Eklund Rumor: Sam Bennett to Boston

member 290103

Lol.. Why would they have to pry Virtanen, who has been even worse than Bennett and has far less upside, out of Vancouver? Why would Calgary possibly want that?

Virtanen and Bennett are two underachieving players with lots of upside. It'd be like another Shinkaruk for Granlund trade. Makes a whole lotta sense.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Virtanen and Bennett are two underachieving players with lots of upside. It'd be like another Shinkaruk for Granlund trade. Makes a whole lotta sense.
Except not.... Bennett is playing like an established third line NHL player with upside to be a first liner still. Virtanen doesn't have nearly the skill of Bennett and has 29 career points. It's not even close. Lol pry Virtanen out?

member 290103

Except not.... Bennett is playing like an established third line NHL player with upside to be a first liner still. Virtanen doesn't have nearly the skill of Bennett and has 29 career points. It's not even close. Lol pry Virtanen out?

Well, cmon now, Bennett is the better prospect, but not by much. He's a guy that burst on to the scene years back in the playoffs and has ended up being a bust.

Change of scenery might be a good thing for both these players. Like I said, I think there is a good chance you could pry Virtanen and a pick out of the Canucks here. It's a call Treliving should make.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Well, cmon now, Bennett is the better prospect, but not by much. He's a guy that burst on to the scene years back in the playoffs and has ended up being a bust.

Change of scenery might be a good thing for both these players. Like I said, I think there is a good chance you could pry Virtanen and a pick out of the Canucks here. It's a call Treliving should make.

Lol Bennett is not a bust. He's still developing. He may or may not be a first line player, but he's been a solid contributor in our depth. He also has plenty of potential. Virtanen is looking like a bust. It makes zero sense for Calgary to downgrade.

member 290103

Lol Bennett is not a bust. He's still developing. He may or may not be a first line player, but he's been a solid contributor in our depth. He also has plenty of potential. Virtanen is looking like a bust. It makes zero sense for Calgary to downgrade.

LOL. OK.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
As a B's fan I'd be on board with a guy like Bennett, assuming it actually happened. What would it take though for the Bruins to acquire him?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
As a B's fan I'd be on board with a guy like Bennett, assuming it actually happened. What would it take though for the Bruins to acquire him?

Let's go with this, we still view him as a middle six player with tons of upside, in his first season he was on the 2nd line with Backlund and produced, we got Thak and Bennett got demoted to centering a 3rd line with plugs and he's been improving defensively while playing on the 3rd line, we have a top 9 most nights consisting of 8 left shooters and 1 right shooter, so we would absolutely want a Right shooting middle 6W or a 1st (we'd probably have to add our 3rd and take back a middling RHS prospect) or maybe a 2nd + goos RHS prospect and we mainly need forwards as we're stacked with defensive and goalie prospects, shoot your offer, I made 3 types of trades that I'd accept because I've seen Bennett succeed and improve, but if it's not in these ballparks, I'm walking away from the discussion board :)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Every time he's played on the top line with Gaudreau they've both lit it up.

You'd think a coach would pick up on things like that...

Reactions: BHD

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'm asking what you would consider fair. I have no reference point, so that's why I'm asking.

Look at my reply just a couple above yours, a switch with another middle 6 rhs player, or in a 4 piece deal with a 1st coming back (1st + rhs prospect with at least middle 6 upside(C prospect) for Bennett + 3rd) or a 2nd + rhs top 6 upside (B prospect) and im trying to be realistic here, ask any other Flames fan and you may not like it or they may hate Bennett, but i still see top 6 upside in him, we just have too many left shooting forwards

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Look at my reply just a couple above yours, a switch with another middle 6 rhs player, or in a 4 piece deal with a 1st coming back (1st + rhs prospect with at least middle 6 upside(C prospect) for Bennett + 3rd) or a 2nd + rhs top 6 upside (B prospect) and im trying to be realistic here, ask any other Flames fan and you may not like it or they may hate Bennett, but i still see top 6 upside in him, we just have too many left shooting forwards

So would a something like Austin Czarnik + 2nd for Bennett work?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Probably not what you're looking for based on your response above.

Victim of the numbers game on the Bruins but he'd probably no more than a 4th liner at this point. Already 25.

I just Google searched him but that only helps on with stats, 134 games played with 131 points in the AHL over the last four years and in two try outs in the NHL he has 59 games I think it was but only 12 points, he was hot in 3 games getting 3 A's about two weeks ago but has only played 10 total this season in the NHL, older player but still young ish.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Can you fill me in a bit about Czarnik?

Older prospect that it a causality of the numbers game. Look great in his last call up, but had we played him one more game he'd require waivers. Small but fierce competitor, can play a C/W. Played on the 4th line for us, but he certainly wasn't going to play on the 3rd in front of Backes. His ceiling is a 3rd line, but he's probably a tweener of the 3/4

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Zero reason to sell on Bennett right now. He's underperformed, but he's still a bottom 6 hard nose utility player at this point, something every team needs. With potential to boot.

Unless it was for a very similar player, age wise, potential wise, needing a change of scenery. Not a lot out there right now.

Without a 1st, it would be nice to recoup a pick or two, but we gotta make the playoffs, so it makes no sense.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Older prospect that it a causality of the numbers game. Look great in his last call up, but had we played him one more game he'd require waivers. Small but fierce competitor, can play a C/W. Played on the 4th line for us, but he certainly wasn't going to play on the 3rd in front of Backes. His ceiling is a 3rd line, but he's probably a tweener of the 3/4

Well by both of the replies i got im starting to think it'd need to be someone with a bit more upside, more like 2nd line at best and 3rd/4th line at worst, can be versatile through the middle lines imo, but it does look pretty fair, is he any good defensively? Maybe make the 2nd conditional on playoffs? If you make it to the ECF we get your 1st and give up our highest 4th? If you don't reach the ECF it stays as a 2nd with no pick returned?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well by both of the replies i got im starting to think it'd need to be someone with a bit more upside, more like 2nd line at best and 3rd/4th line at worst, can be versatile through the middle lines imo, but it does look pretty fair, is he any good defensively? Maybe make the 2nd conditional on playoffs? If you make it to the ECF we get your 1st and give up our highest 4th? If you don't reach the ECF it stays as a 2nd with no pick returned?

Look at what Grabner just got. You think Bennett gets a conditional 2nd? That turns into a 1st? Holy cow.

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
As a Leaf fan I would give up our 1st in 2018 and a guy like Leivo for Bennett. I still think he can be an impact player.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Look at what Grabner just got. You think Bennett gets a conditional 2nd? That turns into a 1st? Holy cow.

Look at the age differences, look at the importance of youth in the NHL, yes I think Bennett can get a conditional 27th-31st OV pick, he has upside unlike Grabner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad