Sam Girard Enters NHL Player Assistance program

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Easy to think that these guys "have it all" - the money, the fame, the exposure . . . but they're human beings like everybody else.

SG is a helluva player. But you think he isn't aware that he is the on-line whipping boy of choice when there's a defensive breakdown and he's somewhere on the ice? How about seeing a "TRADE GIRARD" sign . . . on the road? If he had screwed up the way Makar did against the Preds, people would be howling at the moon. Jeezus, fans were telling him he sucks . . . on his dog's IG account. Yeah, these guys are tough guys by any definition. But between the ears they're like all of us - and very few of us could handle the barrage of ill-founded hate SG gets. And money doesn't cure it.

I hope Sammy G gets the help he needs and kicks ass when he comes back.

Last edited:

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Easy to think that these guys "have it all" - the money, the fame, the exposure . . . but they're human beings like everybody else.

SG is a helluva player. But you think he isn't aware that he is the on-line whipping boy of choice when there's a defensive breakdown and he's somewhere on the ice? How about seeing a "TRADE GIRARD" sign . . . on the road? If he had screwed up the way Makar did against the Preds, people would be howling at the moon. Jeezus, fans were telling him he sucks . . . on his dog's IG account. Yeah, these guys are tough guys by any definition. But between the ears they're like all of us - and very few of us could handle the barrage of ill-founded hate SG gets. And money doesn't cure it.

I hope Sammy G gets the help he needs and kicks ass when he comes back.
giphy.gif

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Love that Sammy might be on his way back and doing better, but I'm gonna facepalm so hard if Byram gets his game back together, and people say it's because he's back with Girard.

Rightfully brought up that Bo didn't play well to begin the season, but somehow it gets ignored that he was playing with Girard at the time, and they never really worked well together.

It also forces Manson and JJ to play together which isn't a great combo either. Just not a good approach IMO.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Here they say normally it's 2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms then after 30 days it gets really better. Obviously not the same for everyone but at least it's some kind of timeline.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Here they say normally it's 2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms then after 30 days it gets really better. Obviously not the same for everyone but at least it's some kind of timeline.

I don't think it gives any sort of timeline.

Very, very rarely is alcohol the main issue - it's usually the vice people use to distract themselves from whatever trauma they're dealing with. Overcoming alcohol withdrawal is a huge hurdle to pass, but you still need to deal with the root cause of the trauma.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think it gives any sort of timeline.

Very, very rarely is alcohol the main issue - it's usually the vice people use to distract themselves from whatever trauma they're dealing with. Overcoming alcohol withdrawal is a huge hurdle to pass, but you still need to deal with the root cause of the trauma.
I was talking about physical effects, obviously not the mental stuff which is impossible to speculate on.

If you suffer withdrawal symptoms you're obviously not in game shape regardless of where your mental is. After 30 days his body should be ok. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: PAZ

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

doctor tells me 30 days

first 4 fays are the most dangerous

I just went through hell stopped my benzos from. a swallowing problem and didn't taper long enough.

Another doc told me to stop and I checked with th pharmacist and she said to taper but I went 14 weeks on benzos and only tapered for 2 and thought I was gonna die

Went to my doc today and be said I shoulda went 7 weeks taper

I shoulda waited to get his advice when he was back cause I went through hell and still feeling the effects.

Much worse than alcohol ever thought of being and I wasn't on a very high dose.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
doctor tells me 30 days

first 4 fays are the most dangerous

I just went through hell stopped my benzos from. a swallowing problem and didn't taper long enough.

Another doc told me to stop and I checked with th pharmacist and she said to taper but I went 14 weeks on benzos and only tapered for 2 and thought I was gonna die

Went to my doc today and be said I shoulda went 7 weeks taper

I shoulda waited to get his advice when he was back cause I went through hell and still feeling the effects.

Much worse than alcohol ever thought of being and I wasn't on a very high dose.

Head down man and keep battling. You got this. Sounds like you've been through the worst part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad