Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm fine with this, no downside and maybe we flip him at the deadline for a pick or prospect.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
There are/will be plenty of spots for the young players to play. Chill out.

You might want to look a little closer.
Detroit has 8 forwards signed and that does not include Bertuzzi, Mantha, Timashov, Ehn. Assumming they let Perlini, Brodziak, and Erne go.
Those 8 forwards do not include Svech, Zadina, Rasmussmen, Brome, Hirose etc.

But yah there is lots of room for young players lol.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
The most precious commodity for a historically bad team.

You gotta have more roster spots available for fringe NHL prospects so your team maintains that pace.
Pacing for 19 wins this season! Now that's what I call progress!

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Detroit has 8 forwards signed and that does not include Bertuzzi, Mantha, Timashov, Ehn. Assumming they let Perlini, Brodziak, and Erne go.
Those 8 forwards do not include Zadina, Rasmussmen, Brome, Hirose etc.

Bert-Larks-Moe
X-Robbie-Zadina
Gagner -X-Fil
Nielsen-LGD-Helm
Timashov

I think Abby is demoted to the AHL and they will only keep one of Ehn, Erne and Timashov. My bet is on Timashov. So that would leave 2 roster spots for forwards open by my reckon.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Bert-Larks-Moe
X-Robbie-Zadina
Gagner -X-Fil
Nielsen-LGD-Helm
Timashov

I think Abby is demoted to the AHL and they will only keep one of Ehn, Erne and Timashov. My bet is on Timashov. So that would leave 2 roster spots for forwards open by my reckon.

I highly doubt Nielsen will be on the roster.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He was already here and he actually played with some kind of pulse. If someone in GR or overseas can’t grab their cheese over him, maybe they’re just not any f***ing good.

This isn’t going out and signing Kevin Hayes to 7x6. Or Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson for a heavy deal. It’s a veteran who is actually okay at hockey to a contract that is

1) 100% buriable if he isn’t any good
2) appealing as hell if the TDL comes and he does anything positive all year
3) To a guy who is a high character dude who actually can mentor some of our guys like Zadina and Veleno and other young picks because he had the shine on the Apple back then just like they do now.

Seriously, there isn’t a downside to this signing.

High character. Sam Gagner?
The guy former 6th overall pick who has been questioned about his consistency and commitment to defense his entire career?
That's the guy you're signing for character?
Glendening, Nielsen, Filppula and Abdelkader don't already float your boat in the unproductive character department?

Gagner's playing time will almost certainly come at the expensive of Svechnikov or Timashov. And he will almost certainly play.
He played 15:05 for Blashill.
More than 12:33 Hirose played.
More than the 9:41 G. Smith played.
More than the 8:20 Svechnikov played.
More than the 11:54 Timashov played.

Having watched Coach Trashill play ineffective veterans over unproven youth almost non-stop since he's been here, and knowing where former first round pick Svechnikov is in his development, and believing there's potential in Svechnikov to be a valuable top 9 winger... it's impossible for me to say there's "no downside to this."

The downside is obviously the increased likelihood Svechnikov is waived without ever being given a shot by this organization. That downside outweighs every option you just suggested as a positive.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I highly doubt Nielsen will be on the roster.
I think he'll be on the roster, he just won't be playing. Helm, LGD, and Flip are all TDL bait, they'll need Nielsen after the TDL even if it's as 4C.

Also, the lineup is missing Brome, I think he's the prime candidate to play with LGD and Helm, if anything that line will have decent speed.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Bert-Larks-Moe
X-Robbie-Zadina
Gagner -X-Fil
Nielsen-LGD-Helm
Timashov

There is zero indication that Gator is going to be demoted with 3 years left on his deal. Svech is no longer waiver exempt so he will be on the roster. Brome didn't sign to play in AHL. So again there is not enough rosters spots for the young players like Rasmussen and if we draft a forward at 4th overall.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There is zero indication that Gator is going to be demoted with 3 years left on his deal. Svech is no longer waiver exempt so he will be on the roster. Brome didn't sign to play in AHL. So again there is not enough rosters spots for the young players like Rasmussen and if we draft a forward at 4th overall.
If Raz and Svech can't beat out Gagner for ice time then they need to stay in the AHL. If Svech isn't good enough to play for the Wings, he isn't going to be picked up on waivers.

In any case, I trust Stevie to make the right roster moves, and I don't see any reason why Abby can't be demoted. He's clearly not capable of skating at NHL level anymore. You can't improve a team by holding on to dead weight.

Reactions: jkutswings

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Why do you think this year's pick is going to jump into the NHL right away?

Unless Stutzle falls to 4, that's the only way I see it happening -- and even then it's not a guarantee.

Reactions: archimet

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Gator is nothing more than a 13/14th forward, same with Nielsuck. They are press box warriors unless a injury happens.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Those 8 forwards do not include Svech, Zadina, Rasmussmen, Brome, Hirose etc.

In all the other years when we seemingly had a MORE cramped room, we somehow had playing time for ....

Brendan Perlini
Adam Erne
Taro Hirose
Ryan Kuffner
Christoffer Ehn
Dominic Turgeon
Givani Smith

On D

Joe Hicketts
Gustav Lindstrom
Jake Chelios
Brian Lashoff

Etc.

If guys like Svechnikov or Timashov want to play, they’ve gotta force the issue. You don’t get a shot, you earn a shot. I’m sorry, but if you can’t force the issue and earn playing time on a roster like this... you’re not any good. It could be due to a really unlucky string of injuries (Svech), a glut of high paid guys who suck so much that they’ve pushed themselves into fourth line roles and are immobile because of the big salaries preventing them (all the dime a dozen guys like Timashov, Ehn, Kuffner, Hirose, etc)

I mean, I don’t want to hear about lack of roster spots and going with crappy veterans when Taro Hirose can come out of college as an undrafted FA and take a top 6 spot.

It really sucks that Svech hasn’t had a sustained chance to show something. He is a good player when he can play. But with his bad injury luck, the “when he can play” part comes into huge focus.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
In all the other years when we seemingly had a MORE cramped room, we somehow had playing time for ....

Brendan Perlini
Adam Erne
Taro Hirose
Ryan Kuffner
Christoffer Ehn
Dominic Turgeon
Givani Smith

On D

Joe Hicketts
Gustav Lindstrom
Jake Chelios
Brian Lashoff

Etc.

If guys like Svechnikov or Timashov want to play, they’ve gotta force the issue. You don’t get a shot, you earn a shot. I’m sorry, but if you can’t force the issue and earn playing time on a roster like this... you’re not any good. It could be due to a really unlucky string of injuries (Svech), a glut of high paid guys who suck so much that they’ve pushed themselves into fourth line roles and are immobile because of the big salaries preventing them (all the dime a dozen guys like Timashov, Ehn, Kuffner, Hirose, etc)

I mean, I don’t want to hear about lack of roster spots and going with crappy veterans when Taro Hirose can come out of college as an undrafted FA and take a top 6 spot.

It really sucks that Svech hasn’t had a sustained chance to show something. He is a good player when he can play. But with his bad injury luck, the “when he can play” part comes into huge focus.
If Gagner is a barrier to a player making this team, the player isn't worth worrying about.

Reactions: jkutswings

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If Raz and Svech can't beat out Gagner for ice time then they need to stay in the AHL. If Svech isn't good enough to play for the Wings, he isn't going to be picked up on waivers.

In any case, I trust Stevie to make the right roster moves, and I don't see any reason why Abby can't be demoted. He's clearly not capable of skating at NHL level anymore. You can't improve a team by holding on to dead weight.

We have seen this in Detroit for decades and it is not going to change now. They aren't going to demote Gagner for a rookie that can be put in the AHL. We saw it with Helm, Nyquist and Mantha ALL being stuck in the AHL longer then they should have been cause a veteran was in there way. There is too many crap veterans on this team. We should be letting the Gagner's of the world go.

Listening to Yzerman they basically signed him.cause he is a right handed shot and can play on the powerplay. I love Yzerman and think for the most part he is doing a great job. But signing Gagnee just because he shoots right is a mistake and putting him on the powerplay is not going to turn out well. He is barely a 4th line player and is on his way out of the league. Give his spot to Rasmussen or Svech or Brome.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We have seen this in Detroit for decades and it is not going to change now. They aren't going to demote Gagner for a rookie that can be put in the AHL. We saw it with Helm, Nyquist and Mantha ALL being stuck in the AHL longer then they should have been cause a veteran was in there way. There is too many crap veterans on this team. We should be letting the Gagner's of the world go.

Listening to Yzerman they basically signed him.cause he is a right handed shot and can play on the powerplay. I love Yzerman and think for the most part he is doing a great job. But signing Gagnee just because he shoots right is a mistake and putting him on the powerplay is not going to turn out well. He is barely a 4th line player and is on his way out of the league. Give his spot to Rasmussen or Svech or Brome.
Yzerman is not Holland. I doubt he has any loyalty to Abby.

Helm and Mantha only played in the AHL for 2 years each. Helm still can't score and Mantha had some work ethic issues, plus his first season wasn't really spectacular. Neither were held in the AHL for too long. Nyquist and Tatar were, but that had to do with Babcock's preference for verterans.

Another season in the AHL isn't going to hurt Raz, and it's still questionable if Svech can skate at the NHL level. Granted I would rather see them on the PP than Gagner, and I think it's a meh kinda signing, but I will take Gagner over Abby, Nielsen, Ehn, Erne, or Perlini. This team needs scoring from every line, even if it's only 10 -15 goals.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Again. we have so many crap veterans and yet we continue to have room for bringing in new crap Perlini, Erne, Timashov, Smith got PT, Ehn got PT...

Mantha was “stuck in the AHL” because he broke his leg. He was on the fast track and then he got hurt and slowly came back.

Helm? What the actual f***? The team was literally in the Cup Finals his first two years. He didn’t get called up for full duty because the Red Wings were literally the best team in the league. Nyquist is the only one that you are correct on. They did him dirty.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Again. we have so many crap veterans and yet we continue to have room for bringing in new crap Perlini, Erne, Timashov, Smith got PT, Ehn got PT...

Mantha was “stuck in the AHL” because he broke his leg. He was on the fast track and then he got hurt and slowly came back.

Helm? What the actual f***? The team was literally in the Cup Finals his first two years. He didn’t get called up for full duty because the Red Wings were literally the best team in the league. Nyquist is the only one that you are correct on. They did him dirty.

You have a bad memory my friend when it comes to Helm so let me refresh. He played his first year in GR while only playing 7 NHL regular season games. He got called up for the playoffs and played 18. At training camp next year he won a roster spot but was sent down to the AHL in the famous the tie goes to the veteran speech from Babcock. He again played the year in GR playing only 16 NHL regular season games. He again got called up for the playoffs where he played 23 playoff games.

Detroit has been doing this bullshit for years and it needs to stop. The NHL is a young players game. Players are starting in the NHL earlier and being done their careers earlier.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You have a bad memory my friend when it comes to Helm so let me refresh. He played his first year in GR while only playing 7 NHL regular season games. He got called up for the playoffs and played 18. At training camp next year he won a roster spot but was sent down to the AHL in the famous the tie goes to the veteran speech from Babcock. He again played the year in GR playing only 16 NHL regular season games. He again got called up for the playoffs where he played 23 playoff games.

Detroit has been doing this bullshit for years and it needs to stop. The NHL is a young players game. Players are starting in the NHL earlier and being done their careers earlier.

Why is that bullshit?

He got higher ice-time in AHL and then added depth for the NHL playoffs.

Other teams are doing the same.

archimet

Aug 17, 2008

Don't get all riled up. I'm not suggesting the Wings are trying to win the Stanley Cup any time soon. But exactly which team in the Stanley Cup Finals is dominated by young players? How many teams that have been dominated by young players have won the Stanley Cup over the past 30 years?. Young players need mentors to show them how to become solid NHL players. Welcome back Sam Gagner and welcome to the team Mark Staal. Our young players who are good enough to make the roster will be better players going forward thanks in part to the mentorship they receive from players like Gagner and Staal. .

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't get all riled up. I'm not suggesting the Wings are trying to win the Stanley Cup any time soon. But exactly which team in the Stanley Cup Finals is dominated by young players? How many teams that have been dominated by young players have won the Stanley Cup over the past 30 years?. Young players need mentors to show them how to become solid NHL players. Welcome back Sam Gagner and welcome to the team Mark Staal. Our young players who are good enough to make the roster will be better players going forward thanks in part to the mentorship they receive from players like Gagner and Staal. .

Exactly that.

What Yzerman did at Tampa, he did bring some kids up (Stamkos and Hedman only) at start, and added veterans around them. Pushed other kids to farm for 2,5 seasons.

Final product will be the next Stanley Cup winner.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Tampa's stars are almost all under 30, so to answer your question they are.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Tampa's stars are almost all under 30, so to answer your question they are.
Huge difference between being under 30 and barely old enough to drink. Raz is 21, another year in the AHL isn't going to hurt his development especially if the long term goal is to have him play 2C or 3C. Granted if he's going to play wing, he's probably already better than Gagner.

Signing low end guys like Gagner and picking up Staal tells me Stevie plans one more tank year, so there's not much point in bringing up the kids just to lose a lot of games. All we can hope for is some upgrades next offseason when Helm, LGD Flip, Nemeth, Bernier, Gagner, Biega, Z, and Staal contracts are over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->