Value of: Sam Bennett

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And that second option is the only one that makes sense for Flames. Anything Flames might get for him at his current value most likely becomes even less of a player than Bennett

Remember how long the Oilers held onto Yapulov? You either believe Bennett will turn his offensive game around (and you be patient) or you sell him for some value you can get today. If he has another disappointing season at age 22/23, his value goes down even more. Not trying to troll him and the Flames but that is the reality of the situation.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For sure, but it should also be known the only ones who want to trade Bennett are posters on HF (it’s not the Flames). I’d only move Bennett for an early pick or a clear upgrade for a player at a decent age (obviously we would have to add).

I feel for the Flames with Bennett. 4th OA pick and you just want him to take the next step at some point. Age 22/23 next year... big year for him and the Flames need him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
True, I would not give him away either. But you have two choices. Move him now for lower value return or keep him and hope he develops into who you think he can develop into
Or keep in and be happy you have a solid third line player. He's already contributing.
He also played at a 26 point pace in 2016/17. I think his numbers are depressed, but the only time he's been able to produce is when stapled to Backlund's wing.
You have no idea how bad the depth in Calgary's top six was the last two years. Until Jankowski was brought up, Bennett had no one to play with of any substance. It was literally Stajan, Brouwer, and a bunch of guys who were not NHL calibre.

People also need to remember that Bennett is being trained to play 2 way game right now. Top end offensive opportunities are not a priority.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Remember how long the Oilers held onto Yapulov? You either believe Bennett will turn his offensive game around (and you be patient) or you sell him for some value you can get today. If he has another disappointing season at age 22/23, his value goes down even more. Not trying to troll him and the Flames but that is the reality of the situation.

It's still the best option of the ones you listed. He's an ok 3rd line LW at the moment. Flames could trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. And guess what, if Flames get really lucky that guy they draft with the pick could become an ok 3rd liner in 5 years

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bennett shows flashes of high end skill. Just flashes at this point. Those flashes turn into stretches when he plays with good players. He's still inconsistent offensively with good players, but it's more than flashes. Even when he is an offensive black hole he bangs and battles. He's our best forechecker and responsible defensively. Worst case is a speedy third liner. Best case is Ryan Kesler. Look at Kesler's production at Bennett's age. Very similar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Or keep in and be happy you have a solid third line player. He's already contributing.

You have no idea how bad the depth in Calgary's top six was the last two years. Until Jankowski was brought up, Bennett had no one to play with of any substance. It was literally Stajan, Brouwer, and a bunch of guys who were not NHL calibre.

People also need to remember that Bennett is being trained to play 2 way game right now. Top end offensive opportunities are not a priority.

If Bennett was good enough, he gets his top 6 minutes. I have a good idea. I respect your hope you have in him still. I also hope he takes the next step for the Flames. I was just giving you a outside perspective. Haven't been out west too much but I will be seeing a Habs/Flames game and Flames/Oilers game in November. Looking forward to seeing first hand the battle of Alberta.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's still the best option of the ones you listed. He's an ok 3rd line LW at the moment. Flames could trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. And guess what, if Flames get really lucky that guy they draft with the pick could become an ok 3rd liner in 5 years

My point went over your head. It was two options. Keep him cause you believe in him or trade him for current value cause you think he is who he is. Why do you assume I think the latter is the better option? It's weird... don't be so defensive.

hagan88

May 19, 2014
Dallas, Texas
It would be tough to swallow cause I know Dallas and Cal both still see future in these players but are a little disappointed. What about something around Honka for Bennett. Both 2014 picks that still could take off if given a change of scenery. Dallas can throw in Ritchie/Shore/Pick.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If Bennett was good enough, he gets his top 6 minutes. I have a good idea. I respect your hope you have in him still. I also hope he takes the next step for the Flames. I was just giving you a outside perspective. Haven't been out west too much but I will be seeing a Habs/Flames game and Flames/Oilers game in November. Looking forward to seeing first hand the battle of Alberta.

Last two years, Flames top-6 LW's: Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Flames top-6 C's: Monahan and Backlund. Lot's of room between 1) beating those guys for top6 time and 2) not being worth keeping and hoping he improves.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
My point went over your head. It was two options. Keep him cause you believe in him or trade him for current value cause you think he is who he is. Why do you assume I think the latter is the better option? It's weird... don't be so defensive.

It's my opinion that the latter option is the best (and only real option)

And by latter, I mean in order of your post I originally quoted

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last two years, Flames top-6 LW's: Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Flames top-6 C's: Monahan and Backlund. Lot's of room between 1) beating those guys for top6 time and 2) not being worth keeping and hoping he improves.

So Tkachuck was drafted after him and earn his top 6 minutes... passed him on the depth chart. Why? Cause he is the better player. More patience is required but you earn your spot.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So Tkachuck was drafted after him and earn his top 6 minutes... passed him on the depth chart. Why? Cause he is the better player. More patience is required but you earn your spot.

Yes. And that's why trading Bennett for his current value does not make sense for the Flames. More patience with Bennett, and if it doesn't work out, too bad. Better than trading him for a 2nd round pick

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Tkachuk is freakishly good. Just because Bennett isn't as good as Tkachuk doesn't make him a failure.

And Backlund wasn't any good until he was 24/25. Not sure why people feel the need to rush Bennett so much.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Didn't say Bennett was a failure though did I? The problem is you expect more from a 22 year old who was drafted 4th OA.

You do. But NHL drafts over the past 15 years are littered with guys who don't pan out the way they were suppose to from a top 6/7 pick.

Let's hold onto Benny. I want to see him now that Flames actually have some depth. The guy always elevates his play at least once a season to being our best overall player. If he could consistently just be a useful player, he's got enough skill to be a major core piece for Calgary.

He also has looked awesome playing with our best players. He looked great playing with Gaudreau; the issue was certainly also Gulutzan. There was a point last season where Benny was our 1RW. He looked good, and was dangerous with Mony/Johnny. When Flames picked up Stewart, they slid him into the top RW role and demoted Benny. A waiver wire pickup was given Bennett's spot, after just two games, in which he didn't look out of place. That tells you exactly how much of Calgary's issues were coaching. Also, while Bennett was probably the best Flame player for a 10-15 game stretch in November/December, they stapled Hathaway to him like no one's business. Garnet f***ing Hathaway. Instead of using the hot hand, they cooled it off completely.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Bennett's value around the league right now, 2nd rounder I imagine. The flames won't trade him though, The potential is there, even if you only see it in brief stints. He's also the highest draft pick in flames history, and was our current GMs first pick. He's only 22 and was rushed into the NHL due to an exemplary playoff run to year prior. Right now I see a player with low hockey intelligence, he tries to do everything himself and will take dumb penalties. It's not the easiest thing to fix, but it can be fixed with proper coaching.

All I know is that I wouldn't trade him unless it was a massive over payment. I've seen enough of the flashes that make the gamble worth it imo. Worst case Ontario, he's a decent 3rd liner who plays with an edge.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Didn't say Bennett was a failure though did I? The problem is you expect more from a 22 year old who was drafted 4th OA.

You keep saying he needs to earn top 6 minutes but our 4 best players are ahead of him. So ya it'd be great if he was in our top 4 but he's not. Our two best players are LWs. If he played on the right side he'd probably be doing great as a Flame. In like 60 games in the top 6 in his rookie year he was on a 40 point pace. Played like what 5 games with Gaudreau this year and didn't look out of place. First game with Gaudreau he got 3 points I believe.

I'm hoping for a Bennett - Jankowski - Neal third line. First time we've had legitimate players to play him with since his rookie year.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
They will hold onto him no matter what not everybody makes that jump at the same time..... William Karlsson's value was where before last season? Oh yeah expendable enough that his team would leave him exposed for free.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bennett is already a contributor to the team. He's capable of playing in the bottom six and bringing a physical game. Yakupov was totally one dimensional. Two entirely different players. Bennett already has value to the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's the only area? Sounds like a bottom 6 player type problems? Will he mature? Hard to predict but he is still young yet. He is 22/23 next year. It's time for him to show some potential of a former 4th OA pick.
Right now he is a 3rd liner, but that doesn't mean he will never improve.

Why do people keep bringing up Yak as if he is a comparable? Yak, was a liability when not scoring. Bennett is not a liability and contributes in other areas. So what the Oilers did with Yakupov has absolutely no bearing on anything. The only things Bennett and Yakupov have in common, is higher draft position and being drafted by a team in Alberta.

If you want to look for a higher pick that is a comparable for Bennett, look at someone like Nino Niederreiter.

No, your point is just being disagreed with. We all get your point and it's not a good one.

You say our options are:

A) Keep Bennett and hope he develops further
B) Trade him for what he's worth on the market

But with option B that "worth" is likely less than what he does for the Flames. People keep saying his value is a 2nd rounder, the odds of even getting an NHLer are like 50%, let alone one better than what Bennett is. Even a pick after 15 will (in most cases) at best develop into the player Bennett is now.

So please explain to us how trading him for a pick to grab an equal or lesser talent and wait at least a couple years in development time is an actual viable option for the Flames.....

HINT: IT'S NOT

Last edited:
Reactions: blankall

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
The craziest thing about Bennett is that last season, he led the Flames in 5v5 ixGF @ 15.01 (20th overall in the entire NHL), which was way above the 2nd highest on the team (Gaudreau @ 13.71) despite playing almost 200 less minutes. That's pretty insane. If he learns how to shoot the puck better and capitalize on his numerous scoring chances, watch out.

I really wanna see what he can do under Peters. Especially now that he'll no doubt have the best linemates he's had since his rookie season

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Nylander from Buffalo as a start point. Flames need RH shots, supposedly. More to the deal, but as a base this might work.

Personally I'm not all that interested in Nylander. He's a top 6 or bust player that's looked pretty pedestrian and is really soft. Bennett can play bottom 6 with a good physical game, and if he finds his offense and stops hitting posts is a guy that can play top 6 if injuries happen.

I'd rather just keep Bennett then trade him for something with a bigger question mark,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad