Proposal: Sam Reinhart to van

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Its not arbitrary there are plenty of examples of teams moving picks to lose a bad contract. How is it my fault a bunch of dumb people dont understand that the VAN pick and a bad contract isnt that attractive of an offer

You’re post was unclear—it appears to read that you think Van’s 1st will be in the mid teens.

I’m not the only one that interpreted it that way.

You can explain and carry yourself as an adult instead of how you chose to.

Or don’t—you seem to be continuing in the way you left off—but maybe you won’t come off as disrespectful and angsty if you drop the attitude and just discuss the topic.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Its not arbitrary there are plenty of examples of teams moving picks to lose a bad contract. How is it my fault a bunch of dumb people dont understand that the VAN pick and a bad contract isnt that attractive of an offer
Examples please, and don't say Marleau, because he was traded and the Canes knew it was for a buy out - he had already said he would only play for the Sharks or Leafs so the pick was to buy out a $6million dollar cap hit knowing he would never dress for te Canes. So what are some other examples? Marc Staal with his $5.7 cap hit cost the Rangers a 2nd (#51 overall). Stastny and his $6.5 was traded in the off season by Vegas and the cost was a 26 year old AHL dman and a conditional 4th round pick. So I get both Stastny and Staal carry more value than Eriksson, but the difference between a conditional 4th and a lottery pick......

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Love Reinhart, wouldn’t overpay for him given he’ll be UFA. If there is a desire to come home then may as well wait.

If the Canucks really wanted to get him, my top offer would be:

Miller (I love JT Miller and his game. He’s been a stud last 2 seasons)
+Eriksson

2 cap dumps doesn’t get Reinhart....

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah me too. Would let us move miller to be our fulltime 3C and reinhart can play with petey and brock.

Imagine thinking Miller would allow the Canucks to move him to 3C LOL. Dude has a hissy fit when he only gets a secondary assist on a goal. Realistically you move Horvat to 3C since he's been terrible this year. I could see him pairing up well with Hoglander and Pod next year on a grinding but skillful 3rd line.

Nov 1, 2011
Facts. The Canucks didn't make the playoffs this year b/c Elias Pettersson missed more than half the season, and the Canucks didn't adequately replace the likes of Chris Tanev, Tyler Toffoli, and Jacob Markstrom. The core is there, just need to find the necessary supplementary pieces.

Alternative narrative from this Canucks fan:

The Canucks have an exciting young core that, despite having a healthy Pettersson, Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev, were completely outmatched by LV.

The team has lost Toffoli and Tanev without reasonable replacements.

As a result, the Canucks should continue their rebuild as it is still too early to trade future assets to make a run as they are not even close right now.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Reinhart is rental but for a whole year, think of it that way. Reinhart isn't a first on his own. Really? If Vancouver wins lottery, conversation is a lot different. Right now it's 9th overall in a crap shoot of a draft. I'd rather have Vancouver's unprotected pick in 2022.

Yea agreed it would highly depend on where the pick falls. I dont think Buffalo would accept the deal after the 6-7 pick depending on who they really like.

Eriksson is only a 1 year cap dump. His cap hit is like 6m but I believe his actual pay next season is 3m or so.

Vancouver cant take on Reinhart (or anyone for that matter) without shedding cap. Our clown gm somehow has the team pinned to the cap during a massive rebuild.

My proposal is just for fun. If I was really the GM of the Canucks I would take my chances and just wait for Samson to become a free agent.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Alternative narrative from this Canucks fan:

The Canucks have an exciting young core that, despite having a healthy Pettersson, Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev, were completely outmatched by LV.

The team has lost Toffoli and Tanev without reasonable replacements.

As a result, the Canucks should continue their rebuild as it is still too early to trade future assets to make a run as they are not even close right now.

If the Canucks played Thatcher Demko a game or two earlier, I think he would've stolen that series; it's not an ideal way to win, so I mostly agree w/ your statement.

I don't think I suggested trading future assets, so I agree w/ keeping picks & adding prospects via the draft. I feel they should add quality vets if opportunity knocks, such as a team declaring they want to rebuild & willing to trade on the cheap, or reshuffle their roster prior to the expansion draft.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They very well may have missed last year if not for the play in round. I wouldn’t exactly hang my hat on that.

True. But compared to Buffalo, Vancouver looked like a team on the up and up. This year knocked them back a ton but obviously they still have young talent, most importantly, talent that hasn't asked to be traded away.

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
True. But compared to Buffalo, Vancouver looked like a team on the up and up. This year knocked them back a ton but obviously they still have young talent, most importantly, talent that hasn't asked to be traded away.
Sure. Compared to Buffalo they’re in better shape. But they’re still in a rebuild. You can’t possibly look at that roster and think “ Stanley cup contender”

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
2 cap dumps doesn’t get Reinhart....

Miller isn’t a cap dump, he’s a more productive player and arguably the better player for the last several seasons.

Eriksson is, some extent of cap retention would be involved Im sure.

If Reinhart wants out and is disgruntled I don’t think his value will be as high as it would be in a vacuum.

To be clear I don’t think the Canucks should sell the farm for Reinhart. If the rumoured desire to come out west is true, we can address during free agency.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Miller isn’t a cap dump, he’s a more productive player and arguably the better player for the last several seasons.

If Reinhart wants out and is disgruntled I don’t think his value will be as high as it would be in a vacuum.

To be clear I don’t think the Canucks should sell the farm for Reinhart. If the rumoured desire to come out west is true, we can address during free agency.

That poster has been saying Miller is a cap dump for years now. Pretty crazy that he is still doing it still after Miller's PPG season. Just ignore him when it comes to trades.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

if buffalo is trading Zreinhart they would be getting younger players or picks in return

not older players who are older than him and have higher cap hits.

it costs you a 1sr+ just to move Eriksson just for a 7th.

Reinhart is better than Miller. Clearly better.

the offer is an insult.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Not sure why the Canucks want Reinhart other than the fact that he’s good.

The ask value-wise would be similar to what you would ask for Boeser.

The ask content-wise would be for a player of similar value and age, or a package of young players, with at least one of them projecting to be Reinhart level. The Sabres can use players at all positions, style-wise they’d prefer some energy or edge, but value would supersede that.

Miller or Boeser or your 1st are of similar value and would start a conversation.

Hoglander, Podkolzin, Dipietro and next year’s 1st are assets that could anchor a package offer.

The Sabres can take cap back - maybe Roussel, Holtby or Schmidt - but they won’t give it away. Those players are not of interest at their current contracts, but they might take one if the overall package justified the cap hit.

Pretty much anyone on the Sabres roster other than Dahlin and Cozens would be on the table if you are trying to build a package, but remember how much value Reinhart has on his own.

If you can find something that works within those parameters it’s worth a shot. But I suspect other teams are better matches.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I like Sam Reinhart and I agree the Canucks could use a player like him in their top 6, but realistically he is a winger and I have zero interest in trading what could very well be a top 2-3 pick in the draft for the chance to sign Reinhart to long term contract that eats into free agency. At this point the Canucks are better off trying to get Hughes and Petey re-signed and spend next year trashing management for their terrible signings and waiting for Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson's contracts to expire. I understand the Sabres want for more, but the Canucks are in no position to be offering even our #1 so it's a non-starter for me. In 3 years when the Canucks top pair is Hughes and Clarke on his elc they will be happy they kept their pick and didn't trade it +++ for a $7million dollar winger for the Horvat line.
-Says realistically more a winger
-Never watched him all season
PPG at center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad