Eklund Rumor: Sam Bennett to Boston

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Just because he’s underperformed doesn’t mean he has no value. The guys 21 years old and can already be a centrepiece on a third line.

Flames won’t still on Benny.
LMAO what when has he proven this? This season he has shown that he absolutely can't be the centrepiece or driving force of any line...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not sure what the Bruins would be giving us... I wouldn't sell on Bennett unless a team legitimately offered something of value.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Not sure where he would fit here. Obviously more guys could move, but I have a hard time imagining him supplanting Marchand, Debrusk, Heinen on LW or bergeron, krecji, nash/spooner/backes at C. Nash could replace Acciari on the fourth line maybe, but I don't know if there is a great fit. Spooner has 24 in 38. Bennett has 21 in 61.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
How about a Ryan Hartman? Probably wouldn't happen because the Hawks would be looking for a young D back. But I think that could work out value wise?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
LMAO what when has he proven this? This season he has shown that he absolutely can't be the centrepiece or driving force of any line...

Except the only time the third line hasn't been a tire-fire is when he's producing; carrying around Jankowski and whichever AHL level scrub is on the line that day.
The reason Calgary's trying to land a top 9 forward... is to give Bennett another gun. Not get rid of Benny.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I remember thinking the same thing about Yakupov.

Read below.

If you think Bennett is anything like Yak, you don't know much about hockey.

Bennett is a fine 3rd liner who chips in and can show flashes of brilliance. Yak playing for the Oilers was lost defensively, and couldn't use his tools effectively in the NHL against bigger players.

To think they are anything alike (with the exception of high expectations not reached at 21 years old) is completely asinine.

Reactions: Janks

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Except the only time the third line hasn't been a tire-fire is when he's producing; carrying around Jankowski and whichever AHL level scrub is on the line that day.
The reason Calgary's trying to land a top 9 forward... is to give Bennett another gun. Not get rid of Benny.

This is nonsense. That's precisely what i'm talking about- he's incapable of doing this for more than 5 games in a whole season. Getting "another gun" is actually a code for getting someone capable of lugging him around, not the inverse. Take off your blinders. If the kid was as good as you are saying then he'd be creating more often than not. That is not the case. If anything Jankowski's presence signficantly boosted his stats for a bit.

Kresco

Apr 10, 2016
This is nonsense. That's precisely what i'm talking about- he's incapable of doing this for more than 5 games in a whole season. Getting "another gun" is actually a code for getting someone capable of lugging him around, not the inverse. Take off your blinders. If the kid was as good as you are saying then he'd be creating more often than not. That is not the case. If anything Jankowski's presence signficantly boosted his stats for a bit.

Sean couturier is a perfect example....he has been a 30pt guy for years buried behind giroux and schenn...this year he finally got a shot and boom 60pt guy. Not saying Bennett is automatically a 60pt guy but look what happens when you are buried vs given a chance.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ugh

Was so excited... then I saw it was Eklund. As a Bruins fan I'd probably overpay for this guy. Love him before the draft and loved the flashes of what he could be. Hard player.
Merp. Wish it were so

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Bruins once traded 2 2nds for Brett Connolly. Value is probably the same. Maybe 2nd 2019, FL 3rd 2018 + cehlarik

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

How’s he doing on the top line tonight?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Goal and an assist. He looked good.

Oh, I know. I watched the game :laugh:.
The guy looked awesome playing with some talent. Again, proving my point. The guy's looked 'bad' playing with fringe NHL'ers. The guy's always looked great given the chance.

Remember the game earlier Monahan missed with a cold or whatever? The top line had 2 goals with him centering it. The guy was a ~40 point player in his rookie season playing with Backlund and some Jabrone.

You saddle him with Troy Friggen Brouwer, Kris Glassman Versteeg, random AHL'ers and other junk and expect him to carry a line on his own. He's not there yet. And the fact that the third line in Calgary has only looked acceptable when he was hot... tells you all you need to know.

member 290103

I think Calgary could probably pry Virtanen and a 3rd rounder out of Vancouver for Bennett.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Rumour makes no sense to me. Calgary has organizational depth at D but not at forward.

Why would they want to deal Bennett, for a return that is sure to be less than spectacular? They should stick him in the top 6 and see what he can do with better talent before giving up on him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Oh, I know. I watched the game :laugh:.
The guy looked awesome playing with some talent. Again, proving my point. The guy's looked 'bad' playing with fringe NHL'ers. The guy's always looked great given the chance.

Remember the game earlier Monahan missed with a cold or whatever? The top line had 2 goals with him centering it. The guy was a ~40 point player in his rookie season playing with Backlund and some Jabrone.

You saddle him with Troy Friggen Brouwer, Kris Glassman Versteeg, random AHL'ers and other junk and expect him to carry a line on his own. He's not there yet. And the fact that the third line in Calgary has only looked acceptable when he was hot... tells you all you need to know.
I think a lot of people just aren't getting the development program in Calgary. Bennett came into the organization physically underdeveloped and lacking NHL calibre 2 way game. Similar to Backlund, they forced Bennett to put in some time in the bottom six.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think Calgary could probably pry Virtanen and a 3rd rounder out of Vancouver for Bennett.
Lol.. Why would they have to pry Virtanen, who has been even worse than Bennett and has far less upside, out of Vancouver? Why would Calgary possibly want that?

Reactions: CF84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad