Value of: Sam Bennett

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
My Isles are 're-tooling' and I think we need a young centreman.

I haven't seen much of him at all lately, but I remember following him in his draft year and really liked what I saw.

So...question time...

Is Sam even an NHL centreman? If he isn't one right now, do you eventually see him becoming one? And how soon?

What would it cost NYI to bring him into the fold? (No pun intended lol)

Would Sam Bennett + a 2019 3rd for Brock Nelson get it done?

Fire away!

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A hyped young player who hasn't proven himself and has no-waiver eligibility? 2nd rounder. Although, Calgary may not be willing to sell low.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
wouldn't blame Calgary if they didn't want to sell low...there's a part of me a Milano (CBJ)/Bennett swap would make some sense. Change of scenery, Milano is sorta redundant with DuClair coming in...and hasn't taken hold of the spot in the line up like his skill suggests he should

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Bennett has shown flashes of elite skill and is tenacious. At times it seems like he's done something to piss off the hockey gods as bounces never seem to go his way.

However, he does make bad decisions often, like trying to deke out 3 guys every now and then. His value to the Flames is much higher than anyone is willing to pay IMO.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
He’s worth a lot more to Calgary than in any trade atm. Not gonna be able to pry him out of there unless you’re willing to overpay imo.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He’s worth a lot more to Calgary than in any trade atm. Not gonna be able to pry him out of there unless you’re willing to overpay imo.

"He's worth more to his current team than in a trade"...

Holy jeez lol I keep hearing this...but the whole point of me creating this thread is to find out what it would take. I just want an answer.

What's your price?!?

LOL

Reactions: TS Quint

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Even if he doesn't develop further, he's an important part of the team. Cost controlled and tenacious third liner. With the Flames having potentially addressed issues in their top six, the Flames need players like that through their lineup. Trading for picks that might develop into solid bottom six players, makes zero sense.

That being said, if he and the organization do decide to part ways, Brock Nelson could be a good piece for the Flames.

Reactions: FishManSam

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The only thing that would make sense to me is a Bennett/Ho-Sang "change of scenery" trade, but with Neal signing long-term in Calgary I think they'd prefer to keep the center.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
I keep hearing this...but the whole point of me creating this thread is to find out what it would take. I even made an offer in my first post.

What's your price?!?

I dont think there is any way the Flames trade him without getting a mid 1st rounder back. This is because we have a lot of depth now. If someone offered that before we acquired Lindholm, Neal, Ryan, and Czarnik, I'm not sure if Treliving would have jumped on it.

Bennett right now is a guaranteed upper echelon 3rd line player even if he doesn't realize his offensive potential. He's still useful for a contending team as he always seems to play his best games in the playoffs.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
I also think that if the Flames were to deal him, it'd be in a package to acquire a better player. Any Antti Raanta, Cam Talbot, Martin Jones types out there?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I also think that if the Flames were to deal him, it'd be in a package to acquire a better player. Any Antti Raanta, Cam Talbot, Martin Jones types out there?

Nope.

How about a Thomas Greiss? Lol

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
A hyped young player who hasn't proven himself and has no-waiver eligibility? 2nd rounder. Although, Calgary may not be willing to sell low.
Well... he isn't an AHL player he is a capable 3rd liner at 21 years old. He is not being sent to the AHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well... he isn't an AHL player he is a capable 3rd liner at 21 years old. He is not being sent to the AHL.
May just be me, but I'd think I'd want more than 26 points from anyone who played consistently in my top 9.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
May just be me, but I'd think I'd want more than 26 points from anyone who played consistently in my top 9.
He went 15 games without a point ti start the year. That was terrible.

But you obviously don't watch him much. If scouting was merely done by going to hockeydb you would have an NHL job.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He went 15 games without a point ti start the year. That was terrible.

But you obviously don't watch him much. If scouting was merely done by going to hockeydb you would have an NHL job.
And then heated up for a month, and regressed again into a sub-par player again. But, considering how much you have emotionally invested in Bennett defending him for 4 years, your bias on him doesn't surprise me in the least. He also only put up 26 points the year before while playing 81 games. I've seen him a bunch. He works hard and is skilled, but takes dumb penalties, and is prone to making dumb plays.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Its worthwhile for the Flames to see how he does under a new coach.
This.

Sam was playing just fine until Gulutzan and his stupid robotic system got a hold of him. When Sam uses his talents instead of over thinking where he should be he looked very dangerous.

Playing with Troy(the puck is a hot potato) Brouwer, getting very little offensive zone starts and little PP time didn't help his stats either.

When Gulutzan was fired I bet Bennett and Brodie did cart wheels.

Reactions: Janks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad