Sam Girard Enters NHL Player Assistance program

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Tough losses to Sharks and Stars, bullied by Vegas, injured in the cup run the next year. Bulking up as a result and losing a bit of something by doing that. Just few possible things which might have contributed to the situation in one way or another.

Best of luck to Sam while dealing with this and kudos for apparently getting help before things got completely out of hand.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Let’s be honest, he looks like he’s aged 15 years in the past 18 months or so. Those eyes tell a sad story, man.

Hope he gets the treatment he needs and gets better.

Furthermore, I am proud of Sammy working with the PA and not letting the Avs bury this and deal with it on “their own.” Takes a lot of courage especially when you have an employer who would prefer anything other than public acknowledgement of an issue.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Yeah I think this is the kind of thing other players (and normal people not in the public eye) can look at and maybe make a decision with a tad more ease. It's not easy for these guys to admit they have problems, especially publicly. He seems like a smart and sensitive guy, I bet he'll turn things around the proper way. Honestly just the break might be good for him. He'll come back better in time for the Cup run.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
he looks like he’s aged 15 years in the past 18 months
He was never the same after the Vegas series. He stopped smiling, pretty much stopped his spinning moves and gained weight.

Vegas' heavy forechecking gave him all kinds of issues and if we go back to that series postmortem a LOT of people blamed him for the loss. He played his absolute worst hockey in the NHL the first half of the following year.

That's when he went from "little brother that everyone loves" to "too small gotta trade his ass".

If I were a betting man I'd bet that it all started that summer.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't like that he mentioned 'alcohol' specifically. Anxiety and depression...ok but now for the rest of his career whether it's with the Avs or another team, whether he beats his issues or not, he's going to have that 'alcohol' label until he retires.

I think that was a particularly bad move on his part and his agents especially when you consider that he's still only 25 years old.

Still, I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Good luck Sammy, I'm hoping the best for you!

I don't like that he mentioned 'alcohol' specifically. Anxiety and depression...ok but now for the rest of his career whether it's with the Avs or another team, whether he beats his issues or not, he's going to have that 'alcohol' label until he retires.

I think that was a particularly bad move on his part and his agents especially when you consider that he's still only 25 years old.

Still, I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

"Hey look, it's that guy who drank alcohol!"

I'm sorry, but what? The guy was drinking alcohol, not doing coke with a hooker during the Playoffs. If Sammy is going to come out and let the people know he's battling with his mental health, it's better for him to be honest than trying to hide something like that. Drinking to cope with mental health issues isn't a stain on his reputation. If anything, it makes him more relatable to those who are also struggling with the same thing.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He was never the same after the Vegas series. He stopped smiling, pretty stopped his spinning moves and gained weight.

Vegas' heavy forechecking gave him all kinds of issues and if we go back to that series postmortem a LOT of people blamed him for the loss. He played his absolute worst hockey in the NHL the first half of the following year.

That's when he went from "little brother that everyone loves" to "too small gotta trade his ass".

If I were a betting man I'd bet that it all started that summer.
I agree. I think it hit its peak after the Vegas series but I remember talks of playing Nemeth over Girard in the San Jose series. Thats when it began and snowballed. I think G not being able to play in the final 2 rounds in the cup run had him feeling left out. Look when they won the cup he doesnt seem to be all there. Just kinda there. Not to that same degree but I kinda know that feeling. Hes also probably really sad not to have big bro EJ around.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm just thankful that Sam is strong enough to seek help. There are so many people and resources out there to help, but, and I'm speaking from my own experience with mental health here, asking for help...actually acknowledging to myself that I needed help, might have been one of the hardest things I've ever done. I admire Sam, having to face these things as public figure rather than a private one cannot make this any easier.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Good luck Sammy, I'm hoping the best for you!

"Hey look, it's that guy who drank alcohol!"

I'm sorry, but what? The guy was drinking alcohol, not doing coke with a hooker during the Playoffs. If Sammy is going to come out and let the people know he's battling with his mental health, it's better for him to be honest than trying to hide something like that. Drinking to cope with mental health issues isn't a stain on his reputation. If anything, it makes him more relatable to those who are also struggling with the same thing.
Seriously, you need to be explained how society works?

He didnt just 'drink alcohol' (nice strawman) he developed an alcohol abuse issue which is significant enough for him to check himself into the NHL program.

Now, going forward ANY other team/gm is going to be wondering 'am I going to have an issue with this guy, if I acquire him/sign him' because that's always going to be the thing in the back of their mind. All I'm saying is... dont mention specifics - no good will come of it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I wish him well. Its difficult to understand what Girard is going through. To us he has it all. But does he really?

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Seriously, you need to be explained how society works?

He didnt just 'drink alcohol' (nice strawman) he developed an alcohol abuse issue which is significant enough for him to check himself into the NHL program.

Now, going forward ANY other team/gm is going to be wondering 'am I going to have an issue with this guy, if I acquire him/sign him' because that's always going to be the thing in the back of their mind. All I'm saying is... dont mention specifics - no good will come of it.
I can see this point of view, you can see it like he's rolled on his own sword. And that may be true.

However, I would argue he did exactly the right thing for the greater good. You know there are other players out there with alcohol abuse or dependency. Being specific is important to raise awareness and to show those guys who are struggling that there are options for alcoholics. Keeping it vague could potentially be worse. Making people jump to conclusions about what was going on - maybe he's a meth addict, or heroin. Which socially have way bigger stigmas than alcohol.

I back Girard being as open and honest as he wants to, and think that he may be opening the door, or propping it open for other guys suffering like he is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know some brethren who suffered a similar aspect; got a reoccurring injury in hockey, had multiple surgeries, used painkillers, got addicted to painkillers, and had to go through rehab. I know it is cliche, but the first step in becoming better is knowing whether you have an addiction or not and Girard did that. That's the most important and where actual help will come from, I wish him all the best!

Reactions: niwotsblessing

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Can’t wait to see you at your best again Girard!!
1701119513820.gif

He gonna spin past his troubles and we are going to see this stuff again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad