Confirmed with Link: Sam Bennett re-signs to a 4 year, $17.6M contract (4.4M AAV)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
For those of you worried about huby, he had great chemistry with bennett so if anything, I think this will help resigning him. Huby wants to win bad and good best chance will be to do it here.

Bennett is also more than just the stats, he's versatile and plays how we want to play. Needs to be more disciplined, but he'll learn. We just showed him we have confidence that he can. Guy will be stoked and give us his all. Contact will look great in a year from now.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
These reactions always crack me up. What people seem to not consider or at the least discount is that players do have some leverage in negotiations. I feel like some believe and expect that a team can just sign a player to whatever contract value the team sees fit. It just doesn't work that way for a variety of reasons. The deal is about what I expected and fine with it.

Reactions: SoupyFIN and Clint

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
This is going to be so funny for the yikes people on the main boards lol. He’s going to have a 50-60 point season while pissing everyone off and I’m going to love it.

Yup.

These kind of players are extremely rare. I'm glad we locked him up.

Edit: Lol I just read this post after I posted on the Trade boards. I said the same exact thing hahaha.

Reactions: Clint

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yup.

These kind of players are extremely rare. I'm glad we locked him up.

Edit: Lol I just read this post after I posted on the Trade boards. I said the same exact thing hahaha.
Cesspool there lmao. People just want a reason to hate Florida and soon they will be able to much easier because their favorite team is going to get slapped.

Reactions: Vilam

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
My guess was 3.67per on a 3yr deal, cutting into another ufa year with a 4yr deal instead the 4.4per makes sense and seems reasonable. Now just waiting on reinhart’s contract

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Holy shit this is an incredibly reasonable deal. Even is he takes a somewhat marginal step back in offensive production - as should probably be expected - this is very fair in AAV and term for both sides.

I honestly don't think I've been this excited to be a Panther fan since 1996. This deal is timed perfectly to correspond with our Cup window. I hate to be a fanboy but Zito really is doing an incredible job.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Only issue with this is that (assuming the reports of them signing long term are true) no way Reinhart gets under $6m x 6y and Verhaeghe gets under $5m x 5y.
Not that they aren't worth that, but we've been pretty spoiled.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Only issue with this is that (assuming the reports of them signing long term are true) no way Reinhart gets under $6m x 6y and Verhaeghe gets under $5m x 5y.
Not that they aren't worth that, but we've been pretty spoiled.

I don't think Verhaeghe will be as high as we think. We need to remember that he's currently making $1 mill per season and outside of last season, was relatively unproven. It will likely be a pretty reasonable # over 2-3 years that will take him to UFA imo. This is also likely why Zito wants to get it done a year in advance.

Reinhart is an entirely different situation. It could be anywhere from like 5.5 to 7.5 per...that might be a tough negotiation, but I don't think Zito makes that trade without knowing in advance where it's likely to land, so we'll see.

Reactions: Vilam

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Barkov needs to earn more than Bob. Just to make a statement his contract should be one of the most expensive in the league.

That is know a Question point, we started this Discussion Years befor. For the Player alone all the Money i can get might save his Hockey Carrer and later on.
If you win a Cup or might have a Chance on it, you pass on a 1 or 1,5 and get a good Team around you and play for the Cup.

Even its Barkov and Huberdeau and as a Fan you must say, would anything run usual and normal all those Players should earn 10 Million contracts, only as Franchise Player.
Like Tavares, Matthews, Marner get or as Kane and Toews.
But Teams like Colorado or Islanders with more normal contracts, are those teams who play for the Cup.
Not even the Isles have a Contract over 10 Million. There might be something about it, that Team with more Depth and none over the Top Contracts play for the Cup.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I’m thinking Swaggy won’t be higher than $2.5 right? He shouldn’t get Duke money right out of the gate.

-ghoste

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't think Verhaeghe will be as high as we think. We need to remember that he's currently making $1 mill per season and outside of last season, was relatively unproven. It will likely be a pretty reasonable # over 2-3 years that will take him to UFA imo. This is also likely why Zito wants to get it done a year in advance.

Reinhart is an entirely different situation. It could be anywhere from like 5.5 to 7.5 per...that might be a tough negotiation, but I don't think Zito makes that trade without knowing in advance where it's likely to land, so we'll see.
I could see Verh taking 3 yrs at $3.5, and Z trying to do 4yrs at that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is a great deal. Backloaded as Zito probably had to buy UFA years. Not any 7 year contracts you cant get rid of. Zito is doing an amazing job

Every multi-year contract signed this summer is being backloaded.

Escrow in 2021-22 is going to be around 18% before declining to 10% and 6% in the next two seasons. The agents are demanding backloaded contracts for their clients.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I’m thinking Swaggy won’t be higher than $2.5 right? He shouldn’t get Duke money right out of the gate.

-ghoste
He was scoring at 65 point, 33 goal pace over a full season.
I think 3.5 x 3 is about the lowest we can expect, and I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher than that.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Interesting contract. Was it a small sample size and a hot streak? Will Bennett bring less effort over a full season? These are legitimate questions.

I dismiss the argument that he was a product of Huberdeau, because those of us who follow the team can clearly see that was not the case. Barkov can produce points with a pool noodle and an inflatable horsey, but Huberdeau has shown that he needs quality help to realize his full potential.

I do know that I like this team a hell of a lot more with Bennett on the ice than I do with him off of it.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad