Confirmed with Link: Sam Girard signs 7-year deal

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Terrific player.

That pass to Toews tho for the Ducks 2nd goal was bad. Like really bad.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
6 more years, at 5M a year.

What a contract. Sakic made a bit of a gamble giving him such a long term deal straight out of G's elc, but he absolutely won the jackpot. One of the best value contract in the league. And like G said in that article, he guaranteed himself 35M over the next 7 years and completely removed any financial uncertainty or risk for him and his entire family. It becomes a lot easier to focus on the game of hockey once you've got that financial security locked in.

And for a guy who was coming from a family that couldn't afford to put two children through AAA hockey, you just know how important that financial security was for Girard. It was probably a pretty easy contract negotiation for Joe in reality.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
6 more years, at 5M a year.

What a contract. Sakic made a bit of a gamble giving him such a long term deal straight out of G's elc, but he absolutely won the jackpot. One of the best value contract in the league. And like G said in that article, he guaranteed himself 35M over the next 7 years and completely removed any financial uncertainty or risk for him and his entire family. It becomes a lot easier to focus on the game of hockey once you've got that financial security locked in.

And for a guy who was coming from a family that couldn't afford to put two children through AAA hockey, you just know how important that financial security was for Girard. It was probably a pretty easy contract negotiation for Joe in reality.
Girard being quite small physically probably contributed quite a bit to him taking that deal. One big hit could easily have derailed his career (or any players career for that matter), so he did the sensible thing and took the $35m that was on the table, instead of gambling to possibly earn another $10-15m. As the saying goes, $35m in the hand is better than $50m in the bush.

Whatever the case that contract is looking amazing right now, especially in combination with Toews at $4.1m and Byram on an ELC. We have 3 top 4 signed until 2023 for under $10m. :cool:

Reactions: AllAboutAvs and PAZ

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Girard being quite small physically probably contributed quite a bit to him taking that deal. One big hit could easily have derailed his career (or any players career for that matter), so he did the sensible thing and took the $35m that was on the table, instead of gambling to possibly earn another $10-15m. As the saying goes, $35m in the hand is better than $50m in the bush.

Whatever the case that contract is looking amazing right now, especially in combination with Toews at $4.1m and Byram on an ELC. We have 3 top 4 signed until 2023 for under $10m. :cool:

Yup, we can see the opposite with Gostisbehere. Initially looked like one of the best contracts in the league making only $4.5 mil, but an injury derailed his career and now he's probably quite happy he chose the guaranteed $27 mil.

Reactions: Richard88

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I think your first point has a lot to do with it. Like you said at his size one bad hit can change your future financial situation by quite a bit.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Any chance we can just use this thread to discuss Sam Girard instead of the "Is Sam Girard Expendable" thread? Kinda like with the "Timmons" thread.

I believe that thread was created to do a poll in response to someone saying G was expendable in the sense that they would trade him, but the thread title makes it hard to critique some of the aspects of G's game without sounding like you do want to trade him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Any chance we can just use this thread to discuss Sam Girard instead of the "Is Sam Girard Expendable" thread? Kinda like with the "Timmons" thread.

I believe that thread was created to do a poll in response to someone saying G was expendable in the sense that they would trade him, but the thread title makes it hard to critique some of the aspects of G's game without sounding like you do want to trade him.
No.

You keep your god-damned negativity out of this thread about G. Go bitch over in the other thread where everybody is ignoring his haters already.

Just kiddin' @Foppa2118. But if you say one damn thing about his stature, I'm going to call @Hasbro in to rain hell down upon your ass.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No.

You keep your god-damned negativity out of this thread about G. Go bitch over in the other thread where everybody is ignoring his haters already.

Just kiddin' @Foppa2118. But if you say one damn thing about his stature, I'm going to call @Hasbro in to rain hell down upon your ass.

LOL, can I bring up the fact he gets in trouble when he loses body position because of his lack of strength and reach, while still acknowledging he's a tremendous defenseman who makes up for those deficiencies with his high hockey IQ and great stick defensively, but will still have his weaknesses exploited in the playoffs if he doesn't have the right D partner to help him?

Also that Girard alone completely changed the blue line and therefore the competitiveness of this team when he was added?

Can we have those kind of discussions here without it looking like I actively want to trade him? Because I'm not sure that's possible in the other thread. :laugh:

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm actually laughing at the idea that anyone could ever take me seriously. I miss Bubba...he'd be the first to tell you I'm an idiot. Although hell..you were around way back in the day so you should know that too.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm actually laughing at the idea that anyone could ever take me seriously. I miss Bubba...he'd be the first to tell you I'm an idiot. Although hell..you were around way back in the day so you should know that too.

Yeah definitely wasn't taking you seriously on that. I know your sense of humor. :laugh:

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while but why'd you take the E off the front of your name here? I used to call you ET but that doesn't really work anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad