Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
What happens when Allen comes back? Who do we waive?

Montembeault has been playing well recently, but I still believe Hammond is a superior goaltender.

They probably give a few games to Hammond especially if he looks good or get a win. By the time Allen comes back they might put Montembeault on LTIR and let him have his surgery.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Montembeault has been playing well recently, but I still believe Hammond is a superior goaltender.

They probably give a few games to Hammond especially if he looks good or get a win. By the time Allen comes back they might put Montembeault on LTIR and let him have his surgery.
Hammond played a total of 56 games in the nhl and is 34. He only has a reputation of being an NHL goalie cause of that Ottawa push in 2015.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Neither is Montambeault so....
A bit of work on rebounds control and he could establish himself as a good 2nd imo, and at worst he will be good for a tandem with Primeau in Laval. With an affiliated ECHL, there is no more need to rush goalie prospects in Laval or Montreal.

Reactions: Schwang

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You guys underrate Montembeault. He's around the age where he could be coming into his own. Honestly, he's really settled in and I can't recall a "bad" goal on him in a while. I would resign him, get what you can for Allen. Assuming Price isn't back, maybe grab Khubodin for next year. They don't need all star goaltending next year. They're looking at probably 3 years before being competitive. If Monty works out, then great. If he doesn't, it won't be a big investment.
I'm sticking by my assessment of Primeau. He's not the guy. IF I'm wrong, I think we're looking at 2 strong years in Laval anyway.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Look around the league, many goalies are making it for good around 25 years old. He is right there now. The storm in Montréal allowed him to play a lot, really get used to the NHL level behind a bad team, and no longer be nervous when he plays. Bad situations sometimes lead to opportunities. It's the case for Montenbeault. If Price is done, I could see him in a duo with Allen next year.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Neither Hammond and Montembault are legit NHL'ers; only, one of them is significantly younger than the other and could develop into something (... despite being really bad at the eye test).

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Neither Hammond and Montembault are legit NHL'ers; only, one of them is significantly younger than the other and could develop into something (... despite being really bad at the eye test).

Monty has had quite a few very good games. This is his first real shot at proving himself. The fact that he is flirting with a .900 sv% this season is a miracle.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You guys underrate Montembeault. He's around the age where he could be coming into his own. Honestly, he's really settled in and I can't recall a "bad" goal on him in a while. I would resign him, get what you can for Allen. Assuming Price isn't back, maybe grab Khubodin for next year. They don't need all star goaltending next year. They're looking at probably 3 years before being competitive. If Monty works out, then great. If he doesn't, it won't be a big investment.
I'm sticking by my assessment of Primeau. He's not the guy. IF I'm wrong, I think we're looking at 2 strong years in Laval anyway.
Ya I’m keeping Monty around for next year at least. He can tandem with Allen if Price moves on. Let Primeau keep building himself in the AHL as we repair our defence.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why not? He's 25. He keeps improving. Why discard him?
Has he improved? YA a little. Is it enough? Not really. If he is in the NHL with the Habs next season, it will again be a very long season. Then again it might be no matter who is in nets.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Has he improved? YA a little. Is it enough? Not really. If he is in the NHL with the Habs next season, it will again be a very long season. Then again it might be no matter who is in nets.

He has improved quite a bit. Maybe the stats don't show it, but it has been night and day since the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Schwang

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He's a lot more sure of his movements in net. You can clearly see that he's more comfortable and confident. Even having Allen in there wouldn't have changed the scores. Montembeault hasn't let in any bad goals in a while.
There's big question marks with the Habs goaltending. Theres no telling how any of the junior guys will work put, or Primeau for that matter. I think it would be unwise to let go of a young goaltender who's progressed like this.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Hammond played a total of 56 games in the nhl and is 34. He only has a reputation of being an NHL goalie cause of that Ottawa push in 2015.

You clearly seem to like Montembeault a lot.

He’s 9 years younger than Hammond, but before this season he had only 24 NHL games and looked horrible. He lost his starting role and was landed to Tampa’s farm team. His stats are horrible in the NHL (47gp-11w-18L-7ot-3.52-.893) and same can be said for his performances in the AHL.

I like that he fights hard in the net, but he isn’t a great technical goalie, weak on his angles and he’s rather slow in his lateral movements.

I don’t see more than a third string goaltender and even in the AHL he hasn’t performed better than Primeau. There’s better back up available every year.

Doesn’t matter how many games Hammond played or his reputation, watch him play he’s a better goalie in my opinion than Monty.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
You clearly seem to like Montembeault a lot.

He’s 9 years younger than Hammond, but before this season he had only 24 NHL games and looked horrible. He lost his starting role and was landed to Tampa’s farm team. His stats are horrible in the NHL (47gp-11w-18L-7ot-3.52-.893) and same can be said for his performances in the AHL.

I like that he fights hard in the net, but he isn’t a great technical goalie, weak on his angles and he’s rather slow in his lateral movements.

I don’t see more than a third string goaltender and even in the AHL he hasn’t performed better than Primeau. There’s better back up available every year.

Doesn’t matter how many games Hammond played or his reputation, watch him play he’s a better goalie in my opinion than Monty.
It's more by default than anything.. we are very thin on young goalies and I'd rather invest in Montembeault than in Hammond when/if Allen is back. Nothing guaranteed but technics could be developed, especially at 25, fighting no so much...

Reactions: MadMslm

Jul 6, 2016
I strongly doubt Price gonna play another game for the Canadiens. So, next season, we still gonna have a Allen-Monty combo. Let Primeau takes as much experience he can at AHL level. No more yo-yoing with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad