Value of: Sam Bennett

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Would Calgary be interested in a trade with Ottawa?

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
Zack Smith (3 x 3.25 ) Plays LW or Centre
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski
Calgary has no need for Ceci, Smith is 30 and not very good lately. Jankowski alone is worth that package.

Calgary takes it up the poop chute big time

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski

This trade is bad for the Flames for a lot of reasons.

On LW they have Gaudreau, Tkatchuk, and they'll probably play Bennett who did a lot of good things in a checking role.

At center we have Monaham, Backlund, Ryan, Jankowski, and possibly Czarnik.

So Zack Smith isn't all that interesting with his age and his contract and production last year, he doesn't fill a need.

Cody Ceci is ok, but if we're trading a guy like Stone its to open more space for Andersson and Valikimaki

After spending a bunch of time developing Jankowski he came up and scored 17 goals from the third line, so I doubt the Flames are looking at moving him.

It just doesn't do anything for the Flames.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski
Lol... Both Jankowski and Bennett outscored Smith and cost way less. Both are younger and getting better.

Stone is better than Ceci.

What possible incentive do you think Calgary would have to take on this package if mediocrity?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
My Isles are 're-tooling' and I think we need a young centreman.

I haven't seen much of him at all lately, but I remember following him in his draft year and really liked what I saw.

So...question time...

Is Sam even an NHL centreman? If he isn't one right now, do you eventually see him becoming one? And how soon?

What would it cost NYI to bring him into the fold? (No pun intended lol)

Would Sam Bennett + a 2019 3rd for Brock Nelson get it done?

Fire away!

Nelson is decent enough but he's not going to supplant Monahan or Backlund in the top 6, so he suddenly becomes an expensive third line center, plus they bought in Ryan to try for that third line center right hand shot option.

I'd personally pass.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ho-Sang would be nice, but I have no idea how their value compares. I don't find interest in Nelson, though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski
Gosh, what an awful trade. If I am giving up Bennett AND Jankowski, then I want to be asking for Ma. Stone in return. Absolutely no reason for us to be trading two young players who have built some chemistry together and are going to do just fine as our 3rd line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
First off, I'm probably one of the more critical Flames fans of Bennett. That said, it will take a top 10 pick. I know, that is a ridiculous ask. But from a Calgary perspective, it's what it would take. After the top 10, you are looking at more 2nd and 3rd liners than anything. Bennett is already a solid 3rd liner that plays with tenacity, grit and creates a ton of scoring chances; he also does it without being a liability in his own end. Bennett still has potential to be a 45-55 point second-line winger IMO, so moving him for a pick that will in most cases turn out to be what he is now or what he has potential to be just isn't worth it.

Now before someone me a homer, if I were the GM any other team, I would not pay that price for Bennett. But, that doesn't mean the Flames should settle for a draft pick that would most likely amount to a comparable replacement for him.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski
Both Bennett & Jankowski are significantly younger and outproduced Smith last year. I wouldn't trade either for a 2nd round pick. If we move Stone, it will be to open up a roster spot for Rasmus Andersson. Also, I don't dislike any of those guys enough to send them to the Senators, they deserve better than that.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
May just be me, but I'd think I'd want more than 26 points from anyone who played consistently in my top 9.
And if Bennett had shot even his career average for shooting percentage, he's have scored 18-19 goals and surpassed 30 points. Anyone who actually watched Bennett play, would know that snake bitten isn't a strong enough term to describe last season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And if Bennett had shot even his career average for shooting percentage, he's have scored 18-19 goals and surpassed 30 points. Anyone who actually watched Bennett play, would know that snake bitten isn't a strong enough term to describe last season.
He also played at a 26 point pace in 2016/17. I think his numbers are depressed, but the only time he's been able to produce is when stapled to Backlund's wing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
My Isles are 're-tooling' and I think we need a young centreman.

I haven't seen much of him at all lately, but I remember following him in his draft year and really liked what I saw.

So...question time...

Is Sam even an NHL centreman? If he isn't one right now, do you eventually see him becoming one? And how soon?

What would it cost NYI to bring him into the fold? (No pun intended lol)

Would Sam Bennett + a 2019 3rd for Brock Nelson get it done?

Fire away!

Why would Calgary sell low on him ? He is young and fans of other team will bash him base on his production to date . Maybe he never breaks out but what is Calgary going to get for him ? A soon to be UFA ? a late pick ? Better to keep him and if he busts so be it if he breaks out Calgary gets the player they draft him to be and all the rewards .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

To Calgary:
Cody Ceci (RFA ) RD
a 2nd round pick.

To Ottawa
Sam Bennet
Mike Stone
Mark Jankowski

Don't think Calgary trades Jankowski alone for your cast aways . They are very high on him

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Just terrible for the Flames, only the Sens pick might be the only returning piece with value.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Domi was the best the Habs could get for Galchenyuk and Galchenyuk > Bennett. Bennete needs to step up and have a good season. No team is going to give a "future potential hope" type return for him.

Well that doesn’t mean the Flames should give him away either.

Just so everyone has an idea, the Canes initially wanted Bennett in the Hamilton deal. Ferland was the one that got traded. The Flames even included Fox onto Ferland instead of including Bennett. So that speaks a lot as to how much the Flames value Bennett. The offers in here are absolutely ridiculous.

@Walk with Elias is right, it would take a top 10 pick for us to consider it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well that doesn’t mean the Flames should give him away either.

Just so everyone has an idea, the Canes initially wanted Bennett in the Hamilton deal. Ferland was the one that got traded. The Flames even included Fox onto Ferland instead of including Bennett. So that speaks a lot as to how much the Flames value Bennett. The offers in here are absolutely ridiculous.

@Walk with Elias is right, it would take a top 10 pick for us to consider it.

True, I would not give him away either. But you have two choices. Move him now for lower value return or keep him and hope he develops into who you think he can develop into

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He also played at a 26 point pace in 2016/17. I think his numbers are depressed, but the only time he's been able to produce is when stapled to Backlund's wing.
Wait, you mean when guys play with lesser players they might produce less? My god, what a crazy insight.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
True, I would not give him away either. But you have two choices. Move him now for lower value return or keep him and hope he develops into who you think he can develop into
There is only 1 choice. Hold onto Bennett unless some GM makes you an offer you can't refuse. This isn't a Yak situation where Bennett is hurting the team and showing no development in other areas of his game. The only area Bennett struggles in is offensively.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

And that second option is the only one that makes sense for Flames. Anything Flames might get for him at his current value most likely becomes even less of a player than Bennett

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And that second option is the only one that makes sense for Flames. Anything Flames might get for him at his current value most likely becomes even less of a player than Bennett
Exactly Kahvi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is only 1 choice. Hold onto Bennett unless some GM makes you an offer you can't refuse. This isn't a Yak situation where Bennett is hurting the team and showing no development in other areas of his game. The only area Bennett struggles in is offensively.

That's the only area? Sounds like a bottom 6 player type problems? Will he mature? Hard to predict but he is still young yet. He is 22/23 next year. It's time for him to show some potential of a former 4th OA pick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

For sure, but it should also be known the only ones who want to trade Bennett are posters on HF (it’s not the Flames). I’d only move Bennett for an early pick or a clear upgrade for a player at a decent age (obviously we would have to add).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad