Player Discussion Sam Reinhart – Part 2: Opportunity Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Jared Spurgeon?
It's the Lady Byng, not Selke--that was a typo. I did a double take, too, since I saw Johnny Hockey ahead of ROR, a triple take when I saw a defenseman on the list, and then I saw Samson. The tweet clarified things a bit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
2b1665e0-38d0-11e6-b2f7-7d18300d7844_Screen-Shot-2016-06-22-at-7-11-44-PM.png

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Larkin with 168 more points is a joke.

It really is. Statistically, they had near identical seasons, and while Larkin started hot then cooled off significantly, Reinhart only got better and better as the season wore on.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It really is. Statistically, they had near identical seasons, and while Larkin started hot then cooled off significantly, Reinhart only got better and better as the season wore on.

Also if you look at "advanced stats" Reinhart easily comes out on top in most categories. But I guess this is what some early season hype does...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Pretty good article written a few weeks ago I happened to stumble across. What a player we honestly have here but we already know.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-e...rts-strong-season-got-lost-in-rookie-shuffle/

While Eichel had the edge in points, Reinhart finished ahead in the possession department, posting a Corsi For percentage of 51.4 percent (the second-best mark among all Sabres forwards) to Eichel’s 47.8 percent. Reinhart also finished with more high-danger scoring chances than Eichel, and a better high-danger scoring chance differential. Reinhart led all Sabres skaters in the latter two categories, and did it in fewer minutes. Reinhart sat just under 17 minutes per game while Eichel averaged over 19.

Take, for example, Leon Draisaitl and Sam Bennett — the two players drafted directly after Reinhart in 2014, when Buffalo selected the Canadian sniper second overall. With a glance at the top four that year, it seems one name doesn’t belong among the rest — Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Leon Draisaitl, Sam Bennett.

Three of the four made headlines regularly throughout 2015-16, and while Reinhart might not have had quite as significant an impact as Ekblad, there’s a fair case to be made that the Sabres star was either equal to or above the other two names. In the case of Bennett, the young Flame simply didn’t produce at the same level as Reinhart, posting 18 goals and 36 points for Calgary.

Draisaitl did top Reinhart in total points with 60, but take away the noise (i.e. secondary assists) and Draisaitl’s numbers drop down to 19 goals and 16 primary assists, or 35 points. Reinhart’s totals clock in at 23 goals and 13 primary assists, or 36 points, which are right on par with the German centreman.

Mr Donald Hangrider*

Dec 20, 2015
How about both Eichel and Reinhart will lead us to the Playoffs and then the Stanley Cup Finals but Grant will win us the Stanley Cup!

I am not a Sabres fan. I am an amateur NHL scout and I remain unbias in my assessments by pledging no allegiance to any team as I do not want that to interfere with my being hired some day. I am however from the WNY area so I do admit to paying a little extra attention to the Sabres.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I know we have that fantastic debate about captains with Eichel vs ROR being the primary debate, but honestly, give me Reinhart as a captain choice. I think the better debate should be Reinhart vs ROR.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I know we have that fantastic debate about captains with Eichel vs ROR being the primary debate, but honestly, give me Reinhart as a captain choice. I think the better debate should be Reinhart vs ROR.

Ultimately I believe it will be ROR because of age, experience, and him being the true leader of this team the last two years. But I think you're right about Reinhart over Eichel. Sam's been a leader everywhere he's played. Captain on Kootany and always had a letter on the team Canada teams as well.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I love that video.

With all of Reinhart's skill and intangibles... he still does a nasty amount of damage around the net. That's the formula of a star.

He's gonna catch a lot of people by surprise. I don't know why he hasn't gotten any hype or attention outside of Buffalo, but a lot of people legit don't realize how good he is. He could be the next Bergeron.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I wish that video showed some of the sick feeds (and not-so-sick feeds that sprung plays and helped maintain possession) that he had last year. My favorite is still the one from behind the net to ROR at the faceoff dot.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wish that video showed some of the sick feeds (and not-so-sick feeds that sprung plays and helped maintain possession) that he had last year. My favorite is still the one from behind the net to ROR at the faceoff dot.

As much as I love that one, I still think Reinhart's behind the back no look pass to Eichel from the benches to spring him for his goal vs Winnipeg is my favorite pass he's made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad