Sam Bennett

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because perhaps there's a team out there that might be willing to move a prospect in a similar situation that might suit the flames needs better. But hey man keep playing sour grapes. It's insufferable trying to have a discussion with you after the last few replies to my posts.
So move a fairly recent top 5 pick with an entire 2 and a quarter years in the NHL because he's "a bust" for a prospect, that will likely have nowhere near the upside. Makes complete sense for a team trying to become a contender. You're a Penguins fan, so you should be well aware that plenty of prospects/young players take more than a couple seasons to develop. What if the Penguins gave up Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Dumoulin at age 21? I know they weren't top picks, but let's be honest, once a player is drafted, their draft position really doesn't mean f*** all.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So move a fairly recent top 5 pick with an entire 2 and a quarter years in the NHL because he's "a bust" for a prospect, that will likely have nowhere near the upside. Makes complete sense for a team trying to become a contender. You're a Penguins fan, so you should be well aware that plenty of prospects/young players take more than a couple seasons to develop. What if the Penguins gave up Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Dumoulin at age 21? I know they weren't top picks, but let's be honest, once a player is drafted, their draft position really doesn't mean **** all.

Sheary was undrafted so his road was always wait and see as he wasn't drafted high or you know, at all.

Guentzel performed at literally every level of hockey and has been out performing Bennett.

Rust is another not first or top 5 pick that was in college developing like the other two above.

Dumoulin was *cough* you guessed it, in college and developing.

You know what rarely works? A highly drafted player that struggles mightily for doing what they drafted him for. Bennett probably should have spent another year in junior and then the ahl. Now to put him in the ahl I believe he either has waiver issues or if he doesn't it looks like a demotion and could hurt his confidence, whatever is left. You know what happens when a prospect is rushed and moved later than they should should have moved him? A lesser return. The kid has solid defense acumen, but offensively the guy doesn't look like he knows where to be. If there is a kid that needs a kick in the rear as a change of scenery, it's that poor kid.

Now you keep getting offended. Not sure why. For one I don't want him on the Pens. I really don't. So any notion of me proposing JR trade for him is a non starter.

Oh and as a Pens fan I have absolutely zero issues with the flames. So not sure where the hate is coming from? Flames are probably the Canadian team I hate the least.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It is what it is. He's not the guy we thought he would be, but he's good enough to be somewhere in most lineups. I agree with those that say he should be dealt. The psychological change is a real thing, and could benefit him and the Flames.

A lot of sunk cost fallacy going on here with Flames fans. You win some and you lose some.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

topcheezy

Sep 3, 2017
Sheary was undrafted so his road was always wait and see as he wasn't drafted high or you know, at all.

Guentzel performed at literally every level of hockey and has been out performing Bennett.

Rust is another not first or top 5 pick that was in college developing like the other two above.

You know what rarely works? A highly drafted player that struggles mightily for doing what they drafted him for. Bennett probably should have spent another year in junior and then the ahl. Now to put him in the ahl I believe he either has waiver issues or if he doesn't it looks like a demotion and could hurt his confidence, whatever is left. You know what happens when a prospect is rushed and moved later than they should should have moved him? A lesser return. The kid has solid defense acumen, but offensively the guy doesn't look like he knows where to be. If there is a kid that needs a kick in the rear as a change of scenery, it's that poor kid.

Now you keep getting offended. Not sure why. For one I don't want him on the Pens. I really don't. So any notion of me proposing JR trade for him is a non starter.

Oh and as a Pens fan I have absolutely zero issues with the flames. So not sure where the hate is coming from? Flames are probably the Canadian team I hate the least.

you don't seem to know what you're talking about in general, but hockey is like 90% confidence. sam's confidence is a bit shaky so he's always been very inconsistent. even in his rookie year he had 1 point in 18 games, and 8 goals in 5 games. that's just how he is. his line with jagr and jankowski have been very good since being formed, but they keep ringing the posts. if you actually watched that line play it would completely foolish to want to trade bennett instead of just leaving that 3rd line as it is and wait for it to spark his offense

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Different players peak at different points in their careers, sometimes it is better to wait and let them go through their growing pains and develop when they are ready. As I tried pointing out, Bennett has been in the NHL for less than 3 years and to be perfectly blunt he probably wasn't NHL ready when he first entered the league but a 4 goal game and playing with Backlund made him look better than he was. But not all higher picks are high end players in their draft plus 4 seasons. Look at some of this recent higher picks:

Dumba didn't really break out until his draft plus 5 season
Morin still isn't an NHL regular
Drouin didn't break out until his draft plus 4 season
Couturier didn't reach 35+ points until his 3rd year in the league and now in his 7th year is finally showing what people thought he could be.
Baertschi didn't break out until his draft plus six season and in his draft plus 7 season he's looking like the guy people thought he could be.
Johansen didn't break out until his 3rd season in the league.
Nino didn't really break out until his draft plus seven season
Granlund didn't become a good NHLer until his draft plus 4 season and starting looking like the player he was hyped to be in his draft plus 5 season.

You claim things rarely work, yet in every top 10 I find examples of guys that needed time to develop, those that were dealt (with the exception of Sven) were dealt for decent returns. Why would the Flames just give him away? It literally makes no sense.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
HF is very fickle with prospects. Puljujarvi is already being called a bust.

Development is not linear. Read it again. Development is not linear.

I'll say this to start, I'm not bashing you in anyway because I agree with you.

It's just laughable to see Oiler fans call out Bennett for being a bust and then get offended that people say the same about Pulju or Nucks fans with Virtanen. It's just dumb. Look at Yakupov, guy actually looks OK now (not 1st overall good, but still a fairly decent player). Flames own Mikael Backlund is on the verge of Selke nominations (4th in voting) and he didn't reach this play until he was 26+. Bennett is 21 and Pulju is like 19. just lol at calling these guys bust.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Insane to see what happens when you get him away from the worst player in the league for a bit

He's been playing well of late but I'm still expecting more

You expect more than 11 Even strength points in his last 15 games?? You may be dissapointed but i certainly will not be.

Kids a beast, plays physical, great along the boards and drives the play. Jankowski and Bennett are becoming a great combo who will likely stick together for a long time. Points wont continue at this rate, likely will dip a bot but even still contributes in many ways.

Very happy Flames fan lately.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's on pace for 30pts this season, interesting to see if he continues to produce well (finally) and can crack at least 40pts. That would be something to build on for the kid. Although he should have been in the AHL when he was eligible to round out his game offensively.

topcheezy

Sep 3, 2017
first 15 games: on pace for 0 points
last 15 games: on pace for 60 points

it's amazing what happens when he's given some decent linemates. if that line stays together, i see him cracking 50 points this year

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Insane to see what happens when you get him away from the worst player in the league for a bit

He's been playing well of late but I'm still expecting more

I don’t know how much more to expect given that he gets 0 PP time. His points in the last 15 games is an excellent pace given that it’s all 5 on 5.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
first 15 games: on pace for 0 points
last 15 games: on pace for 60 points

it's amazing what happens when he's given some decent linemates. if that line stays together, i see him cracking 50 points this year
I wouldn't mind breaking it up, if we can call Mangiapane up and Versteeg gets healthy.

Mangiapane -Jankowski-Hathaway (this line has insane chemistry from the AHL)
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr (this line had pretty decent chemistry, but Versteeg was just awful around that time of year and they only played together for a game and a half.)
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland (duh-doy)
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

That'd be four killer lines.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Did anyone that actually watched him play think he was a bust?

Just goes to show [mod]

Playing with two rookies on the 3rd line and was probably our best line of the night

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad