Player Discussion Sam Reinhart – Part 2: Opportunity Knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Continued from Part I. Reinhart will make his AHL debut tonight vs Utica.
Reinhart has been practicing this week on a line with Phil Varone and Johan Larsson. They both play center, but Larsson likely will shift to left wing.
Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy liked the hockey sense Reinhart displayed in September at the prospects tournament in Traverse City, Mich., and he has shown the same keen I.Q. in practice.

"He seems to be the most intelligent player on the ice every time he's out there," Cassidy said.

Said Varone: "He makes plays a lot of us didn't start making unitl we were 21."

Reinhart wears 23 with the Sabres but will have 32 with the Amerks because Jack Nevins has 23.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/hockeyozone/2015/04/16/reinhart-on-wing/25882365/

Last edited by a moderator:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
SO MANY CENTERS.

Larsson, Reinhart, Varone, Grigorenko, Schaller, Kea, Garbowsky, Jacobs, McPherson, Cornel.

Not all of them will play, of course.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hamilton always gets portrayed, or at least tries to portray himself as, "in the room" and having a good vibe as to what the players are saying, thinking.

Am I the only one that thinks he has no freaking clue and the players hate him? :laugh:

I think he does have a decent pulse of the team and does talk with the players. But he has a tendency to do two things that make him look like a knucklehead. 1) Once he gets something in his head he has a hard time letting go even when the facts start to clearly contradict it. 2) He also has a tendency to read into things and see more there than is actually there. Which sometimes feeds into #1.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think he does have a decent pulse of the team and does talk with the players. But he has a tendency to do two things that make him look like a knucklehead. 1) Once he gets something in his head he has a hard time letting go even when the facts start to clearly contradict it. 2) He also has a tendency to read into things and see more there than is actually there. Which sometimes feeds into #1.

Larsson, Reinhart, Eichel, Girgensons, and Grigorenko all need to play center to be effective and absolutely, positively cannot play wing. Accordingly, Girgensons is locked in at #3C and Larsson as #4C and Grigorenko must be traded. :laugh:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Larsson, Reinhart, Eichel, Girgensons, and Grigorenko all need to play center to be effective and absolutely, positively cannot play wing. Accordingly, Girgensons is locked in at #3C and Larsson as #4C and Grigorenko must be traded. :laugh:

I could see Girgensons given a chance on wing and Larsson on the fourth line is probably not a good spot for him getting 8-10 minutes a game. Larsson is better suited for the third line but until he can win faceoffs I would also give him a try on wing and see if it hurts his performance.

Eichel/McDavid 1st line
Reinhart 2nd line
Grigorenko/Larsson 3rd line

seems like what I would think happens next year.

ZeroPT*

2 assists and looking good! not really watching tho because the Sens game is gathering all my attention on the tv but I do keep looking at the laptop and did catch his first helper.

like what I see

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I watched both periods, and for the most part, Sam looks really, really good. He looks bigger and doesn't seem so out of place (at least at this level). He got moved heavily off the puck once, but other than that, he's done a really nice job of protecting it.

He had a couple smart backchecks where he stole the puck in the process, so you can see the two-way game there. His passes have all been smooth and instinctual, and you can tell that he will excel at the NHL level with the right wingers.

It's been as advertised and as you would expect--two-way player with an ability to slow the game down and brilliantly dish the puck. The scorer mindset and instinct isn't there much, but he will rack up A's left and right. Nothing tonight that would dissuade me from thinking he's still on track to be an elite 2C.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
John Wawrow says that there's "internal concerns" about Reinhart's development.

‏@john_wawrow 22m22 minutes ago
@JeremyWGR @MatthewWGR irresponsible to call him a bust. yet, there are internal concerns about Sam's development so far.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
2 assists and looking good! not really watching tho because the Sens game is gathering all my attention on the tv but I do keep looking at the laptop and did catch his first helper.

like what I see

You mean no goals yet? Some top pick he is!

:sarcasm:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

@JeremyWGR @MatthewWGR irresponsible to call him a bust. yet, there are internal concerns about Sam's development so far.

Paul Hamilton said something to that effect earlier today too. Was taking about his skating (ie lack of speed).

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Hm. Wonder what the concerns are? Not enough muscle added during the season?

And thanks to McEichel, now we don't need Reinhart to be a franchise level guy offensively. Just provide enough offense to warrant getting 18-20 minutes a game and play hopefully Selke-level D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad