Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
That feels light for a solid 3rd liner. I wonder if guys like Gagner are simply concerned about staying in the league at this point given the uncertainty with the AHL and junior leagues (which could force more young players onto NHL rosters).

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Cheap vet who can help on the PP and mentor some younger guys. Can waive him if hes bad, trade him for a pick if he exceeds expectations, healthy scratch/stash on the 4th line if we have to. 100% risk free deal.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I like this signing. With Gagner at least he has a history of being able to produce some offense.. He can help set up the young guys who are slowly filtering in who may not yet be able to always manufacture their own offense. Cheap enough he can be buried or traded to any team.. Nothing to complain about.

Value wise vs some of the other players we have, this is pretty good.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I like this signing. With Gagner at least he has a history of being able to produce some offense.. He can help set up the young guys who are slowly filtering in who may not yet be able to always manufacture their own offense. Cheap enough he can be buried or traded to any team.. Nothing to complain about.

Value wise vs some of the other players we have, this is pretty good.

he’s very similar to how we had Vanek but Gagner skates better and plays better D

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
$850k is a pittance for a 3rd liner. My guess is that midling NA-based players of his tier will be forced to sign deals like this for the next few years. We might see some similarly talented Euros forced back to Europe due to the prospect of better pay + ability to stay closer to home.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Good bit of business. Low cap hit increases potential trade value and eliminates all risk for us, and he has a few aptitudes we are light on with our current roster. Very happy with this.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
In a Vacuum this is a good, no risk, signing but given there is a very real possibility that the AHL has a limited season, I’d rather the spot go to a young forward.

It’s a solid signing. If he has a good year he may be a nice piece to move at deadline for a 2/3 round pick. Teams will like him because he’s so cheap and with the cap being lower than expected he could become a lot more attractive
If we can get a third pick out of Gagner I would be ecstatic

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
RHS and has some skill to complement our youngsters in the bottom half of the line up. Gagner is a good team guy so a real nice move all in all

Reactions: grewalwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad