Rumor: Sam Gagner returning?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I’d have a lot of time for Brett Ritchie.
Why though? Cause he’s 6’4’’? Cause he beat up Khaira? Ritchie hasn’t played a full seasons worth of hockey since 2017 and has enjoyed single digit point totals since the same year. If you want to talk about over-rated, or never living up to draft slot, that’s Ritchie. Skates around looking busy, accomplishing nothing. He’s a larger version of Archibald with less try. He doesn’t even hit that much. Neimelainen had more hits in half as many games. What is so great about what Ritchie brings to the table?

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Why though? Cause he’s 6’4’’? Cause he beat up Khaira? Ritchie hasn’t played a full seasons worth of hockey since 2017 and has enjoyed single digit point totals since the same year. If you want to talk about over-rated, or never living up to draft slot, that’s Ritchie. Skates around looking busy, accomplishing nothing. He’s a larger version of Archibald with less try. He doesn’t even hit that much. Neimelainen had more hits in half as many games. What is so great about what Ritchie brings to the table?

I don't get it either. Somehow, for some people, the cologne of his junior game still masks the stench of his NHL career.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yes, he probably would have to spend time against opponents top 6. If he plays here he’d likely have to spend time in our bottom 6. Others are touting how well he did in Detroit on the PK and without PP time, and claim he’d bring offence from the bottom half of the lineup. If we are playing on the road and the opponent has last change, you’re damn right they are putting out good players against Sam. I would absolutely take Athanasiou over Gagner. He looks good in LA and we’d still have him if salary cap allowed it, but his QO was too much so we lost him to free agency.

Since you’re all about questions, who should sit out of our top 6 so Sammy can play? If we can’t roll him out against an opponents top 6, why are we bringing him in at all? What organizational gap is Gagner filling? Is Sammy any good at faceoffs?

Everyone loves a good story. Sam’s return is a good story. He’s a likeable guy. Would he help us move closer to a Stanley Cup? I simply don’t think so. He’s still small. He’s still slow. He’s getting old and he still can’t win a face off.
So good that L.A. walked away from him after seeing him standing still watching McDavid score the insurance goal in game 7.(Only Kyle Davidson would give him a raise in this market.)
Hes much better than RNH at faceoffs and slightly better than Nathan MacKinnon,

Last edited:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Because he is younger, brings an element of toughness, and I think he skates well enough that you could play him at RW without being afraid of him getting exploited in a bottom 6 role. He brings some dimensions we don’t have. His size is also more suited to the playoffs, which is what we are clearly building towards. I think he’s a better fit than Gagner is. Gagner has far more skill and will put up more points at the cost of size, speed, and physicality. If the team was short of skill and scoring, he’d be a good option. We aren’t, so he isn’t.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I don't get it either. Somehow, for some people, the cologne of his junior game still masks the stench of his NHL career.
I don’t get how a guy who is “nice” and was once a highly touted junior scoring ace is the object of some people desires while they ignore his age and obvious limitations.

So good that L.A. walked away from him after seeing him standing still watching McDavid score the insurance goal in game 7.(Only Kyle Davidson would give him a raise in this market.)
Hes much better than RNH at faceoffs and slightly better than Nathan MacKinnon,
Ok. Ignore my questions. At this stage of their careers, my opinion is still that Athanasiou is better than Gagner. That’s not exactly an endorsement of Athanasiou either. Whatever. You’ve got a hard-on for Gagner so thrust away.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because he is younger, brings an element of toughness, and I think he skates well enough that you could play him at RW without being afraid of him getting exploited in a bottom 6 role. He brings some dimensions we don’t have. His size is also more suited to the playoffs, which is what we are clearly building towards. I think he’s a better fit than Gagner is. Gagner has far more skill and will put up more points at the cost of size, speed, and physicality. If the team was short of skill and scoring, he’d be a good option. We aren’t, so he isn’t.
We've had Chiasson, Neal, Perlini, Shore, Kassian all in that fourth line wing slot over the years. What does Ritchie do that they don't?

Gagner is at least a player the guys here already love. He's a skill guy who has evolved his game to play mainly bottom six assignments. That's the type of player you want for your prospects trying to break into the NHL full time. The guy who didn't have all of the necessary tools, but still made it work. Because most of the guys you draft won't.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We've had Chiasson, Neal, Perlini, Shore, Kassian all in that fourth line wing slot over the years. What does Ritchie do that they don't?

Gagner is at least a player the guys here already love. He's a skill guy who has evolved his game to play mainly bottom six assignments. That's the type of player you want for your prospects trying to break into the NHL full time. The guy who didn't have all of the necessary tools, but still made it work. Because most of the guys you draft won't.
Gagner is a skilled guy who has gotten good enough on the PK to hang around on a bottom feeder team. He’s not good enough for a cup contending team, which is what we are trying to be. He’s also getting old, and he was already pretty slow.

Hell if he’s that great why hasn’t Detroit re-signed him??

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’ve stated my position numerous times and it’s probably best for me to just let others debate from here.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gagner is a skilled guy who has gotten good enough on the PK to hang around on a bottom feeder team. He’s not good enough for a cup contending team, which is what we are trying to be. He’s also getting old, and he was already pretty slow.

Hell if he’s that great why hasn’t Detroit re-signed him??

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’ve stated my position numerous times and it’s probably best for me to just let others debate from here.
Detroit didn't sign him because they went out this summer and added depth. They signed Copp, Perron and Kubalik. So there's barely enough room for their prospects in meaningful roles.

Gagner would be a 13th or 14th forward. His versatility is what would make him valuable to the team in the regular season. He can play special teams, he's multi-positional and again, he's well-known and respected.

This is a player you waive.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Gagner would be a 13th or 14th forward. His versatility is what would make him valuable to the team in the regular season. He can play special teams, he's multi-positional and again, he's well-known and respected.

This is a player you waive.
Yes.

The Oilers as of right now will be running twenty players, however, the team can do paper-waiving with said players staying with the team. They just cant practice with them.

Elder players such as Ryan, Gagner, and Koekkoek can stay with the team They have no need to be developed so no playing time wont affect them long term.

This will help cover before game injuries, etc.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Because he is younger, brings an element of toughness, and I think he skates well enough that you could play him at RW without being afraid of him getting exploited in a bottom 6 role.
He’s younger and tougher. I’ll give you that. As far as getting exploited? I’ve seen Ritchie get exploited plenty. He is not some two way beast. Last season, while playing on one of the highest scoring clubs in the league, Ritchie had a worse +/- than Gagner. In fact the only guys on the Flames with a worse +/- than Ritchie were Lucic and Monahan. Gagner, meanwhile was one of the better +/- players on the Wings.

You’ve asked why the Wings don’t resign Gagner. It’s a fair question and I think it’s been answered. I wonder if you could explain why the Flames, who look to be all in this year, don’t appear to be interested in re-signing a two way stud like Ritchie who has youth and size to boot.

I’ve appreciated your comments because at least you aren’t just posting crap like ‘durr hobbit’, or ‘ranked 803 in the league’. To be clear, I’m not jumping up and down to get Gagner on this club. Nor am I blind to the short comings in his game. I just think at <800K, Gagner could be a nice piece of insurance in case of injury, an every other game player who won’t require any coddling and knows the system, or, at worst, a good mentor to younger players in Bakersfield.

As you say, we’ve both thrown out our two cents worth, and we aren’t likely to convince one another. Thanks for the courteous replies nonetheless.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I haven’t. I’m sore today. Last night wasn’t bad. Today seems worse.
Hopefully your recovery goes ok. I feel your pain. Been there. I’ve heard some real horror stories from friends so if soreness is your only issue, take hear that it could be far worse.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad