Confirmed with Link: Sam Girard signs 7-year deal

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This is fantastic. G is already top pairing.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
giphy.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
$5m per is a bit much for him now, but I'm completely okay with this deal. He's locked up long-term and it should prove to at most be market value down the line... but if he solidifies into a #3 or better this will be below market.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I guess they learned their lesson after not locking up Barrie long term while he was still cheap.

It's a good contract but I'm not huge on giving Girard 7 years when the Avs have Makar, Byram, and Timmins coming up.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I guess they learned their lesson after not locking up Barrie long term while he was still cheap.

It's a good contract but I'm not huge on giving Girard 7 years when the Avs have Makar, Byram, and Timmins coming up.

At this AAV I’m totally fine with it. 5mil should be a pretty low amount for hopefully a top pairing dman. I’m hoping between Byram(5-6m), Makar(7-8m), Girard(5m)we could possibly have our top 3 guys contract for a combined 17-20mil.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
From an outsider looking in this is an okay deal for both sides . I think a little over payment now but for length of contract it should work out . He is not a #1 D man , but Makar def is and Byram should work out to be a solid #2 so if your #3 man comes in at 5M it's not terrible .

Reactions: Ryan Pat80

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

There is no "lesson" to be learned. Based on what's been out there, they tried to lock Tyson in long-term, he refused and opted for 2- and 4-year bridge deals that took him to UFA.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
From an outsider looking in this is an okay deal for both sides . I think a little over payment now but for length of contract it should work out . He is not a #1 D man , but Makar def is and Byram should work out to be a solid #2 so if your #3 man comes in at 5M it's not terrible .

That's not how to look at it at all.

There's a good chance Girard is more than a #3D. I would be surprised if he and Makar aren't out top pairing of the future going forward.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What do you guys think fair value is for Girard this season? I was thinking just under 4 would be fair based on what we've seen.
That's about where I would have pegged a one or two-year deal. In his situation though, we do see the short term deals coming in at slightly lower than expected so I think even around the Zadorov number could have gotten one year. Obviously, in those situations the player is looking to cash in way more on a long term deal by betting on himself for a year. So all things considered it's a pretty safe bet for Sakic long term.

There's a good chance Girard is more than a #3D. I would be surprised if he and Makar aren't out top pairing of the future going forward.
I mean I think it's pretty reasonable to look at Girard as the #3 for the future.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

Nope , i see to many flaws in him to be a number one . I'm not saying he can't i'm saying i don't see it , not yet at least . imo

Reactions: CB Joe

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Man, the Avs always do something when I go to the mountains for a few hours :laugh:

I like the deal. It is a bit of a gamble but G has shown continued growth even if the numbers aren’t there yet.

Reactions: Ryan Pat80

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great contract. Way to go Sakic. Low risk/high reward type of contract considering how Girard has done so far.

Today I would say this contract would be about 500K-1M overpaid but it is highly possible that Girard will be worth that amount by the end of his ELC next summer or at least very close to it.

I think his decision to sign that particular contract is a combination of two things:

1. Girard saw how hard it is to produce in the NHL compare to the Q and he might be a bit afraid that he won't produce that much more than he did this year, and
2. Let's not forget that he got his bells rung pretty hard a couple of times already as an Avs. Seeing how Timmins' career was almost over because of one hit might have scared him a little as well.

Combination of these two things might have convinced him to go for the sure money. And he will still be only 29 when it is time to re-sign so he could still cash in at that time.

Reactions: Richard88

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
The point of this deal isn't about whether he's worth 5m now, it's about what 5m is going to be worth against a rising cap as the deal gets older. 5m for a top 4 D is going to be a steal down the line as the cap rises, that deal will be a cornerstone of our cap management strategy in the post-MacK contract era.

Why I am Not supprised that certain Duo didn’t gave ”like” to this post, even it is 110% correct :rolleyes:

Great deal.
Hopefully this will help, to avoid the ”Barrie situation”.
We can actually sign Makar and Byram, without trading Sam away because we cannot pay him Huge amount of money (like Barrie +8mil)
5mil should be totally okey :thumbu:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

I'd rather base our future on the hope that Timmins can fully recover and progress. If he does then we have a wealth of defenders and that's never a bad thing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Holy f*** I didn't see that one coming. Absolutely perfect deal! It really is Josi 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad