Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I’m starting to pronounce “Montembeault” like “Mutombo” now thanks OP! Lol

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It's more by default than anything.. we are very thin on young goalies and I'd rather invest in Montembeault than in Hammond when/if Allen is back. Nothing guaranteed but technics could be developed, especially at 25, fighting no so much...

Oh absolutely thin on goaltenders if Price can’t get back to game shape.

I don’t see Hammond staying for more than the end of the year. He’s just a stop gap till we can stabilize the situation. If I have to offer a contract to one of them, it definitely goes to Montembeault as he is 9 years younger than Hammond (who’s career is pretty much over).

For now, I rather run Hammond as his stats are better in every level than Monty, and his speed/technique is better. He doesn’t fight as much for the puck (which what I like from Monty), but right now he’s a better goalie (in my opinion).

When Allen comes back, and if Hammond offered good performances you place Montembeault on LTIR and let him have his surgery. He obviously seems affected by it.

Just by looking at the free agents at the end of the year you can easily find better back up options than all those guys. I don’t know if the new management has any plan for Monty, and I wouldn’t be against signing him but he would probably be AHL bound. I doubt he gets that much better, if by now he isn’t the best technical goalie and lacks speed in his lateral movements I don’t see how he improves much.

Everything depends on Price’s situation. It will be interesting to see how it goes. In the end Monty might be re-signed because of his RFA status and makes league minimum, could act as a stop gap if anything happens to an other goalie.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I'm sure that finally getting a semblance of team D in front of him will allow Monty to show us his true colours, however good, bad or indifferent they are.

Reactions: Tyson

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I keep hearing on here that dikembe is hurt and needs surgery?

Does anyone have the source for this?

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Why was he bouncing so much in the postgame interview? Looked like he needed to pee but couldn't. I found it very distracting. Excellent game by him and I think he has a great deal of potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last 5 games, 11 GA, .925 sv%

KEEP HIM

Good pickup by MB.

It was always Bergevin's strength. Digging through the bargain bin where he finds something 1/3 times. His larger long term vision was the flaw

Montembeault has been impressive to me. He totally got off to a rough start but busted his ass off and took the bull by the horns and accepted the challenge that he was going to face high danger shots over and over again. Age 25 and might become a decent back-up if he keeps this up

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why was he bouncing so much in the postgame interview? Looked like he needed to pee but couldn't. I found it very distracting. Excellent game by him and I think he has a great deal of potential.

I noticed that too. Probably nervous in front of the camera.

Reactions: Max2

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It was always Bergevin's strength. Digging through the bargain bin where he finds something 1/3 times. His larger long term vision was the flaw

Montembeault has been impressive to me. He totally got off to a rough start but busted his ass off and took the bull by the horns and accepted the challenge that he was going to face high danger shots over and over again. Age 25 and might become a decent back-up if he keeps this up

Shh! Don't say that out loud! Bergevin had no strengths and was the worst GM of all time!

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Against Buffalo, he was playing better around his net, that helps a lot the D. He looks in confidence.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Looks like a young goalie who has surpassed Cayden Primeau.
He looks like an NHL goalie with a competent D in front of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalfield22

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Looks like a young goalie who has surpassed Cayden Primeau.
He looks like an NHL goalie with a competent in front of him.

His development this year has been quite the story. If it was us to drafted him the in the 3rd round instead of Florida, who I am sure are none to pleased we took him, I think there would be more hype. He looks damn solid.

Reactions: Tyson

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I feel like I now understand what Ducharme's plan was. Put an awful team in front of this goalie and turn him into a great goalie. Okay, he is not great.........yet. But the kid has got to have mental toughness with what he has endured. He is getting better. Congrats on the shutout, Sam. So deserved.

Reactions: 1909

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He was so good that we need a 3-5 years rebuild

He left us with a good amount of players to help with that as he didn't mortgage the future. Losing Weber and Price sucks, but it is what it is. 5 years is pessimistic when we are starting out with a young core of Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov and Maillioux, to name a few. I get it, though. MB was the worst ever.

Last edited:

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Monty the reverse Campbell: Getting better with more starts. He has already doubled his NHL experience and has a .902 sv% on the year behind this awful D. Good stuff.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Against Buffalo, he was playing better around his net, that helps a lot the D. He looks in confidence.

He looks a little awkward to me dealing with sharp angle shots, and I think teams have also picked up on that, and testing him more and more from those sharp angles. He also seems to lose himself at times when the puck is behind the net.

Otherwise, he looks really locked in, and sharp. Chances against are way down, and maybe these games feel like a field day now compared to how he was getting bombarded before.

Reactions: GrandBison

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He looks a little awkward to me dealing with sharp angle shots, and I think teams have also picked up on that, and testing him more and more from those sharp angles. He also seems to lose himself at times when the puck is behind the net.

Otherwise, he looks really locked in, and sharp. Chances against are way down, and maybe these games feel like a field day now compared to how he was getting bombarded before.
He is most inconsistent goalie I have seen

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Just an awful game. Too bad because he'd worked hard to get his save percentage above .900. It was at .902 before the game.

Now, it's back down to .896.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad