Sam Bennett

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He just hasn’t been generating offense. To be fair, nobody in the Flames bottom-6 is. They have 2 goals in 15 games so far from bottom-6 forwards, both are from Versteeg, and one of them is a power play goal.

That doesn’t really excuse Bennett though because you expect a 4th overall pick to be able to generate some of his own offense.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
At centre he was a complete disaster offensively (he was below average defensively but could have been worse). Wasn't using his linemates, got bumped off the puck all the time, and I think was generally overwhelmed with the responsibilities of the position. He also took a ton of bad penalties.

As a winger in the last handful of games, he has actually played quite well. He and his line have generated a lot of chances, and now it's a matter of them actually executing. It should be better with Jagr, as Lazar has absolutely zero NHL scoring ability as far as I can see.

I have my doubts the Flames would move him given the fairly mid-level return he'd likely receive, but if a right-shooting RW of similar age and presumptive ceiling (that is, the ceiling the Flames think he has rather than the "lol this guy sucks" ceiling that Oilers and Canucks fans would posit) happened to be offered up for him, perhaps they'd take it.

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He is completely snake-bitten this year, has his stick in a death grip.
Lost of chances, but nothing is going into the net.
His defense has been just average and he's been taking too many penalties.
I think it's just all in his head right now, and that sooner than later, he will recover his touch.
He may never be the # 1 C that the Flames were hoping for when they drafted him, but I think he will ultimately become a Top 6 forward for Calgary.
I doubt that Treliving is considering trading him, current value is too low, future upside still too high.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Disagree that he's had a lot of chances. He's been in scoring positions and then fired into the bread basket or missed the not a lot, sure, but I wouldn't call that being snake bitten.

member 105785

If the flames wanted to deal him, who would want him? What would he fetch, a mid round pick?

Seems like Benning's type of player, from the Flames he's already taken Baertchi and Granlund off their hands

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Need to find another struggling prospect and flip him. Hopefully one of the involved teams gets a player back on track

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Disagree that he's had a lot of chances. He's been in scoring positions and then fired into the bread basket or missed the not a lot, sure, but I wouldn't call that being snake bitten.

So you don't consider a breakaway a scoring chance if it hits the pads

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200.webp

Does he = Nail Yakupov or is he just worse than Evander Kane?

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Flames have poor facilities, bad minor teams and a history of bad drafting. This guy needs to go somewhere new.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's been a tough start to the season for him. Snakebitten, buried, and as one of the more chippy players on our team, one of the players most hit by the new rule changes hit with soft calls every game.

First of all most of his play at center came when he had to deal with Matt Bartkowski, who coincidentally was benched around the same time he was moved to wing for the far superior Brett kulak, resulting in a mythical swing in his underlyings that have more to do with the team not having Bartkowski than him playing a different position (although Mark Jankowski is probably the best consistent linemate he has had all year, AINEC).

His underlying stats were also tanked hard early by one game (Game 1) where he had Troy Brouwer be the worst player on the ice all game... as a line they were like 10% xGF and that was 90% Brouwer's fault for his giveaways and sloppy play. A few other games Kris Versteeg was the worst player on the ice and good for multiple key giveaways in the offensive zone, completely negatting offensive zone faceoff wins by Bennett. A few other games Curtis Lazar was an anchor good for nothing offensively. I can't think of any specific game where Bennett was the actual worst player on his line until maybe two nights ago (VS Devils), where he was playing the wrong position (Left Wing). He and Jankowski are a good pair, but both incredibly snakebitten right now.

Second, none of these goals happen without Bennett, but the box score would tell you otherwise and that's gotta be demoralizing:
Perfect screen on point shot:

Forces turnover on the forecheck:

Forces turnover on the forecheck, AND screens goal:

Draws the penalty on Letang, Flames score on ensuing PP:

Hard on the puck, cycles it back, but 3rd assists aren't points:

continued...

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Third, take a look at these "almost" points by #93 and try not to laugh just a little
Has Lazar all alone back door with Andersson

Springs Tkachuk and Frolik on a 2-on-1:

Finds Versteeg on the doorstep:

Finds Jagr from behind the net, no way this doesn't go in

Sets up Tkachuk on a breakaway:

Part of a pretty passing sequence that naturally is a great save

In all alone on Rinne:

On the door step of Grubaeur

In all alone on Keith Kinkaid:

continued...

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Now imagine all of the above, from the same guy who scored this

and this

and assisted this:

and this:

and this:

among countless other highlight reel plays.

That is just funny. Sorry, but I still love the player. He'll break out of the funk he's in and it'll be hilarious. Though he may have dug himself a hole on the final stat sheet for the season. If the law of averages knows anything, it's that it'll probably come full circle in April and June for Bennett though!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hes snakebitten. Lately hes been getting chances and playing alot better. Jagr, Jankowski and him are starting to show some chemistry.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Now imagine all of the above, from the same guy who scored this

and this

and assisted this:

and this:

and this:

among countless other highlight reel plays.

That is just funny. Sorry, but I still love the player. He'll break out of the funk he's in and it'll be hilarious. Though he may have dug himself a hole on the final stat sheet for the season. If the law of averages knows anything, it's that it'll probably come full circle in April and June for Bennett though!

Valiant effort but nobody is buying it.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
He just hasn’t been generating offense. To be fair, nobody in the Flames bottom-6 is. They have 2 goals in 15 games so far from bottom-6 forwards, both are from Versteeg, and one of them is a power play goal.

That doesn’t really excuse Bennett though because you expect a 4th overall pick to be able to generate some of his own offense.

Flames mistreated him on the ice and for his contract. He's sulking. He'll do great once he gets traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad