Rumor: Sam Gagner returning?

bolobow

May 3, 2006
Just a footnote to Gagners famous 8pt game. hardly anybody remembers that it was bookended by another 4 pt game so that Gagner had an amazing 12pts in two games played. The only player that wasn't surprised was maybe Patrick Kane.
Cherry picking a little more, he scored his 8 points in the last 2 periods of the 1st game and 3 points in the first period of the 2nd game. So he had 11 points in 3 consecutive periods of hockey!

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Sorry, Actually I just made that up. I found your previous post just made me chuckle. That said I was a fan of Lee and very much enjoyed Enter the Dragon.
Here I am…. Sitting here post two hours Vasectomy procedure. Sore… and you make it worse by lying!

Bruce Lee is pretty deadly though. Him and his son who was also amazing died was too young. All my faves are retiring. Van Damme announced he is doing one more before he retires :(

Soon…. McDavid will announce his and rip my heart out 😭 😭

Reactions: bellagiobob

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
He only played 10:36 even strength, that's less than Foegele, Kassian, and McLeod, and a minute more than Ryan. He outproduced each of them and wasn't getting opportunities with McDavid/Draisaitl/Nugent-Hopkins like they were. Detroit put him in a defensive role, he played well in it, and still provided offense from the bottom 6. That's pretty much what this team has been lacking for a while.
Well ok, you can have Gagner then. Just don’t make excuses for him when we put him out against another teams top 6 and he gets blown past, or knocked flat on his ass by someone bigger and faster and the “Sammy Snowpants” complaints start.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Here I am…. Sitting here post two hours Vasectomy procedure. Sore… and you make it worse by lying!

Bruce Lee is pretty deadly though. Him and his son who was also amazing died was too young. All my faves are retiring. Van Damme announced he is doing one more before he retires :(

giphy.gif

Great movie!

• Love
Reactions: tardigrade81

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gagner can't be worse than Perlini. Shore, Brassard, Turris Sceviour, Kassian, Malone, or Benson. At least he has ties to the city and seems to be well liked by the core
I could see him as a Brassard level player given his age. Malone I have some time for because he plays a gritty and tough game. The rest were meh at best. I hope that if we do add Gagner that we add some toughness up front for the bottom 6 as well. Imagine adding a guy like Adam Lowry to our bottom 6, that would be amazing if we could ever pull it off.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Well ok, you can have Gagner then. Just don’t make excuses for him when we put him out against another teams top 6 and he gets blown past, or knocked flat on his ass by someone bigger and faster and the “Sammy Snowpants” complaints start.

Why would he even be out against another team's top 6 with any frequency? Athanasiou is bigger and faster, that trade sure worked out beautifully.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Gagner can't be worse than Perlini. Shore, Brassard, Turris Sceviour, Kassian, Malone, or Benson. At least he has ties to the city and seems to be well liked by the core
That’s the point…we need to STOP bringing those types of players on the team. Let’s turn our attention to players that can move the needle.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

How’s that bag of peas treating you? Hang in there bud, soon the swelling will go down and sadly you will look normal again, ;).

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We all feel your pain buddy, been there, done that. :) It won’t last long though, you’ll be back doing splits in no time and your wife will allow sex again after the recommended six month healing period. ;). But as far as feeling pain for someone, nothing was as bad as watching our horses get castrated by the vet. It’s probably done differently these days, but 50 years ago it was pretty crude, and the poor guys would just be rolling around on the ground in obvious pain, and man, that was hard to watch.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We all feel your pain buddy, been there, done that. :) It won’t last long though, you’ll be back doing splits in no time and your wife will STILL NOT allow sex again after the recommended six month healing period. ;). But as far as feeling pain for someone, nothing was as bad as watching our horses get castrated by the vet. It’s probably done differently these days, but 50 years ago it was pretty crude, and the poor guys would just be rolling around on the ground in obvious pain, and man, that was hard to watch.
Did you forget a couple of important words?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Why would he even be out against another team's top 6 with any frequency? Athanasiou is bigger and faster, that trade sure worked out beautifully.
Yes, he probably would have to spend time against opponents top 6. If he plays here he’d likely have to spend time in our bottom 6. Others are touting how well he did in Detroit on the PK and without PP time, and claim he’d bring offence from the bottom half of the lineup. If we are playing on the road and the opponent has last change, you’re damn right they are putting out good players against Sam. I would absolutely take Athanasiou over Gagner. He looks good in LA and we’d still have him if salary cap allowed it, but his QO was too much so we lost him to free agency.

Since you’re all about questions, who should sit out of our top 6 so Sammy can play? If we can’t roll him out against an opponents top 6, why are we bringing him in at all? What organizational gap is Gagner filling? Is Sammy any good at faceoffs?

Everyone loves a good story. Sam’s return is a good story. He’s a likeable guy. Would he help us move closer to a Stanley Cup? I simply don’t think so. He’s still small. He’s still slow. He’s getting old and he still can’t win a face off.

Last edited:

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Yes, he probably would have to spend time against opponents top 6. If he plays here he’d likely have to spend time in our bottom 6. Others are touting how well he did in Detroit on the PK and without PP time, and claim he’d bring offence from the bottom half of the lineup. If we are playing on the road and the opponent has last change, you’re damn right they are putting out good players against Sam. I would absolutely take Athanasiou over Gagner. He looks good in LA and we’d still have him if salary cap allowed it, but his QO was too much so we lost him to free agency.

Since you’re all about questions, who should sit out of our top 6 so Sammy can play? If we can’t roll him out against an opponents top 6, why are we bringing him in at all? What organizational gap is Gagner filling? Is Sammy any good at faceoffs?

Everyone loves a good story. Sam’s return is a good story. He’s a likeable guy. Would he help us move closer to a Stanley Cup? I simply don’t think so. He’s still small. He’s still slow. He’s getting old and he still can’t win a face off.

Why would anyone in the top 6 be sitting out for Gagner to play on the 4th line? How about filling what Shore/Perlini/Sceviour/Brassard/Turris/Benson/Archibald could not. Shore playing every game won't be getting anyone closer to a Stanley Cup. We're not talking about Gagner from a dozen years ago. We're talking about a player who has improved defensively, while also still being able to provide some offense from the 4th line.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Why would anyone in the top 6 be sitting out for Gagner to play on the 4th line? How about filling what Shore/Perlini/Sceviour/Brassard/Turris/Benson/Archibald could not. Shore playing every game won't be getting anyone closer to a Stanley Cup. We're not talking about Gagner from a dozen years ago. We're talking about a player who has improved defensively, while also still being able to provide some offense from the 4th line.
My point is that Gagner won’t be getting gravy minutes with McDavid or Draisaitl. He won’t be protected by an offensive line. So you and I agree he will be in the bottom 6. As such, he’ll face a lot of the other teams top 6. You contend he can provide offense from the bottom 6 and is “improved defensively.” I look at him and his stats and I see a guy that cannot win a face off, is slow and small so won’t be physical, and had terrible Corsi and Fenwick number under a steady diet of defensive zone starts. I think he’ll get dunked on, especially if we put him at 4C. Can’t we find a better fourth line RW than Gagner? Sure he’s maybe better than Turris, but that’s why we dumped Turris. We are supposed to be improving. Does he really belong on the Oilers if we are an honest Cup Contender?

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My point is that Gagner won’t be getting gravy minutes with McDavid or Draisaitl. He won’t be protected by an offensive line. So you and I agree he will be in the bottom 6. As such, he’ll face a lot of the other teams top 6. You contend he can provide offense from the bottom 6 and is “improved defensively.” I look at him and his stats and I see a guy that cannot win a face off, is slow and small so won’t be physical, and had terrible Corsi and Fenwick number under a steady diet of defensive zone starts. I think he’ll get dunked on, especially if we put him at 4C. Can’t we find a better fourth line RW than Gagner? Sure he’s maybe better than Turris, but that’s why we dumped Turris. We are supposed to be improving. Does he really belong on the Oilers if we are an honest Cup Contender?
I am normally against a move like this for several reasons. It's not just hockey reasons like you point out, but also age and that it's not good to do a re-tread.

However, we are so trim on cap space that if he is willing to sign a league minimum 750k deal then okay. Give Benson some competition to be an extra forward on this team.

But yeah, that means that once McLeod is signed, Gagner wouldn't be on the regular roster. He'd be an alternate forward to cover in case of short term injury. That's okay

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

I smashed five Ativan for my vasectomy. Ended up hammering a TON of Chinese food afterwards. It was a great day.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

On Detroit, of course the Corsi and Fenwick is poor. That's a team that was bottom of the league in both.

Who are the options as far as a better fourth line RW? If it was up to me and doable, the entire fourth line and 13th forward would be getting changed. All of Foegele, Ryan, and Shore out. Unfortunately that likely isn't realistic at this point.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
How’s that bag of peas treating you? Hang in there bud, soon the swelling will go down and sadly you will look normal again, ;).
Hahahaa thanks my man. It’s sore tonight. Issuing these gel ice packs.

I told Leah…. No playing with the goods tonight. She didn’t seem to care lmao

We all feel your pain buddy, been there, done that. :) It won’t last long though, you’ll be back doing splits in no time and your wife will allow sex again after the recommended six month healing period. ;). But as far as feeling pain for someone, nothing was as bad as watching our horses get castrated by the vet. It’s probably done differently these days, but 50 years ago it was pretty crude, and the poor guys would just be rolling around on the ground in obvious pain, and man, that was hard to watch.
Omg……… that’s horrifying. Jesus Christ…. I mean. I don’t feel near as bad now. Man things were cruel back in the day holy shit.

I smashed five Ativan for my vasectomy. Ended up hammering a TON of Chinese food afterwards. It was a great day.
Lmao that’s amazing! And it’s super weird you say that. I was craving Chinese tonight but Leah I wanted subway grrrrr. Settled for Italian BMT. Was no Chinese food :(

We have a Chinese buffet here called Rose Garden and it’s so good. Been craving it for week. I get my money worth too. Usually have 4 plates lol

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
On Detroit, of course the Corsi and Fenwick is poor. That's a team that was bottom of the league in both.

Who are the options as far as a better fourth line RW? If it was up to me and doable, the entire fourth line and 13th forward would be getting changed. All of Foegele, Ryan, and Shore out. Unfortunately that likely isn't realistic at this point.
I’d have a lot of time for Brett Ritchie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad