Confirmed with Link: Sam Bennett re-signs to a 4 year, $17.6M contract (4.4M AAV)

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I am very happy with the signing. As has been mentioned by others, Bennett had great chemistry with Huberdeau and this solidifies a very strong second line. Huberdeau/Bennett/Duclair is an awesome second line.

The first line, Verheage/Barkov/Reinhart, could/should have 2 of the three be ppg players. The second line should have at least on ppg player (Huby) and Bennett not too far behind.

Wow, even if Bob gives up his customary 3 per game it shouldn't be an issue!

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
IDk. Seems 1M$ too high. It's risky. Only 15 game sample size.

In the end im fine if it doesnt cause us to lose Barky/Huby in 1-2 years

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Term is great. The AAV is a tad high maybe, but we're buying UFA years so that's the reality. Would have been nice to keep it under $4 mill, but oh well.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Bennett was not getting 3.4 million for 4 years lmao. He would’ve taken a one year and then we’d be screwed.

I understand thatt because he gave up UFA years. Just that I dont wanna be losing Barky/Huby down the road because re-up Reinhart, Bennett and maybe Vergh. Verghauge expecially if he gets a 4x4 or more extension based on one season

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I understand thatt because he gave up UFA years. Just that I dont wanna be losing Barky/Huby down the road because re-up Reinhart, Bennett and maybe Vergh. Verghauge expecially if he gets a 4x4 or more extension based on one season
The Bennett contract isn’t even terrible if he stays a 30 point player. He will PK and aggravate other players and that costs money. He would be 1-1.5 overpaid at that point maximum.

Reactions: Clint

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

imo Verhaeghe gets $5x4 or $4.5x3.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I agree. What does everyone think he would get as a UFA after next season? More than 4.4 I would bet!

With his Flames' track record... $3.5milx4.
e: but then again Gudbranson got $4milx3 as a fringe NHLer so anything is possible...

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The Bennett contract isn’t even terrible if he stays a 30 point player. He will PK and aggravate other players and that costs money. He would be 1-1.5 overpaid at that point maximum.

Its not terrible deal. Its just every signing we make just scares me more and more we losing Barky / Huby. I dont wanna lose either. Love the guys

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Fine deal, although I would have prefered us to sign Reinhart first... as a benchmark.

Basically means Wennberg is gone except if we get rid of Stråls?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I think this contract is fine. He makes his living in front of the net and getting fed by huby. No reason he can’t regularly hit 25 + 25

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
There's some risk to this, but Bennett had nothing to gain from accepting a low-ball offer with one year away from UFA.
This is where I'm at. It's maybe 600k too high given the small size sample, but OTOH, if he has a 60 point, 20 goals season (which looks realistic given that he was scoring at a 1.33 ppg pace and 0.33 goals per game during his 15 games with us), then this will actually be a really great contract. It's somewhat risky, but the potential gain is a physical top 6 guy for 4 years at a cheap price and the odds for this outcome are pretty good.
Ideally I'd have liked a little less money but that would have come with less term; this is a good gamble to take. A solid B from me for the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupyFIN

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
This is where I'm at. It's maybe 600k too high given the small size sample, but OTOH, if he has a 60 point, 20 goals season (which looks realistic given that he was scoring at a 1.33 ppg pace and 0.33 goals per game during his 20 games with us), then this will actually be a really great contract. It's somewhat risky, but the potential gain is a physical top 6 guy for 4 years at a cheap price and the odds for this outcome are pretty good.
Ideally I'd have liked a little less money but that would have come with less term; this is a good gamble to take. A solid B from me for the deal.

You also have to add a bonus for him not taking shit from anyone and ready to drop gloves when needed. That's pretty rare for a top six guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->