Proposal: Sam Reinhart to van

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
except Toronto had to give up a 1st to unload his salary with just one year left.

Marleau was a 35+ contract, so a trade was their only option to clear any cap space. Buying him out or sending him to the minors wouldn't have cleared any space.

Vancouver can:

Buyout Eriksson (2M savings)
Send Eriksson to the minors (1M in cap savings)
Pay a team to take the contract.

So, while it will be expensive to unload Eriksson, it won't cost as much as Marleau because it isn't the 35+ contract.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Marleau was a 35+ contract, so a trade was their only option to clear any cap space. Buying him out or sending him to the minors wouldn't have cleared any space.

Vancouver can:

Buyout Eriksson (2M savings)
Send Eriksson to the minors (1M in cap savings)
Pay a team to take the contract.

So, while it will be expensive to unload Eriksson, it won't cost as much as Marleau because it isn't the 35+ contract.

So a $4 million cap hit this year and $1 M next year plus pay the actual cash. And you don't think that's close to value as Marleau in a FLAT CAP world. Best of luck. Based on his play this year, Virtanen has negative value at $2.55 million. And the Sabres are getting a first in a draft where nobody knows values. LOL. That's pretty much the price for Reinhart (might be a tad higher) before throwing in Vancouver's dumps.

If Sabres did this deal, Pegulas truly are brain dead.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Assuming the acquiring team thinks they can sign him, Reinhart’s value is probably better than pick 9 or wherever the Canucks sit right now on his own.

Dude is 25 and just finished 10th in the entire league for goals.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Assuming the acquiring team thinks they can sign him, Reinhart’s value is probably better than pick 9 or wherever the Canucks sit right now on his own.

Dude is 25 and just finished 10th in the entire league for goals.

Sure, he’s a good goal scorer of late. I doubt anyone is offering a 7-10 overall pick alone for him in a flat cap world with what he’ll be looking for contract wise, and with him basically requesting a trade.

Despite his success this season he’s been a lower end top 6 winger mostly, and doesn’t contribute a ton physically or defensively.

Lou plus the Canucks 1st doesn’t get it done, but it’s not as outlandish a proposal as a few are making out.

If it facilitates getting the best possible return, I don’t think a one year cap dump worries Buf management.

Reactions: rotiman187

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Sure, he’s a good goal scorer of late. I doubt anyone is offering a 7-10 overall pick alone for him in a flat cap world with what he’ll be looking for contract wise, and with him basically requesting a trade.

Despite his success this season he’s been a lower end top 6 winger mostly, and doesn’t contribute a ton physically or defensively.

Lou plus the Canucks 1st doesn’t get it done, but it’s not as outlandish a proposal as a few are making out.

If it facilitates getting the best possible return, I don’t think a one year cap dump worries Buf management.

Except the bold isn’t true at all.
Only 10 right wingers have more points than Sam since Jan. 1 2018, only 6 have more goals.

That said, I’m just talking value. I doubt many teams are trading a top 10 pick for anyone straight across. Other than Schneider Horvat how often does that ever happen?

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
2 cap dumps doesn’t get Reinhart....
Did you just honestly call JT Miller a cap dump?
The guys been a point per game player for the last two seasons and is better than Reinhart in literally every single facet.

Not to mention he is cheap, and he can play the wing and centre

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Money will have to go back to make this work, but attaching Loui is a pipedream. Not sure what'll happen w/ Virtanen, but for the sake of discussion lets revert to valuing him where he was.

Now the bloom is off Virtanen's rose based on his play this year, but we are still talking about a youngish fast player coming off an 18 goal season the year prior. And been a consistent double digit scorer.

Then to even out money, I'd say Roussel or Holtby. Both overpaid but only a year left on their deal's and they can both atleast play a legitimate role for Buffalo, unlike Loui.

Then add a prospect. Hoglander, Podkolzin are off the table. Rathbone likely is too. Beyond that we are looking at Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovich as likely the next best guys.

Top 10 pick, Virtanen, Holtby/Roussel, prospect.

Perhaps its not a premium, but you do get a top 10 pick, a (lesser) replacement winger, and another prospect that's atleast played in the NHL.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’d be open to trading for Reinhart but Eriksson has to go the other way so we could re-sign Reinhart, Eriksson only has 1 season left so it’s not like it would hurt the Sabres cap for the future. But the Canucks focus should be on fixing the issues with our top 4 D core, our forward top 6 is pretty solid.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
From a Vancouver perspective, i'm not touching that deal. It may or may not be enough incentive for Buffalo, and they may have an offer like that from somewhere...but trading a high 1st round pick for what will be a 26 year old kinda slow, mostly soft, Top-6 filler piece like Reinhart is a very long ways from what Vancouver needs to be doing. Especially when he comes complete with an immediate RFA overpayment boondoggle in the making.

Unloading the last year of the Eriksson deal would be nice, but not at all worth that. I think people are really overstating the weight of that, based on all the years where it was a genuinely horrendous contract to deal with. One year remaining though, where the actual cash outlay is only 2/3rds of the Cap hit? More plausible to find a taker somehow. And if not...ehhh, it's just one more year of $5M dead cap with him buried in the minors. So be it.

That 1st round pick and the ELC value component of it in particular, is critical to the Canucks building anything meaningful and sustainable. Especially with most of the key pieces already in place, already coming off their own ELCs now.

Yeah I'm a little iffy on Reinhart. He did have a great year and he profiles as the kind of player we want - he can be apart of this going forward - but I'm not sure we are adding a 70 point player here.

I laid out where I'd be at, starting with our first, adding money (Virtanen+Roussel, lets say), and a secondary prospect.

But then again having another top prospect coming down the line - like Podkolzin/Hoglander level - in 2-3 years on an ELC would be a massive boost assuming we'll be a playoff team striving to become a contender.

It's not exactly a slam dunk situation, but Reinhart would be a great addition immediately that also jives with our group longer term.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Except the bold isn’t true at all.
Only 10 right wingers have more points than Sam since Jan. 1 2018, only 6 have more goals.

That said, I’m just talking value. I doubt many teams are trading a top 10 pick for anyone straight across. Other than Schneider Horvat how often does that ever happen?

Yeah, I see him 12th, but I did undersell him. It still doesn’t change my mind on his value.

There’s the possibility a team is willing to offer more than a 7-10 overall pick, but either way, if it means BUF maximizes the return, I doubt 1 year of Louie would be a concern.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Are the Canucks trading anyone good?

I don’t mean that facetiously, I mean if EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Hughes Demko, Hoglander, Podkolzin and even Rathbone are off the table, how do you expect to acquire good players?

Pick nine +/- might be good value for Reinhart, but it’s not what I’d be looking for if I was the Sabres. It’s a huge hole in their lineup and for someone who won’t arrive for three years and may never be as good.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
The Canucks are better off waiting for next summer when he is a UFA.

This will be Hamhuis part 2 IMHO. He wants to be in Van.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Are the Canucks trading anyone good?

I don’t mean that facetiously, I mean if EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Hughes Demko, Hoglander, Podkolzin and even Rathbone are off the table, how do you expect to acquire good players?

Pick nine +/- might be good value for Reinhart, but it’s not what I’d be looking for if I was the Sabres. It’s a huge hole in their lineup and for someone who won’t arrive for three years and may never be as good.

I wouldn’t say Pods is off the table or our 1st in this draft but if we are to move those assets it should be for a top 4 young D men. Rathbone is a young D man with a ton of potential and that’s a bigger hole for us than a top6 winger like Reinhart. EP, Horvat, Miller, Hughes, Demko are worth more than Reinhart so their simply not available here and trading Hoglander in a deal for Reinhart makes zero sense, he’s younger more cost controlled and is a top 6 winger, kinda side stepping there well taking on more cap.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
So the guy is obvs on the way out from buffalo.

Would Vancouver's 1st(top 10) and a cap dump get it done for buffalo

1st, loui Erickson(last year of deal) @6m

Sam Reinhart 5.25m

This trade needs to be evened out more.

Could we throw Dahlin and Cozens in to sweeten the pot?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This will be Hamhuis part 2 IMHO. He wants to be in Van.

well.... this not certain, they just tied the hometown thing to him and assumes he wants to come to Vancouver, like right now the average might not want to come to this team, just look at it, and Reinhart is his draft profile actually put the Calgary Flames as his favorite team growing up. But yea, I already pointed it out that we can just wait one year and make a run at him as a UFA.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
It really is too bad Virtanen has turned the way he he has. Virtanen and the Canucks 1st for Reinhart and a lesser piece than Virtanen might have made sense a year ago.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Sure. Compared to Buffalo they’re in better shape. But they’re still in a rebuild. You can’t possibly look at that roster and think “ Stanley cup contender”

If Buffalo were to try to accommodate his apparent desire to play on the west coast, Vancouver is likely to be the closest to being a contender. Maybe LA.

The Pegulas don't help Buffalo's situation as far as their rebuilding vs. that of Vancouver.

At the end of the day, Buffalo will likely trade him to the highest bidding western team.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I believed the thing about Reinhart wanting to go home until I noticed the article was written by Paul Hamilton. That reporter is full of shit, talks shit about Reinhart and is always clashing with him.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If Reinhart really wanted to force a trade to a Vancouver—he would make it clear that he is only signing his Qualifying Offer if Buffalo doesn’t trade him or if he gets traded anywhere other than the Canucks. It would kill the market for his trade value. Instead of a long term asset he’d be viewed as a one year rental at best.

That’s a very extreme option, but it’s worth identifying what sort of leverage he has at his disposal if he truly is done with the Sabres.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Reinhart really wanted to force a trade to a Vancouver—he would make it clear that he is only signing his Qualifying Offer if Buffalo doesn’t trade him or if he gets traded anywhere other than the Canucks. It would kill the market for his trade value. Instead of a long term asset he’d be viewed as a one year rental at best.

That’s a very extreme option, but it’s worth identifying what sort of leverage he has at his disposal if he truly is done with the Sabres.

If he sits out a year and gives up $6 M to $8 M that is money he will NEVER get back. Dumbest thing ever. He could just play one year and then be a UFA where ever he wanted to be -- and that much richer at the end of his career.

Sam's father Paul is a keen investor, I'm guessing he'd educated his son on stupidity of throwing away money.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If he sits out a year and gives up $6 M to $8 M that is money he will NEVER get back. Dumbest thing ever. He could just play one year and then be a UFA where ever he wanted to be -- and that much richer at the end of his career.

Sam's father Paul is a keen investor, I'm guessing he'd educated his son on stupidity of throwing away money.

I never suggested he sits out the year. I suggested that he might just sign his QO ($5.2mm) no matter what take himself to UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad