Confirmed with Link: Sam Girard signs 7-year deal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The point of this deal isn't about whether he's worth 5m now, it's about what 5m is going to be worth against a rising cap as the deal gets older. 5m for a top 4 D is going to be a steal down the line as the cap rises, that deal will be a cornerstone of our cap management strategy in the post-MacK contract era.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I love this deal. It might look high right now but I like seeing them bet on his potential and this will probably look like a steal pretty quickly. Well done by the front office.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I heard he already bought a new house with this money.

hobbiton-supplied.jpg

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
AAV is a little high based on the player Samwise has been so far, but if he keeps developing well this gamble should pay off nicely in the latter stages of this deal. Good move from Joe; this is the kind of player I have no qualms about giving term to.

Fixed...
AAV is LOW based on what Samwise has shown so far, but this will very rapidly be a STEAL unless he FALLS from a cliff... GREAT move from Joe; this is the kind of player I have no qualms about giving term to.

I'd be curious to see if you can name more than a dozen Dman in the whole league who will make less than $5M AAV in 2020-2021 (other than on ELC), that you would take on your team in 2020-2021 before Sam. And I bet half of those will be on old/expiring contracts.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

This looks like such a prefect deal for the Avs to the point where I'm surprised Girard's camp agreed to it. He does get long-term security and a ton of guaranteed money so it's not bad for him either.

That limited NTC is good too. Having only 9 teams on a no-trade list still allows plenty of trade options (22 including Seattle), not that you expect to need to move him though.

One thing I'm a tad surprised by is that the salary in his contract is at a level $5m throughout. Maybe front-loading it slightly would've created a bit more flexibility towards the end of it to make it easier to move him if for some reason things don't pan out as you want. But I think the risk of that happening are minimal, and not front-loading the contract shows that Sakic trusts Girard to stay solid throughout his contract.

Excellent deal overall.

Reactions: MarkT and Avs_19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As for this Girard deal. I dont think there's any question based on his body of work so far that 5M would be an overpayment for him.

But when you remember his age and the fact this deal doesnt even kick in until next summer... I'd be willing to wager this contract is a steal by year 1. I think he and Makar blow up together this year and are not just a legit top pairing by seasons end, but one of the very best in the league at that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As for this Girard deal. I dont think there's any question based on his body of work so far that 5M would be an overpayment for him.

But when you remember his age and the fact this deal doesnt even kick in until next summer... I'd be willing to wager this contract is a steal by year 1. I think he and Makar blow up together this year and are not just a legit top pairing by seasons end, but one of the very best in the league at that.

I find this kinda similar to when Mack signed his deal. If he doesn’t improve at all it’ll be a fine contract for its duration and won’t hurt us that much really. But if he truly breaks out it will be a steal of a contract, and Sam is definitely worth that gamble.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That signing means that there's one less RFA to worry about for next summer.

Most (if not all) of our remaining free agents for next summer all have a lot to prove this season, particularly the RFA's:

UFA
  • Francouz
  • Nieto
  • Wilson
  • Connauton
  • Barberio
RFA
  • Zadorov
  • Jost
  • Burakovsky
  • Kamenev
  • Graves
It's really good to see that Sakic is being proactive in locking the right guys down, while only going short-term on guys who need to prove themselves still.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What do you guys think fair value is for Girard this season? I was thinking just under 4 would be fair based on what we've seen.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fixed...
AAV is LOW based on what Samwise has shown so far, but this will very rapidly be a STEAL unless he FALLS from a cliff... GREAT move from Joe; this is the kind of player I have no qualms about giving term to.

I'd be curious to see if you can name more than a dozen Dman in the whole league who will make less than $5M AAV in 2020-2021 (other than on ELC), that you would take on your team in 2020-2021 before Sam. And I bet half of those will be on old/expiring contracts.

This is a really warped way to look at it, but fine, let's play this game with your conditions...

5M or Under:
Morgan Rielly
Josh Manson
John Klingberg
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Josh Morrissey
Michael Mattheson
Shayne Ghostisbehere
Damon Severson