Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A depth player that is paid accordingly?!?

b291fcc2b8a69ba3359c05b3027f9684.jpeg

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Really curious how the center situation shakes out.
If They want to try Fabbri at C, Rasmussen up and filpulla.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Love the term/$ for a player like him. Gives us veteran protection against one of the kids needing more time. Great move by Stevie.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Maybe this means they’re gonna buyout Nielsen

I wondered this myself. Seems unnecessary, but if you want to make space on the roster, it makes sense. Those two additional years added to the end of the deal won’t be killers.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Thought we’d be bringing in some new blood we can use for the trade deadline,not bring in the same old recycled junk nobody wants . We’ll be lucky to get a bag of doritos for gagner

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I like Gagner. Always have. People complaining about this signing are completely out to lunch. If it was 3x3? Yeah, flame away. He's literally 100% buriable if he turns to garbage on the ice... and he's a gem of a person.

And also... we need to get out of this "let's sign a guy so we can flip him at the TDL for a middling pick" mindset. Being able to recoup a pick for a guy should be a bonus on what we're getting from him... not a motivating factor in signing him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Can he play C? Anyone would be upgrade over Nielsen or Filpula

:help:

Oh my god, you actually don't know who he is. I thought you were just playing dumb.

He's basically a 3/4th line tweener. He was a highly thought of prospect about 12 years ago (49 point rookie year) as a C but he's been bouncing around the league because he's just okay.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hate it. Stop giving Blashill low-grade veterans to f*** up the rebuild.
We don't need the C, and he's not good at C anyway.
And even if Fabbri moves to C, we've got enough wingers.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Hate it. Stop giving Blashill low-grade veterans to f*** up the rebuild.
We don't need the C, and he's not good at C anyway.
And even if Fabbri moves to C, we've got enough wingers.

He was already here and he actually played with some kind of pulse. If someone in GR or overseas can’t grab their cheese over him, maybe they’re just not any f***ing good.

This isn’t going out and signing Kevin Hayes to 7x6. Or Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson for a heavy deal. It’s a veteran who is actually okay at hockey to a contract that is

1) 100% buriable if he isn’t any good
2) appealing as hell if the TDL comes and he does anything positive all year
3) To a guy who is a high character dude who actually can mentor some of our guys like Zadina and Veleno and other young picks because he had the shine on the Apple back then just like they do now.

Seriously, there isn’t a downside to this signing.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He was already here and he actually played with some kind of pulse. If someone in GR or overseas can’t grab their cheese over him, maybe they’re just not any f***ing good.

This isn’t going out and signing Kevin Hayes to 7x6. Or Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson for a heavy deal. It’s a veteran who is actually okay at hockey to a contract that is

3) To a guy who is a high character dude who actually can mentor some of our guys like Zadina and Veleno and other young picks because he had the shine on the Apple back then just like they do now.

Anybody upset at this signing just needs to read this. Zero risk, only reward.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

But... but... roster spots!

What MBH is missing is that if a young player actually out plays Gagner, the contract can be totally buried in the worst case, but more likely than not he is claimed off waivers if he is sent down. We lose nothing by keeping him, and maybe it helps open the door to moving Helm or not resigning one of the other replacement-level players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad