63
Laine 69/63
Monahan 64/61
Larkin 73/60
Domi 71/59
Connor 69/57
Johansen 74/57
Horvat 72/56
Drouin 73/54
Konecny 69/50
Ehlers 69/50
Nylander 42/31

How many of those guys could you get for the likes of Troy Stecher and Jake Virtanen?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Literally half of those points came in the last 10 games and the other half came in the first 24. How is that not going on a super hot streak? He was at a 55 point pace the first 24 games and is playing at over an 120 point pace the last 10 games.

I want to see him score 30-40 points the first half of the season and 30-40 the second half. Not a slight just the truth. Especially since he did this last year.

Last season he had 11 points the first 38 games and 3 of those 11 came in 1 game. So he had 8 points in 37 of the first 38 games. In his last 44 he had 39. Sam has 82 points in his last 116 games. 60 of those 82 came in a 54 game stretch. That means in those other 62 games he has 22 points. That is what I mean when he needs more consistency.

Why does it matter how the points are distributed? 70 points is 70 points. Whether it’s 20 points in the first half and 50 in the second or 35 and 35 doesn’t make a lick of a difference to his overall value.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Why does it matter how the points are distributed? 70 points is 70 points. Whether it’s 20 points in the first half and 50 in the second or 35 and 35 doesn’t make a lick of a difference to his overall value.

Jack Eichel has points in 24 of 35 games this year.
Sam Reinhart 21 of 35. Are people talking about Eichel being inconsistent?

JAck Eichel’s points have gone up considerably since he was moved on to Reinhart’s line. Are people talking about Eichel’s numbers being boosted by Reinhart?

Is it really about consistency, is it really about linemates, or is it really about an agenda?

Last edited:

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
I don't know about anyone else, but it seems obvious to me that Skinner-Eichel-anyone can be a very good line. Why not use Reinhart at center on the 2nd line (to see if he really is capable of driving the offense on his own line) thus making Buffalo an even more dangerous team?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

It’s just goalpost moving. Everyone sees it, believe me.

And it’s ok to want Reinhart to get pointzzz without Eichel before throwing him a big long term contract ... but I hear crickets when suggesting we do the same for Skinner. Or anyone for that matter who may be lucky enough to be on Eichel’s line.
If Skinner can produce 40 goals/30 assists with Eichel, but only 25 goals and 20 assists without him ... well then! Hold the phone ... he’s just not worthy of a long term contract more than 6.5 per.

And those points better be evenly distributed through the entire season before we sign either of them to long term deals.
No slumps or bad luck allowed!

Am I doing this right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad